Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slappy

Again AAC Out does the MW.

7 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

no, it's not that we have a 'great' PR staff...it's that you're stuck with Craig Thompson.

Aresco is a smart carnival barker with good ESPN connections

Aresco is better than Thompson, but he goes too far sometimes and makes himself look like a goofball. So he has issues, just not as bad as CT’s. 

kat.jpg

8 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

I don't totally disagree...however it is what it is in the minds of the people that make those decisions.

Somebody has to stand up for the MWC. If not Craig Thompson, then the fans of MWC teams who know the truth. 

The AAC has some attributes that are difficult if not impossible for the MWC to overcome.

Time zone
Locations make travel easier for most P5 schools
Every AAC school is in a great recruiting location
UC, UCF, UH, USF, and Temple have big enrollments which provide money
All except Tulsa are in large cities which provide money
UC, UH, USF, SMU, Temple, and Tulane have some cred having been in power conferences
All except Navy and Tulsa have committed to spend more
Generally attendance and TV viewership is higher for AAC schools

That's a lot of big hills for MWC schools to climb. You are doing well.

1 hour ago, since1670 said:

The AAC has some attributes that are difficult if not impossible for the MWC to overcome.

Time zone
Locations make travel easier for most P5 schools
Every AAC school is in a great recruiting location
UC, UCF, UH, USF, and Temple have big enrollments which provide money
All except Tulsa are in large cities which provide money
UC, UH, USF, SMU, Temple, and Tulane have some cred having been in power conferences
All except Navy and Tulsa have committed to spend more
Generally attendance and TV viewership is higher for AAC schools

That's a lot of big hills for MWC schools to climb. You are doing well.

Being in a big city is not always a plus - Tuscaloosa, AL is not exactly a big city at 100K and there are many schools that are in smaller cities in the A5 conferences. That being said, being in southern latitudes makes the attendance better later in the season, but in 20 years that may shift to the northern latitudes for the early season games.

Like many folks here, I've never been a fan of Craig Thompson.  However, I don't think having a different commissioner would have made any difference right now.  We need to face the fact that, with maybe the exception of Boise, the teams in the MW haven't been winning enough games in order to get the media's attention at the capacity that the AAC has, including teams that have won the MW crown.

Example #1: SDSU won the MW crown in 2015 and 2016.  However, in each of those seasons, they acquired 3 losses, and 1 of those losses in each of those specific seasons was at the hands of South Alabama of the Sun Belt conference:

http://www.winsipedia.com/san-diego-state/vs/south-alabama

Such losses most certainly are going to make the MW look bad.  On top of their loss to South Alabama, they acquired the the West Division in '16 with 2 games to spare, but then lost their last 2 games prior to the title game.  This includes a loss at home where the Aztecs blatantly allowed Colorado State to rack up 63 points.  That loss prevented them from hosting the MW title game, where they had to go to Wyoming in order to win the MW crown.

The Aztecs acquired wins against Boise in '13 and '18, but later on in each of those seasons, they would lose to UNLV, knocking them out of the conference title game.  They currently have losing streaks against the likes of Nevada and Hawaii.  This provides the impression that their performance level basically matches the level of the profile of their opponent.  Such inconsistency is also going to make the MW look bad.

Example #2: Fresno State may have some wins against Boise and have won as many conference crowns as SDSU has, but as much as they have won since joining the MW in 2012, they have also lost as much as well.  If you look at the decade of 2010-2019, the Bulldogs acquired 5 winning seasons and 5 losing seasons, including going 4-8 just last year.  Such inconsistency is also going to make a bad impression on the MW, since the Bulldogs are supposed to be one of the top teams in the conference.  If one of the top teams is that inconsistent, then the perception of the MW is going to take a massive hit.

The rest of the MW teams have, for the most part, provided records that are mediocre at best.  Having a different commissioner providing better marketing for the conference would not have changed that.

We can blame Thompson all we want, but it's up to the teams to get the job done, and they are not doing that.

On 10/26/2020 at 4:51 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

It’s way too early to worry about bowl games.

This is the type of thinking that puts you behind.  MW should always be thinking about their champ in the big bowl.  It all starts with week 1.   Catch up. 

The sad truth:unsure:  I'd probably a few midwest states like Ohio, Iowa, and Nebraska.

Craig Thompson has failed by not focusing and promoting basketball heavier and going all in for Gonzaga membership.  

