Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Mountain West Basketball - Preseason Media Awards

Here’s how I see it right now (with my projected KenPom rankings in parentheses)

San Diego State - best balance on both ends of floor (KP Top 50)

Utah State - great front court with Queta and Bean. Who’s gonna make an outside shot? (KP 50-75)

Colorado State - loaded with experienced young talent; return most minutes and production from last year (KP 75-100)

Boise State - only one basketball allowed for 5 players with Alston looking to improve draft stock; not enough shooters (KP 75-100)

UNLV - only one basketball for Hamilton and Jenkins.  And they lost a lot from last season. (KP 75-100)

Nevada - lost a ton but better not sleep on them (KP 100-150)

Wyoming - Maldonado and Marble and a solid new coach (KP 125-175)

New Mexico - Given the COVID issues in NM, Paul Weir’s inability to create team chemistry is a huge problem. (KP 150-200)

Fresno State - Struggled last year and lost a ton. Big O is a stud. (KP 150-200)

San Jose State - Seneca Knight is a player. But they’re a football school. (KP 200+)

Air Force - not this year (KP 200+)

POY: Matt Mitchell,SDSU (he’ll absolutely kill it if Mensah stays healthy)

NOY: David Jenkins, UNLV (never met a shot he didnt like; makes them too)

FOY: Whatever freshman gets 30 minutes a game. I’m gonna guess the Jackson kid from UNM.

Although Queta is back for USU, along with their big freshman they're bringing in, I think the Aggies are going to struggle without Merrill.

Sidenote: I think it was Porter that transferred to Ohio State? Anyway, he's out for the season, if not for good, due to a medical condition.. tough break.

3 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Although Queta is back for USU, along with their big freshman they're bringing in, I think the Aggies are going to struggle without Merrill.

Sidenote: I think it was Porter that transferred to Ohio State? Anyway, he's out for the season, if not for good, due to a medical condition.. tough break.

His career is over.  He has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

It would be unwise to underestimate USU in the Craig Smith era. We are used to it by now I guess. A healthy Queta and Justin Bean all year long will create problems. I don't see anyone outside of Mensah being able to guard Queta. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

It would be unwise to underestimate USU in the Craig Smith era. We are used to it by now I guess. A healthy Queta and Justin Bean all year long will create problems. I don't see anyone outside of Mensah being able to guard Queta. 

This isn’t 2000.  Frontcourt play doesn’t win games like backcourt play does.  And without good backcourt play, neither of them are getting the ball.

12 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

This isn’t 2000.  Frontcourt play doesn’t win games like backcourt play does.  And without good backcourt play, neither of them are getting the ball.

There are enough ball handlers to get them the ball. I am not worried about USU. This is another tourney team. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Until a team can prove otherwise SDSU should be the pick to win the conference.  Although I don't think they go with only one loss like last year.  1-5 they picked the correct teams I think it will be a good fight between those teams and for all five will come down to the last week of conference play before we know what order they finish.

Ad for poy I am guessing it will be from the team that wins the conference.  All five of those teams have a player that can argue their case for it.

Going to be a fun year, I am excited the MWC is finally turning the corner and becoming a very good conference again.  A pretty big gap between number 5 and number 6.  I expect UNR to get better over the next couple years and hope UNM will.  Wyoming has good potential I think the finish better than 9th.  But we will see but anyway you look at it the MWC is becoming respectable again.

13 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

New Mexico may have to play 20 road games. 

With only 17k population in Torrance County, and the population of Moriarty, NM only being a little over 1800, and being only 40 miles east of Albuquerque, no reason for UNM to not play their games there. 
Fly in the day of the game, bus to Moriarty to play, then bus back to the airport... easy peazy!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

18 minutes ago, robe said:

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2020/10/29/21541137/byu-basketball-schedule-update-legends-classic-utah-game-legends-classic-season-start-day

BYU is planning on playing SDSU, USU and BSU non conference. No surprised BYU is joined at the hip with those 3. 

I really hope Boise can find a way to keep BYU on the schedule. Boise had a great schedule going into the season, but it keeps losing some of it's marquee games. Adding Houston was a good step. Getting BYU back would be another 

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I really hope Boise can find a way to keep BYU on the schedule. Boise had a great schedule going into the season, but it keeps losing some of it's marquee games. Adding Houston was a good step. Getting BYU back would be another 

Those 3 games really help BYU too.

The Masters 5k road race All American.