BSUTOP25

UPDATED: Very, very good news re vaccine

53 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

And I’m sure the usual suspects will predictably find fault, well, because Trump...

Which part of the fact that Trump has nothing to do with the development of a vaccine are you having trouble comprehending? 

• Haha 1
58 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

And I’m sure the usual suspects will predictably find fault, well, because Trump...

I hate Trump, but I give him credit where it’s due. He hasn’t been due much credit outside of some foreign policy decisions, but he will deserve credit for any vaccines approved that are a direct result of OWS, and there will likely be a few of those before he leaves office.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
32 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I hate Trump, but I give him credit where it’s due. He hasn’t been due much credit outside of some foreign policy decisions, but he will deserve credit for any vaccines approved that are a direct result of OWS, and there will likely be a few of those before he leaves office.

I’ll split the difference.  The pandemic required a massive effort to develop a vaccine. As I said, OWS was good policy. I think a fair criticism is that it should have been drawn up and implemented a bit sooner.  An administration responding to a natural disaster, pandemic, or other mass situation is what is expected.  Funding biotechs for vaccine development was a pretty logical move.

So, good for the administration for doing what it did and what it should have. However, without the often lengthy varying scientific research backgrounds for differing vaccine types all the government and private foundation monies (Gates Foundation for example was far ahead) would be for naught. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

And I'm sure the usual suspects will predictably give him way too much credit.

15 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

I’ll split the difference.  The pandemic required a massive effort to develop a vaccine. As I said, OWS was good policy. I think a fair criticism is that it should have been drawn up and implemented a bit sooner.  An administration responding to a natural disaster, pandemic, or other mass situation is what is expected.  Funding biotechs for vaccine development was a pretty logical move.

So, good for the administration for doing what it did and what it should have. However, without the varying scientific research backgrounds for differing vaccine types all the government and private foundation monies (Gates Foundation for example was far ahead) would be for naught. 

And it probably would have been if someone hadn't done away with the "Pandemic Response Team" a few years earlier. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, grandjean87 said:

So, good for the administration for doing what it did and what it should have. However, without the often lengthy varying scientific research backgrounds for differing vaccine types all the government and private foundation monies (Gates Foundation for example was far ahead) would be for naught. 

Yeah but the Warpspeed vaccines won't have surveillance chips in them like Gates foundation vaccines.

• Haha 5
22 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Yeah but the Warpspeed vaccines won't have surveillance chips in them like Gates foundation vaccines.

China manufactures the virus. 5G spreads it. Gates Foundation vaccine feeds the surveillance chips. Brilliant plan. 

11 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

China manufactures the virus. 5G spreads it. Gates Foundation vaccine feeds the surveillance chips. Brilliant plan. 

THIS is what the trump admin has done to science. That backward ass POS has done more to discredit the scientific community and related institutions, cut funding, and fill leadership roles on them with straight unqualified idiots than any admin in modern history - by a landslide. So no, I’m not rushing to give credit to a man who tried his damnedest to destroy the community that he’s now trying to hitch his wagon to...

• Idiot 1
8 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

THIS is what the trump admin has done to science. That backward ass POS has done more to discredit the scientific community and related institutions, cut funding, and fill leadership roles on them with straight unqualified idiots than any admin in modern history - by a landslide. So no, I’m not rushing to give credit to a man who tried his damnedest to destroy the community that he’s now trying to hitch his wagon to...

I think you give the Trumpster too much credit. There were and are plenty of gullible people that want to believe what they want to believe from the Illuminati to professional wrestling to 5G. It probably gives meaning and purpose to those people. If 245k deaths aren't enough to keep you from taking medical advice from the reality show host in chief, then bless their heart and let the chips fall.

Moderna news is VERY positive. 94% efficacy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/11/16/moderna-says-its-coronavirus-vaccine-is-more-than-94percent-effective.html

And from a distribution and storage standpoint, this would also be huge:

Moderna said Monday its vaccine remains stable at 36 to 46 degrees Fahrenheit, the temperature of a standard home or medical refrigerator, for up to 30 days. It can be stored for up to six months at negative 4 degrees Fahrenheit. By comparison, Pfizer's vaccine requires a storage temperature of minus 94 degrees Fahrenheit.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

Expected, but really astounding early data. Hearing maybe 20m doses (2-stage) by years end. Combined with Pfizer maybe 30+ m get dosed before 2021. 

Funny that this mRNA advancement could alter the course of the human species but Trump still gets more play on this board. Lol

But yes, outstanding news. Hopefully life gets somewhat back to normal over the next 6 to 12 months. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Funny that this mRNA advancement could alter the course of the human species but Trump still gets more play on this board. Lol

Yeh. Moderna’s ticker symbol is even MNRA. I haven’t done a deep dive on their vaccine and research. Still kicking myself for not tossing a few dollars at Novavax early last spring. 

• Like 1

I think the biggest thing about the Moderna vaccine is that it can be refrigerated for up to 30 days. 

It's doubtful that we're going to see distribution to people before the end of the year. 

It took 200,000 years for man to take flight. It took 66 years to go from Kitty Hawk to the Moon. It took less than a year for western scientists and researchers to come up with multiple answers to a viral pneumonia pandemic. This year has been rough, but we truly do live in charmed times.

• Like 7

I don't think there's a paywall, but if a summary includes lot of optimism w/some challenges.  The two mNRA vaccoines have proven highly effective, the spike protein target appears to be the right one, and other types of vaccines are likely to succeed soon as well.  J&J has one shot viral vector vaccine that could ramp up mass production when it hits its endpoints:

The (viral) vectors operate on a similar genetic principle to the mRNA vaccines, delivering instructions for cells to produce the coronavirus spike protein. “You can argue this validates the general approach,” Offit said. “They’re just different ways of getting the gene inside cells.”

https://endpts.com/moderna-bolsters-global-hopes-in-covid-19-vaccines-but-big-obstacles-remain/