Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tailingpermit

BYU vs BSU

1 hour ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

You haven’t beaten a team with a pulse all year. 

Although that may be true, that's not BYU's fault. We did our part to schedule an amazing lineup of games that was taken away from us by no fault of our own. It's highly commendable (and voters agree) that BYU was able to string together enough games to salvage their season. Plus, the manner in which BYU is beating teams should not be overlooked. At the end of the day, the collective coaches and AP voters have seen enough evidence to place BYU at #9 in both the Coaches and AP poll. That's enough for me to feel BYU's ranking is merited. 

The Cougars enter November ranked 12th in SP+, despite still being held back by preseason projections that ranked them 53rd. Looking at the scores of their games they've done everything asked of them and then some.

A few years ago, an ESPN analyst created a measure called résumé SP+. It derives your résumé by looking at the teams you have played and projecting what the average top-five team, per SP+, would have done (in terms of scoring margin) against that schedule. It then compares that to what you've actually produced.

Here are the current résumé SP+ rankings among teams with a minimum of two games.

1. Ohio State (+10.6 PPG above what the average top-five team would done against its schedule)
2. Alabama (+5.4)
3. Cincinnati (+2.4)
4. Clemson (+0.7)
5. BYU (-0.9)

That clearly shows that BYU has produced a scoring margin against it's schedule that is right in line with how a Top 5-10 team should perform. Notre Dame (-2.3) is sixth, Georgia (-4.5) eighth. BYU's SOS may not be great but they've performed against that schedule in an incredible manner. 

22 hours ago, Bronco7454 said:

INJURIES OR QUESTIONABLE PLAYERS FOR BOISE STATE

STARTING QB - Hank Bachmeier - True Soph. - Did not make the trip to play Air Force on Saturday for reasons unknown (at this point) - Replaced by QB Jack Sears for Air Force game

STARTING RB - George Holani - True Soph. - Injured vs. Air Force on Saturday after only 2 carries for 5 yds - Replaced by RB Andrew Van Buren for Air Force game

STARTING S - J. L. Skinner - True Soph. - Like Bachmeier he did not make the trip to play Air Force on Saturday for reasons unknown - Replaced by CB Avery Williams for Air Force game

STARTING NT - Scale Igiehon - True JR - Injured in the first quarter of the game vs. Air Force - Replaced by NT Keeghan Freeborn for Air Force game

STARTING DE - Demitri Washington - RS Soph. - Injured in first quarter of the game vs. Air Force.  Replaced by DE Shane Irwin for Air Force game

STARTING S - Tyreque Jones - RS JR - He was the starter for the Utah State game but was injured in that game.  He was replaced by NB Kekaula Kaniho for Air Force.  However Jones did play briefly during the Air Force game (but did not start).

Tomorrow's press conference with Harsin will let us know if any are season ending - and that is probably it.  Apparently one player tested positive for Covid and didn't travel (Skinner or Bachmeier).  In post-game interviews, Avery Williams said he knew on Tuesday that  he'd be replacing Skinner at Safety.  The depth chart came out with only one change (removing OR at RT).  Every other position is the same as the start of the season. 

Boise has a lot of talent in the secondary and can move guys around there - so not too worried about that position.  DE is the big questionmark with Demitri Washington looking like he's done.  Nobody else has his size at the position.  Juco transfer Shane Irwin has looked good there, but I'm not sure anyone else has seen the field at the spot this year.  Behind him it's guys who are 30 pounds lighter than Demitri, probably moved over from the STUD position.  Hopefully that helps with some quickness to get to the quarterback.

Just now, Jack Bauer said:

Losing to BYU kept you out of the NY6

In hindsight, yeah.  I just don't remember being devastated last year like the times we lost when there was much more hype.  Part of it was probably how weird the game was last year (3rd string QBs for both teams, snow/freezing rain/wind). 

4 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

In hindsight, yeah.  I just don't remember being devastated last year like the times we lost when there was much more hype.  Part of it was probably how weird the game was last year (3rd string QBs for both teams, snow/freezing rain/wind). 

