Jump to content
idkk

SJSU @ SDSU

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Agree with all this. The most impressive thing tonight was no one flinched when starkel went down. The team had Nash’s back the whole way, helped him settle in, and made plays for him. Past Spartan teams would have rolled over. Brennan is impressive. I apologize publicly for calling for him to be fired after year two.

This team also played with an edge tonight, but also kept their shit together. I feel like Osuna brought an edge last year, but he couldn't stay on the field because of that edge. These guys were not gonna be pushed around, But there weren't really any dumb penalties. Add their talent to that, and you got trouble for the conference. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, sjsbuff said:

A compelling match-up between two 2-6 teams.  I (vaguely) recall being there...

How that game between WAC bottom feeders made it on ABC was puzzling, then it became an absolute dog fight. Nate Burleson had 326 receiving yards and no touchdowns, that has to be some kind of record. 

Then there was Chance Kretschmer... and, well... +++++ BYU forever and ever. 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dogs4Me said:

What’s the O/U on SJSU HC leaving after this season?

I think that the only job he would leave for is UCLA, which is his alma mater. I don’t see it happening anytime soon. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fowl said:

First Downs          SJSU 16       SDSU 20

Total Yards           SJSU 298     SDSU 362

Time of Possession SJSU 23:52   SDSU 36:08

You forgot turnovers...

SDSU  3

SJSU  1

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SpartanDude said:

You forgot one stat:

Points                      SJSU 28           SDSU 17

And that's with our starting Qb knocked out of the game after 3 plays.  Sine he's putting out stats which team ended up with the most rushing yards? 

Here's another stat for you, Fowl: SJSU was limited to just 50 yards of offense in the first five series until Nash got his feet under himself and started believing that he could get the job done.  It's a hard thing coming off the bench cold and expecting a guy to perform at peak performance right away!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SPARTOM said:

And that's with our starting Qb knocked out of the game after 3 plays.  Sine he's putting out stats which team ended up with the most rushing yards? 

Here's another stat for you, Fowl: SJSU was limited to just 50 yards of offense in the first five series until Nash got his feet under himself and started believing that he could get the job done.  It's a hard thing coming off the bench cold and expecting a guy to perform at peak performance right away!

I thought Nash was one of the reasons you guys won the game. Congrats!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Never understood the emphasis on time of possession. Let me guess. The players somehow get tired while standing on the field with the clock running while they wait for the next snap? Number of PLAYS is what matters.

But I digress. Major props to the Spartans and to Brennan, whom I criticized plenty his first two years - not for his demeanor, which was always excellent, but for his qualifications to be a HC. I was very wrong about the latter point.

Here's to SJSU winning out. You guys have some talent but most of all your team goes all out on every play and that's a credit to your staff.

  • Cheers 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, didn't expect this. 2020 is all kinds of topsy-turvy. BSU going through half a dozen QBs 3 games in, Pokes losing to the sheep, SJSU beating SUDS by double digits...

I just don't know what to expect anymore.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Agree with all this. The most impressive thing tonight was no one flinched when starkel went down. The team had Nash’s back the whole way, helped him settle in, and made plays for him. Past Spartan teams would have rolled over. Brennan is impressive. I apologize publicly for calling for him to be fired after year two.

Watching from afar it was apparent SJSU was getting better a couple of years ago under Brennen. Even though they were losing they were competitive and not blowouts.

The road wins over Arkansas and Army showed they were on the way back. Enjoy this season Spartan fans. Unfortunately Brennen  is going to leave the same as McIntire. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Watching from afar it was apparent SJSU was getting better a couple of years ago under Brennen. Even though they were losing they were competitive and not blowouts.

The road wins over Arkansas and Army showed they were on the way back. Enjoy this season Spartan fans. Unfortunately Brennen  is going to leave the same as McIntire. 

It’s doubtful Brennan will leave SJS anytime soon. He has close emotional ties to the university (both parents were alums), and the Athletic Administration and school president stood by him after the first two brutal seasons. He has continually made statements about wanting to be at the school a long time, and build the program into a winner. A change in the AD position might have an impact, as he is very close with Marie Tuite. Also, if UCLA, his alma mater, should come calling, he would look hard at that opportunity. Of greater concern is losing key members of his staff; specifically OC Kevin McGiven, DC Derrick Odom, QBC Ryan Gunderson, and Recruiting Coordinator/RB Alonzo Carter. If the season finishes well for SJS, I fully expect to see departures by some staff members.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike Morgan said:

It’s doubtful Brennan will leave SJS anytime soon. He has close emotional ties to the university (both parents were alums), and the Athletic Administration and school president stood by him after the first two brutal seasons. He has continually made statements about wanting to be at the school a long time, and build the program into a winner. A change in the AD position might have an impact, as he is very close with Marie Tuite. Also, if UCLA, his alma mater, should come calling, he would look hard at that opportunity. Of greater concern is losing key members of his staff; specifically OC Kevin McGiven, DC Derrick Odom, QBC Ryan Gunderson, and Recruiting Coordinator/RB Alonzo Carter. If the season finishes well for SJS, I fully expect to see departures by some staff members.

All G5 fans sadly want to believe that their successful head coach will stay. P5 schools can easily triple his salary. He may last another year, but like McIntire he’s gone if he gets an offer. 

You are correct about asst coaches. Boise State has lost three OCs and two DCs to P5 schools in Harsin’s five years at Boise State. Harsin will also be gone if he gets an offer and he’s a local Boise kid that grew up here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mike Morgan said:

It’s doubtful Brennan will leave SJS anytime soon. He has close emotional ties to the university (both parents were alums), and the Athletic Administration and school president stood by him after the first two brutal seasons. He has continually made statements about wanting to be at the school a long time, and build the program into a winner. A change in the AD position might have an impact, as he is very close with Marie Tuite. Also, if UCLA, his alma mater, should come calling, he would look hard at that opportunity. Of greater concern is losing key members of his staff; specifically OC Kevin McGiven, DC Derrick Odom, QBC Ryan Gunderson, and Recruiting Coordinator/RB Alonzo Carter. If the season finishes well for SJS, I fully expect to see departures by some staff members.

Gunderson was supposedly in the running for Oregon OC this past offseason. I think he'll get some enticing offers if Starkel/Nash continue to have success this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...