Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

2020-21 MWC Basketball Format

So it's been decided, a 20 game league schedule played in ten 2 game series. :shrug:

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/mountain-west-makes-significant-unprecedented-tweak-to-conference-season

The conference will increase the schedule from 18 games to 20 under a modified system that will play out over 11 weeks within the context of state, county and local guidelines.

In the new format, MW teams will face each other in a two-game series in the same week with a one-day break between contests. Each institution will have five home and five road series, reducing the regular-season travel schedule by four weeks to help mitigate potential virus exposures.

I assume this means teams will be playing the same team back to back at the same venue cutting travel in half. Depending on who travels to who, it could put some teams at a decided disadvantage. For instance, what if Boise State has to travel to SDSU, UNLV, USU, CSU, and UNR. Yes they get primarily the bottom feeders at home, but winning one on the road against the tougher teams will be difficult. 

It seems the fairest way to do it would be to seed all teams 1-11 and each team playing the odd or even seeded teams on the road and vice versa at home. 

27 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I assume this means teams will be playing the same team back to back at the same venue cutting travel in half. Depending on who travels to who, it could put some teams at a decided disadvantage. For instance, what if Boise State has to travel to SDSU, UNLV, USU, CSU, and UNR. Yes they get primarily the bottom feeders at home, but winning one on the road against the tougher teams will be difficult. 

It seems the fairest way to do it would be to seed all teams 1-11 and each team playing the odd or even seeded teams on the road and vice versa at home. 

Yeah, probably a situation where everyone will complain about something. Playing 2 games in 3 days on the same court and assuming no or very few fans, might negate some of the home court advantage. 

2 hours ago, Jalex4141 said:

Wow not sure how they decide who you have home and who away. Big asterisk on regular season conference champ this year. 

Yea huge disadvantage for school with good fan bases. 

But I do expect schools like SJSU and Fresno to outperform. They are already use to have no fans in the stands lol. And trust me that IS a skill. I swear there were some years when Fresno was actually good but they would go play a terrible SJSU and it would be way closer than it should have been (even a year or two were they lost). You have to create all your own excitement/energy without fans (even if the fans are booing you or cheering for the other team it still has a motivating effect). And I think this will player a bigger role in basketball than it does in football. 

30 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Yea huge disadvantage for school with good fan bases. 

But I do expect schools like SJSU and Fresno to outperform. They are already use to have no fans in the stands lol. And trust me that IS a skill. I swear there were some years when Fresno was actually good but they would go play a terrible SJSU and it would be way closer than it should have been (even a year or two were they lost). You have to create all your own excitement/energy without fans (even if the fans are booing you or cheering for the other team it still has a motivating effect). And I think this will player a bigger role in basketball than it does in football. 

Very good point. 

8 hours ago, Broncos4Ever said:

Guarantee Boise will be forced to play the five best teams on the road.  Thompson’s payback for the lawsuit, plus he hates Boise.

We’re hoping to get Boise in Fort Collins so that we can unleash our top-notch clock management team for a pair of games. And then get to watch Leon’s head explode.

They could’ve traveled in pairs like they used to and made things work.  Play at Colorado State and Wyoming.  Play at Utah State and New Mexico.  Play at UNLV and San Diego State.  Play at Fresno State and San Jose State.  Play at UNR and Boise State.  Forget Air Force.

UNM and the AFA were travel partners. And trust me, two games in a row in Clune Arena, isn’t any fun for UNM!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

2 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Three days in Laramie is like a prison sentence.  How many teams playing in Laramie will choose to stay in Fort Collins and then bus to the Gem CIty on game days? 

Probably zero. They can actually go places in Laramie and wouldn't have to practice in the big Stinky. Walk from the Hilton to the AA or MPG.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

16 hours ago, renoskier said:

Yeah, probably a situation where everyone will complain about something. Playing 2 games in 3 days on the same court and assuming no or very few fans, might negate some of the home court advantage. 

You know every teams fans will be bitching they got screwed. That’s a given. 

12 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I do think the sea level schools have a legit beef if they aren't sent into the mountains...

But by the same token they will have more time to adjust to the elevation (at least by the second game) then they traditionally would. So that will offset the elevation advantage a bit. 

7 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

But by the same token they will have more time to adjust to the elevation (at least by the second game) then they traditionally would. So that will offset the elevation advantage a bit. 

I believe it takes at least a week or two to adjust to higher elevation. The second game in Laramie could be a real bitch. 

52 minutes ago, Jalex4141 said:

Notice sent to season ticket holders. Boise state not allowing fans for upcoming basketball season. 

No surprise here.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. 
         ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.