Jump to content
SparkysDad

BYU Should Be Unhappy

Recommended Posts

BYU would've been better served with a game winning final drive in a hard fought battle against Boise State at full strength.

With a blowout win against BSU's 3rd string QB (who probably got almost 0 snaps last week as the coaches tried to prep Jack Sears), without their starting RB and their best DL injured and a young OLine,, this one will come back to bite BYU when Boise State drops a couple of MWC games. And SDSU is your next toughest game? Bwahaha...

Apologies to the "good" BYU fans. Just lookin' for some kind of silver lining after last night's debacle!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what BYU strategic regarding 12/19 is. Are they trying to add the best team they can possible get to make a case for the CFP (or make it easy for them to claim a "national championship" -like UCF did- if they go undefeated) or are they just hoping to go 10-0  (ie not add a game on 12/19) and hoping they get an at large bid to the Access bowl. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I could care less. I’m just a BYU fan. I enjoyed beating USC and Tennessee nearly as much last year. BYU fans are spoiled rotten and I acknowledge that. We have a great program with a great history. Wilson is another player in a long list of phenomenal players to watch.

 

go cougs

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SparkysDad said:

BYU would've been better served with a game winning final drive in a hard fought battle against Boise State at full strength.

With a blowout win against BSU's 3rd string QB (who probably got almost 0 snaps last week as the coaches tried to prep Jack Sears), without their starting RB and their best DL injured and a young OLine,, this one will come back to bite BYU when Boise State drops a couple of MWC games. And SDSU is your next toughest game? Bwahaha...

Apologies to the "good" BYU fans. Just lookin' for some kind of silver lining after last night's debacle!

We're happy. Winning by a lot on your blue field is fun.

 

18 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

and I do kinda agree with your point. With SDSU losing to SJSU this was BYU "marquee" game. If BSU had their starting QB the win (even if it was by a much smaller margin) would have a lot more weight. 

Boise is the marquee game. They were ranked at the time and it was a road win. They'll probably finish ranked. You guys probably won't be after losing to SJSU.

Nobody can help the schedule this year. It is what it is. People who vote on this stuff don't care about who played and I doubt even know the story of what happened. They see 51-17 and make the votes based on that.

 

21 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

I wonder what BYU strategic regarding 12/19 is. Are they trying to add the best team they can possible get to make a case for the CFP (or make it easy for them to claim a "national championship" -like UCF did- if they go undefeated) or are they just hoping to go 10-0  (ie not add a game on 12/19) and hoping they get an at large bid to the Access bowl. 

BYU can't go to the Access Bowl. If they go to an NY6, it will be because they were selected by the committee. There's very few teams with open dates to play.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

We're happy. Winning by a lot on your blue field is fun.

 

Boise is the marquee game. They were ranked at the time and it was a road win. They'll probably finish ranked. You guys probably won't be after losing to SJSU.

I am not a SDSU fan. 

Nobody can help the schedule this year. It is what it is. People who vote on this stuff don't care about who played and I doubt even know the story of what happened. They see 51-17 and make the votes based on that.

You can add Coastal Carolina, Liberty, or ideally a Big-5 ranked school (last one might be hard to do) on 12/19. That would help the schedule. 

 

BYU can't go to the Access Bowl. If they go to an NY6, it will be because they were selected by the committee. There's very few teams with open dates to play.

Access Bowls are the NY6... Obviously then need at large bid as they aren't in a conference. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thedude15 said:

and I do kinda agree with your point. With SDSU losing to SJSU this was BYU "marquee" game. If BSU had their starting QB the win (even if it was by a much smaller margin) would have a lot more weight. 

That may be so... but that was BSU's #1 defense, and BYU hung 51 points on them. If BSU had their #1 QB, perhaps this game is a shootout, but still, BSU's defense got mauled.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

With the way Cincy has looked I think they have a better shot

Yeah in terms of CFP Cincy has a WAY better shot. I still doubt they get it. But they have a more legitimate case the claim "national championship" after a 12-0 season (which would include a win over a power 5 team in an Access bowl" than BYU with an 11-0 season/weaker sch/possible far worse bowl game. 

CFP is still a long long shot for Cincy though.

 

-

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

BYU beat BSU last year with a 3rd string QB.  Short memory I guess.