I remember we came out and played hard and I was surprised we won. You guys had a good team last year. You were hovering around 15 but dropped to the 20s due to losing to BYU and Washington. BYU was jekyll and hyde last year. We would beat some good teams and then lose to crummy ones. 

Guess we'll see how it plays out. There will be a lot of disappointed BYU fans if we lose. 

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

With no Hank and no Cord, I think BYU will blitz all day with some dirty late QB hits - hoping they will get to see Elder Fennegan play.  I don't know much about Fennegan (supposedly a 4.5 forty guy) - but he must not have loved Argentinian food very much on his mission.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

With no Hank and no Cord, I think BYU will blitz all day with some dirty late QB hits - hoping they will get to see Elder Fennegan play.  I don't know much about Fennegan (supposedly a 4.5 forty guy) - but he must not have loved Argentinian food very much on his mission.

Not just dirty QB hits, because BYU has such a history of injuring opposing QB's, but expect tons and tons of nut punches as well. I feel bad for the Cougars with how sore their knuckles will be after Friday's game.

CVEcMlXUEAAtMZW.png

2 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

Losing to BYU kept you out of the NY6

Which is saying a mouthful.  Never thought the Broncos were that good last year especially after the BYU loss.  The whole QB thing last year and your best RB a true Fr was wierd.  Harsin handled it well IMO and they got rolling somehow.   It's what made me confident coming into this year then Covid hit....

49 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Which is saying a mouthful.  Never thought the Broncos were that good last year especially after the BYU loss.  The whole QB thing last year and your best RB a true Fr was wierd.  Harsin handled it well IMO and they got rolling somehow.   It's what made me confident coming into this year then Covid hit....

That's just kind of how you guys have rolled over the years with QB. You seem to start a young guy for several years most of the time. 

It has overall worked out well for you guys.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

That's just kind of how you guys have rolled over the years with QB. You seem to start a young guy for several years most of the time. 

It has overall worked out well for you guys.

I think he's talking about how it was just weird that Hank started 6 games, Cord 3, then he got injured and Henderson won the starting job and started 4.  It seemed like Hank was in the doghouse for some reason and not starting while seemingly healthy and fully dressed to play late in the season.  Then when Henderson won over the fans late in the season and played really well, they gave Hank the starting job for the bowl game. 

This is just me speaking as a fan, but the way that the Boise State personnel and Coach Harsin have been guarded about when Sears learned he would be starter tells me that Bachmeir tested positive for Covid-19. They don't want to let anyone know when the test came back positive because then BYU would know which quarterback they'd be seeing, based on the timeline between the positive test.

Someone reported that Sears was notified on Tuesday that he'd be starting, and he just ignored that question, and Harsin didn't address it. If Bachmeier learned on Tuesday that he was positive that would give Bachmeier 10 days between the positive test and the BYU game, which depending on protocols Boise is looking at, would weigh heavily on whether he can start.

All things considered, I feel confident with Sears going against BYU. He has the poise of a four-year starter, and his pocket presence seems to be better than Bachmeier.

On 11/1/2020 at 7:55 PM, Jack Bauer said:

Sears more of a threat to run right?

It's nice to have two guys, but someone always does leave when you do.

Not only that, throws a better deep ball, makes quicker decisions in the pocket, and seems to read defenses better. He’s actually the highest ranked quarterback recruit to ever play for Boise State. It just seems that for some reason very few people realize that.

3 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

I haven’t seen one post here diss him. It’s just that Hank and Sears are clearly the better quarterbacks.

I just want to see Chase Cord get a fair shot. I realize he's still recovering from injuries. 

2 hours ago, Bronco22 said:

I just want to see Chase Cord get a fair shot. I realize he's still recovering from injuries. 

Cord is decent but clearly the third best qb on the roster. Good character guy, happy to have him on the team.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

I think BYU will win this one, but I hope they don't.