Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

Lobos?

Will you be able to practice/play BBall? We will welcome you to Vegas for basketball, as well as football. I hope you can work it out to be at home, though.

This thread by Geoff is pertaining to NMSU, but I'm assuming it also applies to UNM.

23 minutes ago, Lobonado said:

UNM and NMSU are the only two schools in D1 that are not allowed to practice. Because of our power drunk governor. 

Yikes. I didn’t realize the basketball teams weren’t practicing. Why is that as the football team is practicing and playing? 
Are the basketball teams not going to be allowed to  play? It’s not like 15 guys are going to contaminate the state of New Mexico.

7 minutes ago, Lobonado said:

UNM and NMSU are the only two schools in D1 that are not allowed to practice. Because of our power drunk governor. 

Stop it! She's trying to save lives! NM is now over 1400 NEW COVID cases a day, and covid related deaths are growing! Hospitals are nearing capacity and some are over capacity! The virus is out of control here becasue no one wnats to wear masks or to stop throwing parties! I don't like that sports is shut down in our state... but she's NOT doing this for some kind of power grab like you're insinuating. We value sports over all else... she doesn't see it the same way we do. College football games are being cancelled everywhere! It'll happen to us again if we don't follow the protocols! Stop with the incendiary rhetoric! 

Having said that @4UNLV, the UNM mens and womens basketball teams are practicing at a high school gym in Moriarty, NM, Depending on how the virus spreads into the smaller less populated counties, there's a good chance the teams may have to relocate again. And lil sis to the south is in trouble too, due to the influx of people that travel between LC and El Paso. UTEP just moved their football game this weekend, to a high school stadium in Midland, TX, because of exploding covid cases in EP. There will be no fans in the stands there for that game. 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

Yikes. I didn’t realize the basketball teams weren’t practicing. Why is that as the football team is practicing and playing? 
Are the basketball teams not going to be allowed to  play? It’s not like 15 guys are going to contaminate the state of New Mexico.

The UNM football team is in Las Vegas for the remainder of whats left of the season. Covid is high as well in Nevada, but the Nevada Governor isn't "punch drunk for power" like @Lobonado says ours is. One's a repub, the other is a dem, so different philosophies on how to manage covid spread. And its not about the 15 guys, it's about 1400+ a day in cases here.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

12 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

The UNM football team is in Las Vegas for the remainder of whats left of the season. Covid is high as well in Nevada, but the Nevada Governor isn't "punch drunk for power" like @Lobonado says ours is. One's a repub, the other is a dem, so different philosophies on how to manage covid spread. And its not about the 15 guys, it's about 1400+ a day in cases here.

Why not move the basketball team to Vegas? They have several good basketball facilities. Lobo fans are pretty big on basketball. Why aren’t they raising hell with the governor? 

As an aside we’re facing the same thing in Idaho, 1400 cases a day, and all the colleges are practicing basketball. Private and public gyms are still open as they have shown they aren’t spreading the virus. 

I think, regardless of one’s stance on Covid, the notion that the NM United soccer club was able to practice and play (all away) games yet d1 college athletes in (only) New Mexico cannot rubs people the wrong way. NM United’s owner was/is part of Gov Lujan-Grisham’s Economic Recovery team for the state...regardless of whether NM United actually received special treatment, the optics dont look good.  

I agree, the number of daily Covid cases in NM and the country is alarming, but it seems like there has to be some common ground that they could agree on. Already, athletes are tested three times a week at UNM, but maybe there is more that can be can do to assure safety of all is paramount? 

If every other state has college athletes practicing/competing, can’t Gov Grisham look at what they are doing and implement best-practices, which could create a compromise that all stakeholders can agree to? 

I understand the original agreement between UNM athletics and the state mentioned athletes would only practice/compete if Bernalillo County’s numbers were below a certain threshold.  At that time, Bernalillo County’s daily covid cases were well below the agreed upon number. They are no longer below this threshold, but that is hardly UNM’s fault as evidenced by UNM athletics’ high percentage of negative covid test results. 

Again, I’m not sure what the answer is, but seeing other states doing what New Mexicans are told we cannot do has people on edge, confused and frustrated...

4 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Lujan-Grisham's a Republican? Had no idea...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

Hopefully our governor gets promoted to the Federal government. As much as college athletics seems superficial in the grand spectrum of things, I don't think you can underestimate the mental health benefits in these times. There is so much more anxiety and depression these days, especially if you are a Cowboys fan, that the benefits outweigh the minimal risk of college athletics without crowds where testing is so much more prevalent than in the general public.