Add in he was a walk-on true freshmen that had just returned home from a mission,   That sound a lot like the whole Boise St Cade Fennegan deal, except for Baylor played the week before (6-10-73 yards) when Hall down at South Florida.   Baylor was a walk-on and the Boise game was likely a factoring reason why he earn a scholarship this year.  BYU was down to just a couple RB's for the game Sione Finau and Lopini Katoa,  Tyler Allgeier was BYU's leading tackler in the game with 9 tackles and was moved later in the season to RB when Finau went down with a season end injury.  Ty'Son Williams had season injury (ACL) earlier in the season and Emmanuel Esukpa was out with injury for that game.  BYU RB's last year was truly a next man or next man over unit last year game after game: 

Ty'Son Williams 6' 220- Rushing 49-264 yards, 3 TD's; Receiving 7-47 yards

Emmanuel Esukpa 5' 11" 225- Rushing 46-190 yards, 2 TD's; Receiving 2-12 yards

Lopini Katoa 6' 1" 220- Rushing 85-358 yards, 4 TD's; Receiving 24-288 yards, 1 TD

Sione Finau 5' 11" 185- Rushing 59-359 yards, 2 TD's; Receiving 4-29 yards

Jackson McChesney 6' 205- Rushing 25-274 yards, 2 TD's; Receiving 2- (-7) yards

Tyler Allgeier 5' 11" 220- Rushing 17-119 yards; Receiving 3-67 yards, 1 TD

Masen Wake 6' 1" 250- Rushing 3-6 yards (mainly use as a blocker)

The only RB who stay semi-healthy last year was Katoa and Allgeier, but Tyler almost the whole season at LB (finished 10th in tackles on the team in 2019).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2020 at 6:22 PM, SparkysDad said:

BYU would've been better served with a game winning final drive in a hard fought battle against Boise State at full strength.

With a blowout win against BSU's 3rd string QB (who probably got almost 0 snaps last week as the coaches tried to prep Jack Sears), without their starting RB and their best DL injured and a young OLine,, this one will come back to bite BYU when Boise State drops a couple of MWC games. And SDSU is your next toughest game? Bwahaha...

Apologies to the "good" BYU fans. Just lookin' for some kind of silver lining after last night's debacle!

I think BYU just needs to win out and they have an at large selection. If we beat SDSU we are probably heading to the Fiesta bowl. Tom needs to play Army or no one. Marshall or Liberty is high risk no reward. Maybe Cincinnati if it would put one of us in the payoffs. 
 

I guess USU would be fine on December 19. Hawaii should not be considered as a possible Dec 19th game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, robe said:

I think BYU just needs to win out and they have an at large selection. If we beat SDSU we are probably heading to the Fiesta bowl. Tom needs to play Army or no one. Marshall or Liberty is high risk no reward. Maybe Cincinnati if it would put one of us in the payoffs. 
 

I guess USU would be fine on December 19. Hawaii should not be considered as a possible Dec 19th game.

Assuming the CFP committee ranks the teams similar to what the AP has, then that looks to be the case.  If BYU can hold on to the #8 spot, or even move up as other teams drop, then they'll likely get an at-large bid to a NY6 game.

If Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson win out, then I don't think it will matter what the other teams do - those three will be in the playoff.  Assuming Notre Dame doesn't suffer any other losses except to Clemson in the ACC title game, they're probably locked in as well.

Playing additional games may not help BYU and could definitely hurt if they suffer a loss.  Still, I would like to see this team play more games against good opponents if they become available - especially if they can swing a game against Utah somehow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Assuming the CFP committee ranks the teams similar to what the AP has, then that looks to be the case.  If BYU can hold on to the #8 spot, or even move up as other teams drop, then they'll likely get an at-large bid to a NY6 game.

If Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson win out, then I don't think it will matter what the other teams do - those three will be in the playoff.  Assuming Notre Dame doesn't suffer any other losses except to Clemson in the ACC title game, they're probably locked in as well.

Playing additional games may not help BYU and could definitely hurt if they suffer a loss.  Still, I would like to see this team play more games against good opponents if they become available - especially if they can swing a game against Utah somehow.

I would love to see them play more games. But I would rather see them in a NY6 game and right now they are nearly a lock. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...