Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

Brady Aztecs vs Rocky's Aztecs

There seems to be an edge and nastiness to this years teams that Ricky's teams didn't  seem to have. The o-line has been moving the los 3-5 yards on just about every play. The defense seems even more dominating. 

I know it's only two games and the Aztecs have a history of fast starts  and meh finishes, but this year's team looks and feels much better.

Any thoughts Aztec Nation ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Meh. I think we projected a pretty nasty defense based on what we returned and even though our offense is humming we are running the ball just as much as before even if we run more RPO's. I don't think we will know what we have until a couple more weeks. I do think that the offense was always going to be meh with Rocky because he is hell bent on ball control so I wouldn't be surprised if moral and excitement on that side of the ball is up this year. 

Quality of talent on this team overall is best in 10 years.

This week and more so next week we will get tested.

Its been a while since we had a killer D line and our O line is working nicely if not very good.

5 RB's all would start or see significant playing time on every other MWC team...

Hoke, overall, seems to connect with the kids (appears from afar) better than Rocky. Still, Rocky is the best D-Coord in the Country and they will have NM running on all cylinders in a couple of years-just watch.

SJSU is fired up- Hope our kids are paying attention. 

19 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Meh. I think we projected a pretty nasty defense based on what we returned and even though our offense is humming we are running the ball just as much as before even if we run more RPO's. I don't think we will know what we have until a couple more weeks. I do think that the offense was always going to be meh with Rocky because he is hell bent on ball control so I wouldn't be surprised if moral and excitement on that side of the ball is up this year. 

This is basically the same Oline that struggled  the second half of last season. They definitely are nastier and more physical.

I also feel the Bell Boys are >>>>>>> than last year's  backs.

Americans Mayor

2 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

This is basically the same Oline that struggled  the second half of last season. They definitely are nastier and more physical.

I also feel the Bell Boys are >>>>>>> than last year's  backs.

Is that just a function of having a bit more experience this year?  The game really slows down and becomes much easier to play as one gets more game reps. I would think last year's reps for this O-line are very valuable for them as they work together this year.

1 hour ago, Rev McQuervo said:

Its been a while since we had a killer D line and our O line is working nicely if not very good.

5 RB's all would start or see significant playing time on every other MWC team...

Hoke, overall, seems to connect with the kids (appears from afar) better than Rocky. Still, Rocky is the best D-Coord in the Country and they will have NM running on all cylinders in a couple of years-just watch.

Had the opportunity to interact with both of them back in my HS coaching days. Enjoyed both of them, but RL is definitely cut from a different cloth.  Hoke is very outgoing and talkative, "sit down coach, pull up a chair". RL is just a bit more reserved and stoic. "Uhh, Coach Long, is it okay if I sit here?" He'd look at you, "sure." :D

Biggest difference IMO is on offense with scheme.  We are actually spreading the ball around which opens up the run game.  No longer are we trying to run the ball into 8 and 9 man boxes over and over again.  Instead we have been running almost exclusively against 6 and 7 man boxes - hence the rushing stats thus far.  It's a lot easier for 6 guys to block 6 or 7 defenders than 7 guys block 8 or 9 defenders.

On defense, Mattix is not calling as many blitzes as Rocky normally did and partly as a result we've been playing zone coverage more so than in the past.  At least that's what it has looked like to me. 

9 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Biggest difference IMO is on offense with scheme.  We are actually spreading the ball around which opens up the run game.  No longer are we trying to run the ball into 8 and 9 man boxes over and over again.  Instead we have been running almost exclusively against 6 and 7 man boxes - hence the rushing stats thus far.  It's a lot easier for 6 guys to block 6 or 7 defenders than 7 guys block 8 or 9 defenders.

On defense, Mattix is not calling as many blitzes as Rocky normally did and partly as a result we've been playing zone coverage more so than in the past.  At least that's what it has looked like to me. 