8 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Stop it! She's trying to save lives! NM is now over 1400 NEW COVID cases a day, and covid related deaths are growing! Hospitals are nearing capacity and some are over capacity! The virus is out of control here becasue no one wnats to wear masks or to stop throwing parties! I don't like that sports is shut down in our state... but she's NOT doing this for some kind of power grab like you're insinuating. We value sports over all else... she doesn't see it the same way we do. College football games are being cancelled everywhere! It'll happen to us again if we don't follow the protocols! Stop with the incendiary rhetoric! 

Having said that @4UNLV, the UNM mens and womens basketball teams are practicing at a high school gym in Moriarty, NM, Depending on how the virus spreads into the smaller less populated counties, there's a good chance the teams may have to relocate again. And lil sis to the south is in trouble too, due to the influx of people that travel between LC and El Paso. UTEP just moved their football game this weekend, to a high school stadium in Midland, TX, because of exploding covid cases in EP. There will be no fans in the stands there for that game. 

So which is it, either you are related to NM’s Governor or she has some incriminating evidence against you?

9 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Why not move the basketball team to Vegas? They have several good basketball facilities. Lobo fans are pretty big on basketball. Why aren’t they raising hell with the governor? 

As an aside we’re facing the same thing in Idaho, 1400 cases a day, and all the colleges are practicing basketball. Private and public gyms are still open as they have shown they aren’t spreading the virus. 

UNM has been keeping its athletes in a bubble, with zero covid cases, and any pos cases are quickly isolated and contact tracing kicks in big time! UNM is serious about not having pos tests. The kids and coaches are doing their part to not expose themselves to anyone outside the sports bubble. The problem is the governor’s rolling “14 day average” for positive cases per 100k.

The only reason UNM isn’t allowed to practice, let alone play, is because UNM is located in a county (Bernalillo),that has pos rates higher than the threshold the state health department has set.

The basketball teams have moved to Moriarty, NM, which is in Torrance County. But if the rate goes up in That county, they'll be forced to move again.

And I would suspect that fans aren’t raising a stink about basketball yet, is because it hasn’t started yet. As soon as fans start hearing that they're not allowed to play in the Pit, or are playing games out of state because of the governors mandates, then they’ll get loud about it.

1 hour ago, OrediggerPoke said:

So which is it, either you are related to NM’s Governor or she has some incriminating evidence against you?

Although I have met the governor, I am neither related to, or employed, by her. But to suggest that she is deliberately shutting down the state because she craves or wants power? Because she likes the death threats to herself and her family... really... in a state where the head of the sheriff’s posse, said the only good democratic is a dead one... really? 

She’s a big UNM basketball fan, she’s regularly seen at UNM basketball games. I do believe she is trying to save lives. If people don’t believe that, its their’s and your prerogative, but yeah... imo, she’s not doing it for power, I believe she’s actually trying to protect people.

Edit: i failed to mention that I met the governor, before she became governor.

1 hour ago, LoboMan59 said:

Although I have met the governor, I am neither related to, or employed, by her. But to suggest that she is deliberately shutting down the state because she craves or wants power? Because she likes the death threats to herself and her family... really... in a state where the head of the sheriff’s posse, said the only good democratic is a dead one... really? 

She’s a big UNM basketball fan, she’s regularly seen at UNM basketball games. I do believe she is trying to save lives. If people don’t believe that, its their’s and your prerogative, but yeah... imo, she’s not doing it for power, I believe she’s actually trying to protect people.

If athletes are being tested several times a week and very few or none are coming up positive, what’s the harm in letting them practice and play like other states? The testing protocols and cancellation of games for athletes when positive cases occur far exceed what is required of the general public. 

1 hour ago, LoboMan59 said:

While I’m definitely willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt, I think what bothers people is the zealousness at which restrictions are put in place. A lot of non-sensical seeming things that fly in the face of a safe and somewhat still effective economic model. 

15 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

How exactly is she saving lives by not letting UNM or NMSU play? How many college athletes are dying of Covid?

Both universities can keep their athletes in a bubble environment. Fans aren't allowed at games anyways. If there were several governors doing stuff like this then I would somewhat understand where she's coming from, but she's the only one! Loves the power. Loves the control. She better be careful because college b-ball runs the show in NM and she'll be remembered for this. There's no logic or reason.

UNM Basketball is the face of the university. I trust our AD, Eddie Nunez, will get it done at the end, but MLG is not making it easy at all. There would be huge repercussions that could last years if UNM doesn't play this season (players leaving, falling behind, recruiting, marketing). And the Governor has control. La Dictadora.