Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

2020-21 MWC Basketball Format

An interview with Coach Alford about the MWC schedule this year:

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/steve-alford-commends-mw-for-schedule-tweak-poo-poos-altitude-issue

He gives Brian Dutcher some shit for whining about the altitude.

"A pandemic hasn't caused Dutch to talk about altitude," Alford said with a laugh. "He's been talking about altitude since he's been at San Diego State. Their record at San Diego State is not too bad."

When asked about a team like San Diego State, which won the MW last year with a 17-1 league mark, potentially drawing 10 high-altitude road games, Alford laughed.

"So there's a chance if I called (MW commissioner) Craig (Thompson) they could play all 10 of their road games at altitude?" Alford said. "Ooh, I might have to make that call when I'm done here. That might sound like a good idea. No. I'm joking.

I like Alford's sense of humor.

7 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

When asked about a team like San Diego State, which won the MW last year with a 17-1 league mark, potentially drawing 10 high-altitude road games, Alford laughed.

"So there's a chance if I called (MW commissioner) Craig (Thompson) they could play all 10 of their road games at altitude?" Alford said. "Ooh, I might have to make that call when I'm done here. That might sound like a good idea. No. I'm joking.

I like Alford's sense of humor.

Lol. Subtle jabs.

On 11/9/2020 at 5:57 PM, soupslam1 said:

I assume this means teams will be playing the same team back to back at the same venue cutting travel in half. Depending on who travels to who, it could put some teams at a decided disadvantage. For instance, what if Boise State has to travel to SDSU, UNLV, USU, CSU, and UNR. Yes they get primarily the bottom feeders at home, but winning one on the road against the tougher teams will be difficult. 

It seems the fairest way to do it would be to seed all teams 1-11 and each team playing the odd or even seeded teams on the road and vice versa at home. 

We will just kick their butts and be 10-0 on those road trips!