Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fort Fun

New era of USMNT soccer kicks off today

On 11/12/2020 at 1:34 PM, sebasour said:

Whelp, the Lletget as the false 9 experiment bit us. Luckily I don't think we'll be seeing it again.

Really strong first half, slightly meh second half. Still really excited about this team 

What is a 9? What is a false 9?

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

The US sucks at soccer because WE DON'T CARE!

Kinda like UNLV football :ph34r:? Each entity has enjoyed their moments, but does not garner much interest beyond its niche crowd??

1 hour ago, dshawfan said:

What is a 9? What is a false 9?

A 9 is a striker. Playing with a false 9 means you basically play without a striker, and throw an extra midfielder into that striker role.

We have a shit load of talent in the midfield, but are really lacking in the forward department. So it wasn't the worst idea in the world to try it.

The experiment failed though, we got shutout trying it (despite dominating possession) and today we went back to having a normal striker up top. We scored 6 goals

I watched a few minutes of the Wales match. It left me wondering what happened to our old man team. Instead we have a bunch of talented young guys that play with a lot more energy and enthusiasm. Give these kids a few more years and they’ll be kicking Euro ass.

10 hours ago, sebasour said:

A 9 is a striker. Playing with a false 9 means you basically play without a striker, and throw an extra midfielder into that striker role.

We have a shit load of talent in the midfield, but are really lacking in the forward department. So it wasn't the worst idea in the world to try it.

The experiment failed though, we got shutout trying it (despite dominating possession) and today we went back to having a normal striker up top. We scored 6 goals

How much of that is a function of playing Wales versus playing Panama? I’m assuming that Wales is a much tougher opponent.

I caught the Panama match. I was impressed w how fast and athletic we looked.

Is this a true changing of the guard for the USMNT? Or will we see the same faces again as the next WC approaches? 

35 minutes ago, dshawfan said:

How much of that is a function of playing Wales versus playing Panama? I’m assuming that Wales is a much tougher opponent.

I caught the Panama match. I was impressed w how fast and athletic we looked.

Is this a true changing of the guard for the USMNT? Or will we see the same faces again as the next WC approaches? 

I think it was just a function of a weird situation. The top 3 forwards in our pool weren't available, so it was probably just a one off experiment. I don't think it'll happen again.

Very much so, this team is completely different from the one who failed to qualify in 2017. 5 years ago I was doing cartwheels when an aging Fabian Johnson was playing for a Champions League club. Right now we have 10 players on Champions League clubs, most of which aren't old enough to drink in this country yet.

And even in non Champions League situations you have guys like Sargent in The Bundesliga, Robinson in The Premier League, and Musah in La Liga (though he may end up playing for England)

1 hour ago, sebasour said:

I think it was just a function of a weird situation. The top 3 forwards in our pool weren't available, so it was probably just a one off experiment. I don't think it'll happen again.

Very much so, this team is completely different from the one who failed to qualify in 2017. 5 years ago I was doing cartwheels when an aging Fabian Johnson was playing for a Champions League club. Right now we have 10 players on Champions League clubs, most of which aren't old enough to drink in this country yet.

And even in non Champions League situations you have guys like Sargent in The Bundesliga, Robinson in The Premier League, and Musah in La Liga (though he may end up playing for England)

Okay, next question. Didn't Klinsmann get himself into hot water for suggesting our players should be playing in Europe? And aren't our most talented players doing that? So was Klinsmann right?

Typical American gray hair here, grew up playing football, baseball and basketball. Just a fairly new fan to futbol, (I'll take in a Premier League game on the weekends, and I'll watch a Champions League match if I recognize the teams playing,) trying to figure things out as I go.

1 hour ago, dshawfan said:

Okay, next question. Didn't Klinsmann get himself into hot water for suggesting our players should be playing in Europe? And aren't our most talented players doing that? So was Klinsmann right?

Typical American gray hair here, grew up playing football, baseball and basketball. Just a fairly new fan to futbol, (I'll take in a Premier League game on the weekends, and I'll watch a Champions League match if I recognize the teams playing,) trying to figure things out as I go.

Yeah, that whole controversy was dumb. Jurgen had no problem playing MLS players and there will always be a place for them on the team. That said if you're a promising young player and Europe comes calling, you should absolutely take that chance.

Now there's plenty of players who go to Europe, and fail. In those instances you need to know when to cut your losses. Sebastian Lletget is an example of that. He spent a long time at West Ham United, never broke through, and spent a lot of years rotting in their reserve teams where he was nowhere near the national team picture.

He then returned home to MLS and carved out a nice career where he's now a USMNT player.

