Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

Yards per play Defense

2 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I'll give the nod to SJSU on that one.  Not to take anything away from Boise or SDSU, but neither one of them was playing AFA.

Yeah, that was impressive. The Air Force game is my least favorite every year. 

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Impressive first game that was not as close as the score indicated.

I feel that USU may end up not being very good this year, but hopefully that isn't the case and Boise just looked that good. The only big takeaway I have for that game is that the baggies did return a good OL and RBs against a new DL for Boise. They definitely played very well against them. I'm inconclusive as to the OL play, as USU's front 7 lost a bunch of players.

25 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I feel that USU may end up not being very good this year, but hopefully that isn't the case and Boise just looked that good. The only big takeaway I have for that game is that the baggies did return a good OL and RBs against a new DL for Boise. They definitely played very well against them. I'm inconclusive as to the OL play, as USU's front 7 lost a bunch of players.

I'm not saying that Boise won't roll the conference this year, or that they will, I'm just saying their last game was meaningless.  USU has an unbelievable amount of work to do to field a D-line, or for that matter, much of an O-line.  I don't think it's talent, I think it's a learning curve.  Montana State would've rolled USU that night.  We'll have a better feel for both teams after this weekend.

Boise may be that good.  USU may have just needed some live action under their belt.  Damn I wish we all got 12 games.

15 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I'm not saying that Boise won't roll the conference this year, or that they will, I'm just saying their last game was meaningless.  USU has an unbelievable amount of work to do to field a D-line, or for that matter, much of an O-line.  I don't think it's talent, I think it's a learning curve.  Montana State would've rolled USU that night.  We'll have a better feel for both teams after this weekend.

Boise may be that good.  USU may have just needed some live action under their belt.  Damn I wish we all got 12 games.

Their team strength was supposed to be the O-line

Utah State's strength on the offensive side of the ball in 2020 may very well be along its offensive line as the Aggies return three of their five starters from last season, to go along with four more letterwinners and eight more players who were on the roster a season ago, including four redshirts.

https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2020/10/14/utah-state-football-fall-camp-position-preview-offensive-line.aspx

12 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Their team strength was supposed to be the O-line

Utah State's strength on the offensive side of the ball in 2020 may very well be along its offensive line as the Aggies return three of their five starters from last season, to go along with four more letterwinners and eight more players who were on the roster a season ago, including four redshirts.

https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2020/10/14/utah-state-football-fall-camp-position-preview-offensive-line.aspx

I see one Junior, two Sophomores, and 9 Freshman.  In theory that same line is starting the 2022 season and have 4 of 5 back for 2023.  I hope your right that’s the strength of the team.  

17 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I wasn't really high on USU coming into the season and am less so after. They definitely looked like they might be one of the worst teams in the conference. So I'm not taking a ton from that game... however...

... Boise (like every team) had some question marks coming into the season. USU returned all 5 OL from what was a pretty good OL going against a DL that had zero returners. I felt that the Boise DL was going to be good with what they did have coming back, and after that dominating performance, I feel better after. The other question mark was the OL. I'm not taking much from that game, because USU lost a lot in the front 7. But this being the 4th season of this OL coach, the OL has started very slow in the other three years. That was one of the better early performances they've had under him. So while inconclusive, there is a little reason for cautious optimism. One more positive note from the game. Under Harsin, Boise has usually had a poor TD conversion rate in the red zone. They are typically in the lower half of the league despite having one of best, if not the best, offenses in the league year in year out. Going 5 for 5 in the red zone is a positive step. New OC Keys looked creative in his play calling. Hopefully that continues. Under Hill they had a tendency to get predictable. 

Overall, we don't know a lot more about this Boise team... but I feel better about them after the game than I did prior to

I mean, the question for us is if that is real or if that is an anomaly. We'll see if our run defense has actually improved after playing SDSU.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

37 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I mean, the question for us is if that is real or if that is an anomaly. We'll see if our run defense has actually improved after playing SDSU.

It was a good showing, for sure. But Air Force did lose their star QB in the offseason, both returning OL and starting RB to covid protocols. That left them with exactly zero returning starters on Offense from last years top-25 team. SJSU's D does look much better than years past, but that game may not end up being the barometer to properly reflect that.