Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ridgeview2

Mandalorian Season 2

The old thread for season 1 was locked, so I'll make another for season 2. Holy. Crap. Is anyone else watching the new season over on Disney+? We are three episodes into season 2 and all three have been bangers. Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni are single handedly saving Star Wars from the disastrous sequel trilogy.

The world building is amazing in this show and I love that they dive deep into the lore and introducing characters from Clone Wars and original trilogy. My only complaint about this show is how short the season is. Once again it's only 8 episodes and average run time per episode is 38 minutes. I wish each episode were at least an hour if it's going to be an 8 episode season. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

I'm absolutely loving this season... especially yesterday's episode. 

Did anyone else catch the Apollo 13 reference? 

Spoiler

It was freaking awesome to see Katee Sackhoff get to reprise Bo-Katan, especially since that part in TCW was written specifically for her, and the character was based off of her. 

The Ahsoka reference at the end of the episode? Holy shit. I mean, I was almost positive it was coming, but it still got to me. 

Bryce Dallas Howard has now directed two of my favorite episodes of the show. She might even have more of an eye for directing than her dad does, which is saying a lot. 

50 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I'm absolutely loving this season... especially yesterday's episode. 

Did anyone else catch the Apollo 13 reference? 

Hide contents

It was freaking awesome to see Katee Sackhoff get to reprise Bo-Katan, especially since that part in TCW was written specifically for her, and the character was based off of her. 

The Ahsoka reference at the end of the episode? Holy shit. I mean, I was almost positive it was coming, but it still got to me. 

Bryce Dallas Howard has now directed two of my favorite episodes of the show. She might even have more of an eye for directing than her dad does, which is saying a lot. 

Spoiler

I think it was Ahsoka who was lurking in the shadows under her hood when Mando and Baby Yoda first landed on the planet. I went back to watch and I really think it was her. I also thought it was cool that Mando found out more about his past. He was raised by a more radical group of Mandalorians. When Bo-Katan said he was raised by religious zealots, it reminded me of Pre Vizsla and Death Watch from the Clone Wars series. I knew Ahsoka was going to be in the show, I just didn't know which episode she was going to show up in.

1 hour ago, misplacedcowboy said:

It's become a family favorite in our house.

I had to laugh at my 5 year old who said "it's so annoying how we have to wait a whole week for a new episode. Why can't it be like normal shows?" :lol:

I admit we've been spoiled with Netflix. Honestly I like that we have to wait, because it gives me something to look forward to each week for the next month and a half. With Netflix you wait for a year for a show then you binge it in a day and then it's over, you're back in a show hole. 

Just finished season 1 and the premier of season 2. Best Star Wars franchise I’ve seen.

Now to nitpick the world building (amidst showers of boos and thrown vegetables). Three things.

In the season 1 finale, armor making Mandalorian lady says the “songs” speak of mandalorions fighting the Jedi “eons” ago.

1.Eons???? If I have the timeline right, the series takes place post Jedi but pre Rey. That’s what, a 20 year time period? 25 at most. Luke Skywalker is definitely still a thing in New Republican lore! Leia is the freaking commanding general backing the shaky Republic. Baby Yoda is old enough to have been born when Qui Gon Jin lived, let alone the fall of the old Republic. It’s ridiculous that the Jedi are almost mythical at this point. They were an instrumental part of the fall of the old Republic and the empire within Timothy Olyphant’s lifetime, he watched the end of Return of the Jedi on the local news!

2. Songs??? Most of the main characters aren’t dirt farmers like Luke or rice patty peasants like the village in season 1. These people have shown themselves to have vast knowledge in intergalactic space travel, incredible talent at operating and mechanically repairing freaking space ships, and more than a little ability at the wizardry of their advanced medicine. So why the hell is STEM training so widely pervasive, yet those same people have to rely on songs in the oral tradition? The liberal arts really, really, really +++++ed up and declined in this universe. Maybe it’s meant to be a warning, I don’t know.

3. It would be better if the Last Jedi never happened. That’s not a critique of the series, just facts.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

16 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Just finished season 1 and the premier of season 2. Best Star Wars franchise I’ve seen.

Now to nitpick the world building (amidst showers of boos and thrown vegetables). Three things.

In the season 1 finale, armor making Mandalorian lady says the “songs” speak of mandalorions fighting the Jedi “eons” ago.

1.Eons???? If I have the timeline right, the series takes place post Jedi but pre Rey. That’s what, a 20 year time period? 25 at most. Luke Skywalker is definitely still a thing in New Republican lore! Leia is the freaking commanding general backing the shaky Republic. Baby Yoda is old enough to have been born when Qui Gon Jin lived, let alone the fall of the old Republic. It’s ridiculous that the Jedi are almost mythical at this point. They were an instrumental part of the fall of the old Republic and the empire within Timothy Olyphant’s lifetime, he watched the end of Return of the Jedi on the local news!