You think the change to more RPO's early is the difference? My fear is eventually someone will load the box and see if we can actually throw it enough...this is what I'm waiting to see. 

1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

You think the change to more RPO's early is the difference? My fear is eventually someone will load the box and see if we can actually throw it enough...this is what I'm waiting to see. 

We have talented receivers.  It's up to Baker to give them the shot.  

19 hours ago, AztecSU said:

I haven't seen many overt RPO's thus far.  There may have been more that I didn't pick up on.  The first TD against USU was one but didn't see many after that.

I think we're going to see more single high safety looks with an extra guy in the box going forward.  If I were a DC going against this offense that's what I would do.  It will be incumbent upon Baker to be able to connect with the open receiver(s) to back defenses off.  I think Hecklinski scripting the first 20 or so plays on a 50/50 run/pass mix helps loosen up the defense and allows the run game to work later. 

1 minute ago, Fowl said:

I haven't seen many overt RPO's thus far.  There may have been more that I didn't pick up on.  The first TD against USU was one but didn't see many after that.

I think we're going to see more single high safety looks with an extra guy in the box going forward.  If I were a DC going against this offense that's what I would do.  It will be incumbent upon Baker to be able to connect with the open receiver(s) to back defenses off.  I think Hecklinski scripting the first 20 or so plays on a 50/50 run/pass mix helps loosen up the defense and allows the run game to work later. 

Right, it's a new formula with a similar pattern to before though. The test is going to be when a DC won't back off no matter what and see if we can win throwing it 30+ times. I have faith in Baker but until we do it I wonder...

43 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Right, it's a new formula with a similar pattern to before though. The test is going to be when a DC won't back off no matter what and see if we can win throwing it 30+ times. I have faith in Baker but until we do it I wonder...

While Sparty and the Bows will test us a bit more, Nevada will be our first true test in all three phases.

Americans Mayor

Don't discount Sparties D- they come at you. We will have a tough time with their O, hope we get out of the blocks quickly....

7 hours ago, Fowl said:

Concur. If I was facing SDSU, they are beating me through the air, not just going to run it down my throat. Until they can prove to me they can hurt me with their passing game, my focus is on stopping the ground game.

Now if I'm the Aztecs, you want to load up the box, I'm going to spread you out with formation. If they don't honor the formation, then we have to be able to throw the ball well enough to make them line up to us. Once we are spread out and force them to honor the formation, now we can decide run/pass at the LOS. That gets fun when you can control how the D lines up and you get to attack at the D's weak spots.

On 11/4/2020 at 9:29 AM, Rev McQuervo said:

From up close , I see how Hoke does connects with kids. Believe it. Also , I see a team that likes each other, has some fun, roots for each other, just like Rockys teams did. Get past an SJSU air raid, and I see no MWC opposition of note. Watched Upper Nevada tonite, not impressed. 

1 hour ago, dshawfan said:

Concur. If I was facing SDSU, they are beating me through the air, not just going to run it down my throat. Until they can prove to me they can hurt me with their passing game, my focus is on stopping the ground game.

Now if I'm the Aztecs, you want to load up the box, I'm going to spread you out with formation. If they don't honor the formation, then we have to be able to throw the ball well enough to make them line up to us. Once we are spread out and force them to honor the formation, now we can decide run/pass at the LOS. That gets fun when you can control how the D lines up and you get to attack at the D's weak spots.

You can’t leave three WRs uncovered. Same for two TEs. So, no, you no longer can stack the box on the Aztecs, as in years past. We are blessed to have Jeff Hecklinski as OC. 

Oh, then there’s Greg Bell. Oh, my! 

Nevada certainly played down to the level- still scratching my head as to why in the F would the Utah State D-Cord only rush 3=stupid.

Lets see how the Josers react when the QB is on his back. They will try the run, my guess is they will try it more than to date.

AF1 Nevada is talented- that will be a tough game, first get past the Josers.