Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SparkysDad

BYU or Cincinnatti?

7 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I heard on a pay board that they have 6 cases, and contact tracing may be a problem, but as of now there's no word on anything. Contact tracing can take a couple weeks, so it could affect the BYU game.

I would be surprised if this is true. But we will see. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

4 hours ago, RSF said:

The 'Access Bowl' and the CFP are separate things.  There are NO restrictions to being in the CFP other than being in the Top 4 of the rankings.  Theoretically, both BYU AND Cincinnati could 'represent the non-P5' in the CFP.  The Access Bowl is merely a set aside slot in NY6 for the top ranked G5 conference champ, which BYU is not eligible for.  But they (BYU) could also 'represent the non-P5' in the NY6 as an at-large choice.

The Access Bowl is part of the CFP as that’s where the payout comes from. The G5 rep in the CFP plays in the Access Bowl. These are simple facts.

as for BYU breaking into the CFP… I’ll believe it when I see it

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Just now, UofMTigers said:

The Access Bowl is part of the CFP as that’s where the payout comes from. The G5 rep in the CFP plays in the Access Bowl. These are simple facts.

Wrong on all counts.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, RSF said:

Wrong on all counts.

Ok then...Here let me post a comprehensive list of G5 teams in the CFP

mem skyline sig.jpeg

The G5's highest ranked Champion gets an autobid into a NY6 bowl game. Every year a different number of at-large teams also make the NY6. The number changes year to year depending on what bowl-tie ins there are for the NY6 that season.

The top 4 teams, regardless of conference affiliation, are put into the playoff. From there they fill in the auto-bids and then they add the highest ranked teams available as 'at-larges'. 

If either BYU or Cincinnati (or anyone else) finish in the top 4 they will be in the playoffs. If not, Cincinnati in this case would get an auto-bid into the NY6 for being the highest ranked G5 champion. BYU would be competing with every other team for the at-large bids. Those are given out solely based on rankings.

Hope this helps UofMTigers.

3 hours ago, madmartigan said:

LSU did this accidentally, but I guess most of their team got infected in camp. Now they all have antibodies. As a medical professional, would herd immunity be a bad thing to try for a football team? 

Word on the street is that Clemson and several SEC teams had players' get infected intentionally (not sanctioned by the school but an idea from some players) early so that they wouldn't have to miss any actual games with 'Rona during the season.

2 hours ago, MWCfq said:

The G5's highest ranked Champion gets an autobid into a NY6 bowl game. Every year a different number of at-large teams also make the NY6. The number changes year to year depending on what bowl-tie ins there are for the NY6 that season.

The top 4 teams, regardless of conference affiliation, are put into the playoff. From there they fill in the auto-bids and then they add the highest ranked teams available as 'at-larges'. 

If either BYU or Cincinnati (or anyone else) finish in the top 4 they will be in the playoffs. If not, Cincinnati in this case would get an auto-bid into the NY6 for being the highest ranked G5 champion. BYU would be competing with every other team for the at-large bids. Those are given out solely based on rankings.

Hope this helps UofMTigers.

And a committee decides who is worthy of the top 4.  It may be regardless of conference affiliation, but for all intents and purposes G5 schools are locked out.  UCF won 20+ games in a row and didn't get in.  They aren't going to take an undefeated AAC, MWC, CUSA, or Sun Belt team over a one loss SEC, BiG, or ACC top ranked team.  Until the playoffs are expanded to 8,  the top G5 school in any given year is playing for the next biggest bowl game and looking in at the playoffs.  That is still a lot of dollar bills, but obviously doesn't sit well with non P5 schools at the top of the G5 mountain.