2. Songs??? Most of the main characters aren’t dirt farmers like Luke or rice patty peasants like the village in season 1. These people have shown themselves to have vast knowledge in intergalactic space travel, incredible talent at operating and mechanically repairing freaking space ships, and more than a little ability at the wizardry of their advanced medicine. So why the hell is STEM training so widely pervasive, yet those same people have to rely on songs in the oral tradition? The liberal arts really, really, really +++++ed up and declined in this universe. Maybe it’s meant to be a warning, I don’t know.

3. It would be better if the Last Jedi never happened. That’s not a critique of the series, just facts.

The Darksaber was forged by Tarre Vizsla over 1,000 years ago and was the first Mandalorian to be inducted into the Jedi Order. After he died the Jedi kept the saber instead of giving it back to House Vizsla. From my understanding the Mandalorians at the time took this as dishonorable and stole the saber back from the Jedi Temple. Since then the Mandalorians and Jedi have been at odds. The Mandalorians used the Darksaber as a rallying cry to fight for power over Mandalore between different clans. 

1 hour ago, ridgeview2 said:
  Hide contents

I think it was Ahsoka who was lurking in the shadows under her hood when Mando and Baby Yoda first landed on the planet. I went back to watch and I really think it was her. I also thought it was cool that Mando found out more about his past. He was raised by a more radical group of Mandalorians. When Bo-Katan said he was raised by religious zealots, it reminded me of Pre Vizsla and Death Watch from the Clone Wars series. I knew Ahsoka was going to be in the show, I just didn't know which episode she was going to show up in.

Some interesting things...

Spoiler

The hooded figure was Koska Reeves, one of the Mandalorians with Bo-Katan. 

I would expect Ahsoka to show up at the end of the next episode. The reason for that is that Dave Filoni is directing Episode 5, so I'd imagine that as the creator of the Ahsoka character, he'd also like to be the one to bring her to life in live action. 

The "Children of the Watch" is really a interesting thing. So if we go back a little bit. Din Djarin (Mando) was rescued by members of Death Watch --- you can see their emblem on their armor --- and then raised by them. That was somewhere between 20-19 BBY. Death Watch was a zealot group who wanted to bring back the war culture of the Mandalorians and viewed the peace that Duchess Satine championed for their people as heresy. Bo-Katan was a member of Death Watch at that point, but later abandoned them when they aligned with Maul, with she and her Nite Owls becoming their own entity, and later resulting in her claiming the Darksaber and the title of Manda'lore. 

Death Watch themselves disbanded soon after their rescue of Din Djarin, in 19 BBY when Maul took control of Mandalore. They later became the main group of Imperial Super Commandos, culminating in the establishment of the Imperial school on Mandalore that Sabine Wren initially trained at. 

I'm positing that the "Child(ren) of the Watch" are established of literal children and foundlings, and perhaps some older members who didn't join with the Imperials. They've delved even deeper into Mandalorian history, and have christened themselves a zealot win of the Death Watch, with "The Way" becoming their religion. This is somewhat strengthened by the fact that we had Paz Vizsla (voiced by Jon Favreau, and presumably a child of Pre) show up in S1E3 of The Mandalorian. 

41 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

The Darksaber was forged by Tarre Vizsla over 1,000 years ago and was the first Mandalorian to be inducted into the Jedi Order. After he died the Jedi kept the saber instead of giving it back to House Vizsla. From my understanding the Mandalorians at the time took this as dishonorable and stole the saber back from the Jedi Temple. Since then the Mandalorians and Jedi have been at odds. The Mandalorians used the Darksaber as a rallying cry to fight for power over Mandalore between different clans. 

That’s all well and good. It’s not like my nitpicks affect the central plot of mysterious stranger goes to new place to right wrongs or amoral hero makes good by fatherhood. But come on, people remember stories of a 1000 year old light saber but the still living, possibly not yet self exiled, Luke Skywalker and the Jedi are practically unknown or at best myths?

The prequels get better the more people try to Frankenstein’s monster this universe.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

6 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

That’s all well and good. It’s not like my nitpicks affect the central plot of mysterious stranger goes to new place to right wrongs or amoral hero makes good by fatherhood. But come on, people remember stories of a 1000 year old light saber but the still living, possibly not yet self exiled, Luke Skywalker and the Jedi are practically unknown or at best myths?

The prequels get better the more people try to Frankenstein’s monster this universe.