BDB702AE-AA46-4320-830B-4F6F14557A41.jpeg

12 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Yeah you could even take Missouri off that map.  They don’t belong.  

But- Mizzou is in the SEC even if they are struggling with the transition.  They have a decent overall record along with a traditional fanbase both of which any MWC school woud love to have.

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

Not sure if I'd say they struggled. They haven't been great the last few years but they were one of the best teams in the league their first few years. If anything they have struggled with the coaching change.

Fair enough.  I had to look up Mizzou’s record since SEC membership and you’re point is valid.  

On 10/26/2020 at 12:28 PM, #1Stunner said:

Cincy will be challenged against UCF, Memphis, Houston, and Tulsa.

And Tulsa could end up being the best team in the AAC this season.  

If Tulsa is potentially the best team in the AAC, the AAC is even more overrated than normal this year. When what looks like a middling MWC in AFA blows out a middling AAC in Navy, then proceeds to lose to SJSU, I don't have a lot  of belief that the AAC is anything other than an average G5 conference this year, especially after watching ECU dominate Tulsa so far tonight. Simply based off results, a argument can be made the Sun Belt is > the AAC this year.

3 hours ago, KingBronco said:

If Tulsa is potentially the best team in the AAC, the AAC is even more overrated than normal this year. When what looks like a middling MWC in AFA blows out a middling AAC in Navy, then proceeds to lose to SJSU, I don't have a lot  of belief that the AAC is anything other than an average G5 conference this year, especially after watching ECU dominate Tulsa so far tonight. Simply based off results, a argument can be made the Sun Belt is > the AAC this year.

That’s really not how it works but either way it doesn’t really matter.  I hate them but Tulsa is a quality team this year.  The depth in the aac is strong.  It’s the third deepest league.

9 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

That’s really not how it works but either way it doesn’t really matter.  I hate them but Tulsa is a quality team this year.  The depth in the aac is strong.  It’s the third deepest league.

No, it's not.

38 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

No, it's not.

Yeah it is.  

Btw UCF is F’d.  Their defense is already the worst ever this season but they had to to suspend their best ‘leaders’ on D due to getting pulled over on campus with a gun in the car.  Idiots.  We’re going to lose to Houston even though they aren’t good.

1 minute ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Yeah it is.  

Btw UCF is F’d.  Their defense is already the worst ever this season but they had to to suspend their best ‘leaders’ on D due to getting pulled over on campus with a gun in the car.  Idiots.  We’re going to lose to Houston even though they aren’t good.

Dude, no it really is not.  The idea you think you are deeping than the Big 12, the ACC and Pac 12 is about as idiotic as you thinking UCF had a better defense last year than Utah, Oregon and Washington.

10 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Dude, no it really is not.  The idea you think you are deeping than the Big 12, the ACC and Pac 12 is about as idiotic as you thinking UCF had a better defense last year than Utah, Oregon and Washington.

I’ll give you the pac might be deeper this season (don’t know yet), but it hasn’t been the last two years and they’d have to improve by two measures to pass the aac since the aac itself is deeper than last year.  Lol at acc and big12.  It’s really not worth equivocating that with you.  By no surprise you misread my defense comment about last year.  UCF led the country in turnovers and defensive points scored last year, I’d take that over the slow low energy play of the pac any day.  You still don’t understand pace. This year is a different story as it relates to ‘defense’, if that’s what you can call this abomination.

3 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I’ll give you the pac might be deeper this season (don’t know yet), but it hasn’t been the last two years and they’d have to improve by two measures to pass the aac since the aac itself is deeper than last year.  Lol at acc and big12.  It’s really not worth equivocating that with you.  By no surprise you misread my defense comment about last year.  UCF led the country in turnovers and defensive points scored last year, I’d take that over the slow low energy play of the pac any day.  You still don’t understand pace. This year is a different story as it relates to ‘defense’, if that’s what you can call this abomination.

No, you clearly said there is nothing defensive about the Pac, despite them having three teams in the top 15 for scoring defense and said you would take UCF's defense over any of them.

The fact you think the AAC was deeper than the Pac the last two years is just one more tally in the stupid shit you post.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

No, you clearly said there is nothing defensive about the Pac, despite them having three teams in the top 15 for scoring defense and said you would take UCF's defense over any of them.

The fact you think the AAC was deeper than the Pac the last two years is just one more tally in the stupid shit you post.

Well yeah, there’s nothing defensive about the pac of previous seasons, correct.  It’s too early to apply that to this season though.  Good luck on your game today.