It's like being a 5* football player in high school. You should probably go to places like Ohio State or Alabama if you have the chance to. That said if a couple years in you realize that you're not gonna see the field, and want a chance to impress some NFL scouts, you may need to transfer to a lower level P5 or G5 school 

14 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

If these kids are 4 and 5 star prospects, would it be fair to classify Pulisic a couple of years ago a bonafide lottery pick?

Not just Pulisic.  Gio Reyna just turned 18 and playing for big money in Germany.  Sergino Dest is playing alongside Messi at Barcelona and looks really good.  McKennie is playing alongside Ronaldo in Italy.   Serious young talent showing up with US links latelty.

Bobby Wood is out of the picture now.  Faded fast.  Greene is playing well in a second division in Europe but he's been lapped by the new young kids.  

Klinnsmann is crucified by most Landon Donovan fans.  Donovan was arguably the best US soccer play of all time in his day (not any more) but was in his 30s and had become a drama queen needing months off for his personal needs.  Klinsmann wanted commitment and didn't get it so he dumped him for Green.   Who did nothing.   All Klinsmann said in regard to USMNT players is that they should strive to play in Europe and challenge themselves and get better.  He said this because 1. it's true and because 2. he was stuck with a bunch of complacent MLS players who either weren't good enough to play in Europe or were happy with the paychecks they were getting from the MLS and they could stay at home in the US.  He wanted hungry athletes.  He was a poor tactical coach too so he wanted players coached by Euro coaches and not MLS coaches.

28 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Not just Pulisic.  Gio Reyna just turned 18 and playing for big money in Germany.  Sergino Dest is playing alongside Messi at Barcelona and looks really good.  McKennie is playing alongside Ronaldo in Italy.   Serious young talent showing up with US links latelty.

Bobby Wood is out of the picture now.  Faded fast.  Greene is playing well in a second division in Europe but he's been lapped by the new young kids.  

Klinnsmann is crucified by most Landon Donovan fans.  Donovan was arguably the best US soccer play of all time in his day (not any more) but was in his 30s and had become a drama queen needing months off for his personal needs.  Klinsmann wanted commitment and didn't get it so he dumped him for Green.   Who did nothing.   All Klinsmann said in regard to USMNT players is that they should strive to play in Europe and challenge themselves and get better.  He said this because 1. it's true and because 2. he was stuck with a bunch of complacent MLS players who either weren't good enough to play in Europe or were happy with the paychecks they were getting from the MLS and they could stay at home in the US.  He wanted hungry athletes.  He was a poor tactical coach too so he wanted players coached by Euro coaches and not MLS coaches.

I never liked the Donavan decision. He was a prima Donna, yes. But the guy wasn’t afraid of the big stage and he delivered for the national team over and over.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

World Cup qualifying schedule released. They'll be squeezing three games into international windows instead of two. I hope this leads to expanded rosters and more subs. That'll keep players healthy and be advantageous to the big teams over the minnows. Win, win.

We'll most likely open up on the road against Trinidad or El Salvador.  It would be funny to open up this qualifying campaign at T&T, US wins in a rout if that happens. Next we host Canada (but I wouldn't put it past them to +++++ up and not qualify) who has some nice young players. Then we go to Hondo, an underrated house of horrors for US soccer. 

Host Mexico in November, I'm sure they'll play that one in Anchorage.

January sees us hosting Honduras and El Salvador/T&T, and away to Canada (probably). We better have shit wrapped up after that because the final March window includes trips to Costa Rica and Azteca with a gimme over Panama in between. 

2 hours ago, Fort Fun said:

World Cup qualifying schedule released. They'll be squeezing three games into international windows instead of two. I hope this leads to expanded rosters and more subs. That'll keep players healthy and be advantageous to the big teams over the minnows. Win, win.

We'll most likely open up on the road against Trinidad or El Salvador.  It would be funny to open up this qualifying campaign at T&T, US wins in a rout if that happens. Next we host Canada (but I wouldn't put it past them to +++++ up and not qualify) who has some nice young players. Then we go to Hondo, an underrated house of horrors for US soccer. 

January sees us hosting Honduras and El Salvador/T&T, and away to Canada (probably). We better have shit wrapped up after that because the final March window includes trips to Costa Rica and Azteca with a gimme over Panama in between. 

I think the roster size and subs is FIFAs call, so I doubt it.  The 3 games will probably be in 10 days, similar to a WC group schedule.

Mexico game will always be in Columbus.  Or should be.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, Fort Fun said:

Are qualifiers usually held 3 months before the World Cup? 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

6 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Are qualifiers usually held 3 months before the World Cup? 

2022 World Cup starts in November.  Which is unusual, but since Qatar won bribed their way the right to host, they moved it due to the heat.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Really looking forward to...2026.