Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fort Fun

New era of USMNT soccer kicks off today

I love the young talent we have showing around the world, but does anyone have faith that the idiots in charge of U.S. soccer aren't going to +++++ this up and puke all over themselves like they always do.

If you think Stan Kroenke has his head way up his ass, you haven't seen how far U.S. soccer has their heads buried up their asses.

El Salvador stunk.  And their tactics were odd.   But the US lost to teams that bad just a couple years ago with aging vets mostly and this was a team of potential backups for the US.  Not one starter for the US top 11 in that lineup IMO.   The US now has a talent pool but it's mostly U-23 so some aging and development is still required.   The US A team could have put 20 on that El Salvador side.

Just now, roughrider said:

El Salvador stunk but supposedly that was 6 of their starters from the last go round.  And their tactics were odd.   But the US lost to teams that bad just a couple years ago with aging vets mostly and this was a team of potential backups for the US.  Not one starter for the US top 11 in that lineup IMO.   The US now has a talent pool but it's mostly U-23 so some aging and development is still required.   The US A team could have put 20 on that El Salvador side.

1 hour ago, dshawfan said:

Did El Salvador bring their B/C squad as well? 

Don't know for sure. 8 of their 11 starters were on their Gold Cup team, so this wasn't a complete B or C team. Though I'm not sure how many of those 8 were Gold Cup starters as opposed to bench players

23 minutes ago, sebasour said:

Don't know for sure. 8 of their 11 starters were on their Gold Cup team, so this wasn't a complete B or C team. Though I'm not sure how many of those 8 were Gold Cup starters as opposed to bench players

Is the Gold Cup the next step on the pathway? If so, what should we expect in terms of a finish there? Are we ready to compete w/ our neighbors to the South? 

15 minutes ago, dshawfan said:

Is the Gold Cup the next step on the pathway? If so, what should we expect in terms of a finish there? Are we ready to compete w/ our neighbors to the South? 

Yeah The 2021 schedule is looking like friendlies in March, Nations League in June, and Gold Cup in July before World Cup Qualifying starts in September.

You're not going to be able to send players to both The Gold Cup and Nations League, so there's still a very open question about which event is going to get our A team and B team. I'm curious to see what Berhalter decides.

We'll like play Mexico in both tournaments and we'll have a shot. It's hard to look at the club pedigree of The USMNT and Mexico and argue that The US doesn't have more raw talent, however our best players are young while most of Mexico's best players are in their primes.

1 hour ago, sebasour said:

Yeah The 2021 schedule is looking like friendlies in March, Nations League in June, and Gold Cup in July before World Cup Qualifying starts in September.

You're not going to be able to send players to both The Gold Cup and Nations League, so there's still a very open question about which event is going to get our A team and B team. I'm curious to see what Berhalter decides.

We'll like play Mexico in both tournaments and we'll have a shot. It's hard to look at the club pedigree of The USMNT and Mexico and argue that The US doesn't have more raw talent, however our best players are young while most of Mexico's best players are in their primes.

Dont forget the Olympics.  A LOT of the team is still eligible, although 2 things stand in the way - a)gotta qualify first and b) The Euro clubs dont have to release players for the Games or the qualifying matches.  The 2021 schedule is going to be plenty crowded.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Another question for you futbol aficionados, what is the comparison between Pulisic and Donovan? Is there one? Is it too early to say? Did Donovan play in Europe? Did he play for a top level club like Chelsea? Was he in Europe at a young age? Just a relative newbie to futbol, trying to put the pieces together.

31 minutes ago, dshawfan said:

It’s getting ugly fast; too bad Serbia couldn’t have made it. 

I think Serbia's C team just drew The Dominican Republic. I'm not sure they would have been a much stiffer test