Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigd

Nevada vs UNLV game/smack thread

1 hour ago, Mad_Hatter said:

So after Nevada wins can we make this the idiot button for a week? 

Logo_NC.0.jpg

Possibly 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/unlvs-marcus-arroyo-inherent-danger-in-hanging-everything-on-rivalry-game

Arroyo's comments seem pretty weak. Like he's already making excuses for a loss:

"Here's the reality of it," Arroyo said. "It's a really important game because the community and city and program, regardless of where you are in the county, there's a lot of pride in that game. But there's an inherent danger in hanging everything on it. That's where I think you have to be careful of. I would probably make that mistake as a younger coach. As an older coach, you have to make sure you don't want to downplay game, but you don't want to hang the season on it, either. One victory in one season over your rival shouldn't make it feel like that's a successful season. Should you feel like that's something prideful that you pitted yourself against someone you feel is a rival and people have a lot of pride in taking that? For sure."

"It's an important game because it's our next game," Arroyo said. "It's an important game because yes it is a rivalry game and there is some pride to be taken within the state, and that's good. That makes it fun. That's what makes college football college football, but you have to make sure you don't make it feel like it's all or nothing. That's what you can't do. You can't do that in any game. You can't go win any game and celebrate through the roof. The highs and the lows you have to take together and be somewhere in the middle."

As much as I disliked Sanchez, I'll give him credit that he had our number. It sounds like Arroyo may have a more laid back approach towards the rivalry.

50 minutes ago, bigd said:

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/unlvs-marcus-arroyo-inherent-danger-in-hanging-everything-on-rivalry-game

Arroyo's comments seem pretty weak. Like he's already making excuses for a loss:

As much as I disliked Sanchez, I'll give him credit that he had our number. It sounds like Arroyo may have a more laid back approach towards the rivalry.

Sanchez, for all his other coaching faults, embraced the rivalry.  It was fun to cheer against him. If this is the stance arroyo is going to take I’m unimpressed. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, bigd said:

Yeah, I don't like the quotes either.  You embrace the rivalry whether your team is good or not.  You make it a priority game of the season.  Especially as a first year coach.  He talks that he is an older coach.  WTF?  This is the dude's first season as a HC, and he is relatively young as a coach.  Sounds like he is setting up his team and fans for a potential loss.  I don't like it.  Not one bit.  Still, FUNR and go Rebels!!!

1 hour ago, akbballfan said:

It is UNR not Nevada.  Confidence is low this year but if we can beat any team its probably UNR

568941818_UNRSUX.jpg

Tired Good Night GIF by MLB

3 hours ago, Fowl said:

Are the guys who got suspended after the brawl last year able to play in this game?  I thought several were suspended for the first few games? 

One guy is back, and the other will be back in the second half. 

I think.