Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

I voted for Donald Trump twice

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

Newt was very polarizing and resorted to Political theater to grab attention for the Far Right. His own Party Leadership condemned him and even went to the Dem Speaker to have him censured.

Early to mid 90's if memory serves me correctly.

Yes, I do recall that. 

I also think that in the last decade, the evolved incarnation* of the Tea Party (which ended up placing representatives in office) represented a milestone, as it introduced a new vein of conservatism that viewed compromise as "evil." While the antecedent of this ideological demagoguery had existed for some time, the Tea Party caucus had enough critical mass to exert a disproportionate influence on the GOP (IMHO). Now, fear of getting "primaried" is the norm, thus entrenching (segments of) establishment Republicans in uncompromising, far-right positions.

My hope moving forward lies in a fundamental difference I perceive in an underlying characteristic of the two parties.

Whereas I see the GOP as being fundamentally opportunistic in nature (not meant as a pejorative remark, but rather my perception absent of judgement), I see the DNC as being being driven by more reason-based pragmatism. In other words, there are actions/pathways the GOP wouldn't hesitate to pursue given the opportunity to further pursuit of their goals and objectives. Dems on the other hand try to workshop and focus group the shit out of policy in an effort to appease everybody and piss off nobody.

Thus, whereas the GOP didn't hesitate to use the Trump base to further their objectives, I honestly don't think we have to worry about a Biden administration kowtowing to the most extremist tendencies of the most liberal wing of the party. 

Just my hopes... I've given this some considerable thought so as to feel as optimistic as I possible can given how divided we are at present.

:USFlag:

*The Tea Party began as an organic activist movement during the Great Recession before it pivoted into a political movement funded by the Koch brothers and organized by former Rep. Dick Army.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

6 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Nah. They're pretty similar. 

Seems based on the primary and the general, the platforms he took, he has heeded the leftward swing of his party.  His platform is further to the left of 2016 HRC, Obama or Clinton, fairly substantially.

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Seems based on the primary and the general, the platforms he took, he has heeded the leftward swing of his party.  His platform is further to the left of 2016 HRC, Obama or Clinton, fairly substantially.

It was Bernie’s influence in the platform. Not sure it will really matter in practice. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

I’m going to give Biden a chance to govern for the whole country and not just his base. I hope he and McConnell will work together like Reagan and O’Neill did.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Bob said:

Biden believes in absolutely nothing. He changes and bends his opinions and convictions to what will make him most popular and make him the most amount of I’ll-gotten money. I respect people like @Akkula and AOC more because they have true convictions and beliefs no matter how misguided. Biden is scum of the earth. Piece of absolute shit. Nothing worse than a hypocrite and a fake

You’re Bluerules minus a 🧠 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

3 minutes ago, Bob said:

Biden believes in absolutely nothing. He changes and bends his opinions and convictions to what will make him most popular and make him the most amount of I’ll-gotten money. I respect people like @Akkula and AOC more because they have true convictions and beliefs no matter how misguided. Biden is scum of the earth. Piece of absolute shit. Nothing worse than a hypocrite and a fake

Well, we'll have to disagree on that. I don't agree with all of Biden's platform, but I prefer Biden to AOC

4 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

It was Bernie’s influence in the platform. Not sure it will really matter in practice. 

We will see.  It is going to be interesting to watch play out.  I don't think we can discount what Biden campaigned on.  He campaigned on being the most progressive POTUS in history, by a good deal.  He's not a Republican.  

15 minutes ago, Bob said:

What did you like about Pete. I can’t get a bead on your politics

It's hard to explain without going into detail. Mayor Pete would’ve governed as a pragmatic centrist. I prefer his views on the economy, trade, and energy to other Democratic candidates

34 minutes ago, Maji said:

It's hard to explain without going into detail. Mayor Pete would’ve governed as a pragmatic centrist. I prefer his views on the economy, trade, and energy to other Democratic candidates

Pete and Wang were the most palatable of the Democrats in my opinion. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Its one thing to agree with and talk about policy. I can agree with some of David Dukes positions.

In the end though, I will never support a candidate who purposefully divides and widens that division with inflammatory rhetoric,  forces us to choose sides, denigrates those who are different in any way, and instead of reaching out to the other side, insists they come to him.

Besides that, the fact that he runs a Cult of Personality and Ideology scares the Phuck out of me.

That is fine but you can realize that many on the right ( rightly or wrongly) put aside Trumps personality because he was the first candidate who said things like it was wrong for China to take our jobs.  He renegotiated trade deals like NAFTA.

Hell 5 years ago I said the same thing on this board and was attacked by the right and left.   You can’t ignore that 5 years ago neither party gave a shit about how many jobs we exported.  Quite frankly, I don’t think the Republicans still care but if Biden can keep up the pressure with some new policies perhaps the Dems can win some working class back. 

2 hours ago, Bob said:

"He's THE nicest person I think I've ever met in politics. He is as good a man as God ever created." - Lindsey Graham, about Joe Biden

2 hours ago, Bob said:

You have some serious rage issues. 

I also find the reasons for your hatred towards Biden to be hilarious, given that you almost perfectly described Donald Trump.

7 minutes ago, retrofade said:

You have some serious rage issues. 

I also find the reasons for your hatred towards Biden to be hilarious, given that you almost perfectly described Donald Trump.

It's almost f*cking magical. I honestly don't know how his head doesn't literally explode from cognitive dissonance. :blink: