Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maji

Georgia Senate Runoff Thread

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Packing the Supreme Court is a terrible idea. 

False. 

Carry on...

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

22 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Even a cynic should be alarmed. If this is all performative and there is no actual belief or intent re: overturning results, you still have a generational jackass weakening those institutions for the sole purpose of maintaining a market share for some future media endeavor. We should be against that kind of thing.

But if we take these knuckleheads at their words, and assume they are just making good-faith appeals to the courts... well now that's just downright terrifying. Because those appeals would then be part of an honest effort (in collaboration with potentially legal and constitutional appeals to local and state elections officials) to overturn an election that Biden won handily. I mean, what if they actually achieved that? 

Yes. Exactly this. 

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

False. 

Carry on...

I'm on record as saying that I'm on board with packing the court just enough for me to get a nomination. It's going to take a while, but man, lifetime appointments are worth waiting for!

Just now, NVGiant said:

I'm on record as saying that I'm on board with packing the court just enough for me to get a nomination. It's going to take a while, but man, lifetime appointments are worth waiting for!

I'll testify against your nomination. No one wants a word nanny editing silencing their published opinions. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

6 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Testimony from an anarchist? I'm a shoe-in.

buy-gadsden-live-rattlesnake-snake-flag-

21 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

You're a really smart guy, but you're being naive. You're in a dreamworld where people like Bob and Convert don't matter, or will somehow revert to sanity once Trump is done stirring them up. Our institutions do not work without the consent of the governed, and right now the idiots think an election is being stolen from them. And there are a lot of them. That is a decaying force, whether you want to admit it or not. Packing the Supreme Court is a terrible idea. Adding states through the Constitution is nothing new. And ending the filibuster has no standing in the Constitution at all. Moves like that make things worse, and certainly weaken the Supreme Court, but it's not the same as attacking democracy itself. Again, I'll remind you that it's not just about the courts. Maybe next time Georgia's Secretary of State is a different guy, who thinks he is justified in skimming a few votes off the top. Maybe those two in Wayne County push harder in disenfranchising an entire city. Or maybe next time there are enough of them spread across the country that they no longer receive the helping of shit they deservedly got from the public.

Do I think, institutions will die because of Trump? No. I will forever believe that they can and will hold. But that only happens if the institutionalist admit a threat when they see one, and react accordingly. I'm not talking about this particular election. It might not even be about the next election. But you let the rot set in, man, shit can and will crumble. We are not infallible, and neither our institutions.

And remember, the orange douche may soon go away, though I doubt it. But the people who support him will not. And they all think they are being robbed. You don't think there are consequences to that?

There isn’t a real threat, though. Bob and Convert and people like them were loons before Trump, they’ll be loons long after him. America has always been filled with them. The wretched refuse, tempest tost, and all that. We are a country filled with lunatics that is the best hope for a world filled with lunatics.

We spent three ridiculous years breathlessly concerned with whether or not the Russians had planted a Manchurian candidate in the Oval Office. Many Democrats still believe Bush stole the election through the Supreme Court. There are certainly a few geezers who think Nixon got screwed by Kennedy. Now I’m supposed to believe the weirdest President ever, crying like a baby, because that’s literally all the power he has left despite his position, is some great long term danger to the government? 

No. Just no. A different Secretary of State in Georgia would still have to live and answer to Georgians. Wayne County morons still remain beholden to a Michigan legislature and governor that still have to live in Michigan. There are levels and levels of checks even beyond that, which I’ve went through elsewhere from the top down to set people at ease.

This is a sad, pathetic little man accepting defeat pathetically. Losing has a momentum all its own. And in America, losers never prosper for long.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

10 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Would there be anybody left to file lawsuits?

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

8 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

There isn’t a real threat, though. Bob and Convert and people like them were loons before Trump, they’ll be loons long after him. America has always been filled with them. The wretched refuse, tempest tost, and all that. We are a country filled with lunatics that is the best hope for a world filled with lunatics.

We spent three ridiculous years breathlessly concerned with whether or not the Russians had planted a Manchurian candidate in the Oval Office. Many Democrats still believe Bush stole the election through the Supreme Court. There are certainly a few geezers who think Nixon got screwed by Kennedy. Now I’m supposed to believe the weirdest President ever crying like a baby, because that’s literally all the power he has despite his position, is some great long term danger to the government? 

No. Just no. A different Secretary of State in Georgia would still have to live and answer to Georgians. Wayne County morons still remain beholden to a Michigan legislature and governor that still have to live in Michigan. There are levels and levels of checks even beyond that, which I’ve went through elsewhere from the top down to see people at ease.

This is sad, pathetic little man accepting defeat pathetically. Losing has a momentum all its own. And in America, losers never prosper for long.

