Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slappy

Again AAC Out does the MW.

It looks to me from results so far that the AAC is pretty deep with slightly above average G5 teams this year with a couple borderline dumpster fires thrown in.

Cincy might be really good, but it is hard to tell because there is a decent possibility they will have not played a single team within the top-40 of the final S&P+ rankings this year. 

Bottom line is that the AAC is down in a bunch of metrics this year compared to last year, despite not having UConn dragging them down.

14 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

That’s really not how it works but either way it doesn’t really matter.  I hate them but Tulsa is a quality team this year.  The depth in the aac is strong.  It’s the third deepest league.

Nah. Cincy is really good. The rest are middling or poor. Tulsa isn't anything special

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

22 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Tulsa is more talented than usual.  Depends on what your definition of special is I guess.  They’d be very strong in the Mwc or sunbelt.

Some folks think they will finish in the top three in your league.

"Very strong" indeed.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 10/29/2020 at 5:16 AM, justsurvive said:

Like many folks here, I've never been a fan of Craig Thompson.  However, I don't think having a different commissioner would have made any difference right now.  We need to face the fact that, with maybe the exception of Boise, the teams in the MW haven't been winning enough games in order to get the media's attention at the capacity that the AAC has, including teams that have won the MW crown.

Example #1: SDSU won the MW crown in 2015 and 2016.  However, in each of those seasons, they acquired 3 losses, and 1 of those losses in each of those specific seasons was at the hands of South Alabama of the Sun Belt conference:

http://www.winsipedia.com/san-diego-state/vs/south-alabama

Such losses most certainly are going to make the MW look bad.  On top of their loss to South Alabama, they acquired the the West Division in '16 with 2 games to spare, but then lost their last 2 games prior to the title game.  This includes a loss at home where the Aztecs blatantly allowed Colorado State to rack up 63 points.  That loss prevented them from hosting the MW title game, where they had to go to Wyoming in order to win the MW crown.

The Aztecs acquired wins against Boise in '13 and '18, but later on in each of those seasons, they would lose to UNLV, knocking them out of the conference title game.  They currently have losing streaks against the likes of Nevada and Hawaii.  This provides the impression that their performance level basically matches the level of the profile of their opponent.  Such inconsistency is also going to make the MW look bad.

Example #2: Fresno State may have some wins against Boise and have won as many conference crowns as SDSU has, but as much as they have won since joining the MW in 2012, they have also lost as much as well.  If you look at the decade of 2010-2019, the Bulldogs acquired 5 winning seasons and 5 losing seasons, including going 4-8 just last year.  Such inconsistency is also going to make a bad impression on the MW, since the Bulldogs are supposed to be one of the top teams in the conference.  If one of the top teams is that inconsistent, then the perception of the MW is going to take a massive hit.

The rest of the MW teams have, for the most part, provided records that are mediocre at best.  Having a different commissioner providing better marketing for the conference would not have changed that.

We can blame Thompson all we want, but it's up to the teams to get the job done, and they are not doing that.

Good points. The main problem is you have two programs in this conference that want to be elite in football. It’s not enough. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

7 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

Nah. Cincy is really good. The rest are middling or poor. Tulsa isn't anything special

Memphis' best players opted out Gainwell, Coxie, Tim Hart, etc

mem skyline sig.jpeg

11 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

I get it. I think Cincy probably goes to the Access Bowl and the rest of the top teams will have 2 to 4 losses in a 9 game season.

Memphis is doing a 9+1 FCS

hopefully we can do to USF what Cincy did to us to build back some confidence.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

51 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Memphis is doing a 9+1 FCS

hopefully we can do to USF what Cincy did to us to build back some confidence.

That was just one of those games where it got out of hand and they rode the wave. When you guys kept going for it and couldn't convert on your first few 2nd half possessions, and then they went for TDs the other way, you knew it wasn't going to be your day. They have an elite defense, so once they get a lead, then they just come after your QB the rest of the game.

You guys still have a good team, could easily see you finishing 2nd in the league and getting another shot at them. You should be able to run the table until you see Houston at the end of the year. Houston is probably a .500 team and you get them at home, so I think you finish our with 2 losses. Plus, you have a tiebreaker on UCF this year.

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

That was just one of those games where it got out of hand and they rode the wave. When you guys kept going for it and couldn't convert on your first few 2nd half possessions, and then they went for TDs the other way, you knew it wasn't going to be your day. They have an elite defense, so once they get a lead, then they just come after your QB the rest of the game.

You guys still have a good team, could easily see you finishing 2nd in the league and getting another shot at them. You should be able to run the table until you see Houston at the end of the year. Houston is probably a .500 team and you get them at home, so I think you finish our with 2 losses. Plus, you have a tiebreaker on UCF this year.

gotta say though, I'm not impressed with Mike Macintyre at all...I'd like to see former USM head coach Jay Hopson come back to Memphis as DC.

mem skyline sig.jpeg