Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Turkey.

15 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Let's talk Turkey.  We do this every year around this time.

How do you all cook your birds.

We had some first time spatchcockers, how did they turn out?  Any deep fry guys?

Spatchcocking is the only scientifically valid way to do a bird, fyi.

Thanks to this board, I've been spatchcocking for the last two years.

It truly is the best way, not to mention it won't completely fill your oven so there's room for other good stuff.

BTW, I've found the easiest way to cut out the backbone is to use a sawzall. 

16 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Thanks to this board, I've been spatchcocking for the last two years.

It truly is the best way, not to mention it won't completely fill your oven so there's room for other good stuff.

BTW, I've found the easiest way to cut out the backbone is to use a sawzall. 

I use my bowie knife from cold steel.  I get that spine out in like 2 minutes.

Glad we turned you onto the spatchcocking method.  

Also the best part of thanksgiving is the left over TURKEY NOODLE SOUP.  I cook mine down all day for about 10 hours and make the noodles by hand, my grandmothers old recipe.  

Deep.  Fried.  Brined 12 hrs beforehand.

The way God intended it.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Got a 16 lb-er on order from PorterHouse in Eagle. Gonna dry brine it a few days and throw it on the Weber kettle spatchcock style. I've done the cajun injection before with this method but it is not needed at all so I am skipping that.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

1 minute ago, RSF said:

Deep.  Fried.  Brined 12 hrs beforehand.

The way God intended it.

Deep fried is the absolute best method for sure.

I used to hunt turkeys with a buddy and we always deep fried those things. Only way to make them edible imho. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

I’ve tried cooking turkey every way imaginable and Sous Vide is the way to go.  I make a compound butter with fresh sage, thyme, rosemary, and garlic.  I pre-sear the bird pieces (2 legs/2 breasts from a broken down bird) and then apply a dry brine (2 parts sugar to 5 parts salt).  I smear the compound butter all over the seared pieces and package them up in food saver bags with some fresh lemon zest and maybe a tsp of the lemon juice (don’t go overboard on the citrus).    Sous Vide legs in water bath at 150 for 12 hours.  Reduce temperature to 130-135 and add the legs and let go for another 12 hours.  On Thanksgiving day, remove cooked parts 15-20 mins before eating and finish however you like - I sear breasts in a cast iron skillet and finish the legs under a broiler until the skin is crisped up.  Slice and serve.  Doing it this way is so much nicer on Thanksgiving day and frees up the oven for other things...  AND it will be the best turkey you ever ate.

v0icAvfW.jpg

51 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Deep fried is the absolute best method for sure.

I used to hunt turkeys with a buddy and we always deep fried those things. Only way to make them edible imho. 

I’ve eaten wild turkey dozens of times...  hunted them since I was in elementary school and went to college at a small Nebraska college.  My roommates and I hunted them and ate them all the way through college.  Fun to hunt but....a nice butterball is way better eating lol

2 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’ve tried cooking turkey every way imaginable and Sous Vide is the way to go.  I make a compound butter with fresh sage, thyme, rosemary, and garlic.  I pre-sear the bird pieces (2 legs/2 breasts from a broken down bird) and then apply a dry brine (2 parts sugar to 5 parts salt).  I smear the compound butter all over the seared pieces and package them up in food saver bags with some fresh lemon zest and maybe a tsp of the lemon juice (don’t go overboard on the citrus).    Sous Vide legs in water bath at 150 for 12 hours.  Reduce temperature to 130-135 and add the legs and let go for another 12 hours.  On Thanksgiving day, remove cooked parts 15-20 mins before eating and finish however you like - I sear breasts in a cast iron skillet and finish the legs under a broiler until the skin is crisped up.  Slice and serve.  Doing it this way is so much nicer on Thanksgiving day and frees up the oven for other things...  AND it will be the best turkey you ever ate.

I've had a hard time convincing myself to buy the set up for that.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

43 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I have every cooking contraption you can think of and my most used is my Joule Sous Vide...  by a long shot.

Nice. I've been looking at getting a Sous Vide, so it sounds like you're recommend it.

We're kinda weird and never do turkey on Thanksgiving but we do celebrate by cooking all day. This year is:

Rack of lamb with a mint basil pesto

Lobster mac and cheese in acorn squash

Wild mushroom white wine risotto with scallops

Prosciutto wrapped goat cheese stuffed dates

Bacon-wrapped cream cheese stuffed jalapenos poppers

Sage butter rolls

Cherry pie à la mode

We seem to try different things every year just to try. We began spatchcocking last year and it worked great. This year we are using a recipe from the ""Salt Acid Fat Heat" lady. We are brining it in buttermilk and salt for 48 hours and roasting it. Pretty simple but she knows what she is doing and we're excited to try it. My bother also always smokes some breasts which are hard to beat.