And many thought Obama was a Manchurian candidate, too. Again, other than in the 2000 election that was decided by 500 votes, none of those related to the institutions of democracy itself. And it had the benefit of Gore actually not willing to set the country on fire. If this was actually a similarly close election, and thankfully it wasn't, are you really certain the institutions would have held this time? 

And with as pervasive as social media is, the loons have a megaphone, which is something you shouldn't discount.

6 minutes ago, RSF said:

Would there be anybody left to file lawsuits?

Ha! Gawd, I hope not. I'd be exposed as a fraud in no time, with nothing but a lifetime paycheck to protect me.

35 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Honest question - what is your take on restrictions on SLAPP lawsuits and on vexatious litigants? (Edit: add ADA lawsuit reform to that list)

I don’t know :shrug:. Vexatious litigants piss me off, but the right to bring disputes before a court is something I fundamentally value. It’s not a part of law and jurisprudence that I’ve studied much or have interest in.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

11 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I don’t know :shrug:. Vexatious litigants piss me off, but the right to bring disputes before a court is something I fundamentally value. It’s not a part of law and jurisprudence that I’ve studied much or have interest in.

Why do they piss you off? 

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Lol no, the true conservatives did not become democrats. Your authoritarian menace is currently appealing to the law courts, as fascists are known to do, while embarrassing himself daily in his tantrum. You’ve lost touch with reality.

Where did I write Democrats?  I specifically said Biden supporters did I not?   And since when is Trump “my” authoritarian menace?   

I think the one spinning an alternate reality may be you.  

8 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

And many thought Obama was a Manchurian candidate, too. Again, other than in the 2000 election that was decided by 500 votes, none of those related to the institutions of democracy itself. And it had the benefit of Gore actually not willing to set the country on fire. If this was actually a similarly close election, and thankfully it wasn't, are you really certain the institutions would have held this time? 

And with as pervasive as social media is, the loons have a megaphone, which is something you shouldn't discount.

And the GOP didn't make those people the heart, soul and voice of their party at the time. If it's true that the US is the best hope for a world filled with lunatics (which I don't disagree with), then it should be concerning when our lunatics are put at the wheel of our national politics and governance. 

43 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

You're a really smart guy, but you're being naive. You're in a dreamworld where people like Bob and Convert don't matter, or will somehow revert to sanity once Trump is done stirring them up. Our institutions do not work without the consent of the governed, and right now the idiots think an election is being stolen from them. And there are a lot of them. That is a decaying force, whether you want to admit it or not. Packing the Supreme Court is a terrible idea. Adding states through the Constitution is nothing new. And ending the filibuster has no standing in the Constitution at all. Moves like that make things worse, and certainly weaken the Supreme Court, but it's not the same as attacking democracy itself. Again, I'll remind you that it's not just about the courts. Maybe next time Georgia's Secretary of State is a different guy, who thinks he is justified in skimming a few votes off the top. Maybe those two in Wayne County push harder in disenfranchising an entire city. Or maybe next time there are enough of them spread across the country that they no longer receive the helping of shit they deservedly got from the public.

Do I think, institutions will die because of Trump? No. I will forever believe that they can and will hold. But that only happens if the institutionalist admit a threat when they see one, and react accordingly. I'm not talking about this particular election. It might not even be about the next election. But you let the rot set in, man, shit can and will crumble. We are not infallible, and neither our institutions.

And remember, the orange douche may soon go away, though I doubt it. But the people who support him will not. And they all think they are being robbed. You don't think there are consequences to that?

Actually though I’m not in favor of it changing the size of the Supreme Court is nothing new either.  It has been done before.   

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Yep I know and I think it may well backfire on them.  The same college educated suburban whites who came out in droves and were content to vote Biden / Republican may well decide with such behavior the Republican Senate has to go also.  Curious how @mugtang would vote at this point.  He is a bit of a barometer. 

I don’t know how I would vote if I lived in Georgia.  I’d probably lean toward the gop candidates as I want the senate to be a guard rail against the more progressive proposals that some of the Dems will propose. I also don’t think Biden will finish his first term so eventually Harris, the most progressive senator by voting record, will be President and I want that check on her. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

9 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

And the GOP didn't make those people the heart, soul and voice of their party at the time. If it's true that the US is the best hope for a world filled with lunatics (which I don't disagree with), then it should be concerning when our lunatics are put at the wheel of our national politics and governance. 

I think was is different now is that group spinning off into their own echo chamber of lies and propaganda.   We have had loons forever but we have not had loons and the effective propaganda echo chambers like we see today.  

6 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Actually though I’m not in favor of it changing the size of the Supreme Court is nothing new either.  It has been done before.   

Indeed. Multiple times. 

29 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Bruh, the last administration had the incoming National Security adviser criminally investigated for violating the freakin Logan Act. Loons with a megaphone are not in any way new, all that dangerous, or something America hasn’t endured repeatedly.