The people who remember the story of the Darksaber are Mandalorians themselves, most of whom are scattered across the universe at the point of the story in The Mandalorian. The story of Luke Skywalker is likely remembered as part of the fall of the Empire, but the remnants of the Empire still exist, and the galaxy is vast. Din Djarin (the Mandalorian in this story) was raised in a closed community, so it's not surprising that he wouldn't know who Jedi are, especially given the Mandalorian history with Jedi. Past all of that, the Empire spent 20 years trying to expunge any mention of the Jedi, so it wouldn't be surprising for them to be part of myth or forgotten within a generation... especially when you consider how vast the galaxy is, and the fact that a lot of the stories we witness take place in the far reaches of the galaxy. 

6 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I can understand that and honestly I agree with you. You would think that with Return of the Jedi happening only 5 years before The Mandalorian series, you would think that Djarin would have heard something about the Jedi. At the same time this seems like a call back from when Han Solo heard about the Jedi in A New Hope and believed they were a myth and the force was "mumbo jumbo" even though he was alive during the time of the Clone Wars. 

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

The people who remember the story of the Darksaber are Mandalorians themselves, most of whom are scattered across the universe at the point of the story in The Mandalorian. The story of Luke Skywalker is likely remembered as part of the fall of the Empire, but the remnants of the Empire still exist, and the galaxy is vast. Din Djarin (the Mandalorian in this story) was raised in a closed community, so it's not surprising that he wouldn't know who Jedi are, especially given the Mandalorian history with Jedi. Past all of that, the Empire spent 20 years trying to expunge any mention of the Jedi, so it wouldn't be surprising for them to be part of myth or forgotten within a generation... especially when you consider how vast the galaxy is, and the fact that a lot of the stories we witness take place in the far reaches of the galaxy. 

13 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

That makes sense. We were both replying to the same post at the time. I'll have to go back and watch the first few episodes of the Mandalorian, I never noticed that it was Death Watch who saved him. I thought it was just another random clan of Mandalorians.  

2 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

That makes sense. We were both replying to the same post at the time. I'll have to go back and watch the first few episodes of the Mandalorian, I never noticed that it was Death Watch who saved him. I thought it was just another random clan of Mandalorians.  

TuffNCO.png

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I can see how Mando might not be aware of the Jedi, but there’s no way Gina Carano didn’t know who Luke Skywalker was. The guy blew up the first Death Star and defeated Vader and the Emperor! She fought on his side. That’d be like someone in the 101st airborne not knowing who Eisenhower or Patton was. If orphans at the outer reaches of the galaxy like Rey, or indoctrinated first order Hitler youth’s like Finn, are aware of Luke, Leia, the force, and the Jedi; it’s preposterous that none of the hardened war veterans in the first season had no inclinations about baby yoda’s abilities or the Jedi in general.

Did the Mandalorians fight on the side of the empire?

3 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I can see how Mando might not be aware of the Jedi, but there’s no way Gina Carano didn’t know who Luke Skywalker was. The guy blew up the first Death Star and defeated Vader and the Emperor! She fought on his side. That’d be like someone in the 101st airborne not knowing who Eisenhower or Patton was. If orphans at the outer reaches of the galaxy like Rey, or indoctrinated first order Hitler youth’s like Finn, are aware of Luke, Leia, the force, and the Jedi; it’s preposterous that none of the hardened war veterans in the first season had no inclinations about baby yoda’s abilities or the Jedi in general.

Did Cara Dune she say that she didn't know who Luke Skywalker was? Or that she didn't know who the Jedi were or what the Force was? I can't recall. Because it likely wasn't very well known among the rank and file that Luke was using the Force was a Jedi. 

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Punch yourself in the balls.

5 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Punch yourself in the balls.

No! After Thrones biffed the last two seasons and JK Rowling got canceled for wrongthink, Star Wars is the last semblance of a monoculture we have. This stuff is important, damn it!

9 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The Mandalorians were hunted down and killed by the Empire during the Great Purge. The Empire took over Mandalore and stripped it of it's resources and took all of the baskar that was used to make their armor. This forced the surviving Mandalorians to scatter to the outer rim and into hiding. 

11 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Did Cara Dune she say that she didn't know who Luke Skywalker was? Or that she didn't know who the Jedi were or what the Force was? I can't recall. Because it likely wasn't very well known among the rank and file that Luke was using the Force was a Jedi. 

She didn’t say anything in the season finale when armorer lady was delivering her world building soliloquy about the old conflicts between the Jedi and the Mandalorians. I guess as a pragmatic soldier she was more worried about 100 stormtroopers imminently killing them in the sewers. But she definitely add anything to the conversation saying “hey people tell stories about these Skywalker people in charge of the new republic.” That was a long boring boat ride down the lava river, she might have said something then.