Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronco7454

Mtn. West QB Pass Efficiency Ratings after week one

Hank Bachmeier - Sophomore - Boise State - 187.19

Carson Strong - Sophomore - Nevada - 168.23

Nick Starkel - Grad Student - San Jose State - 157.19

Chevan Cordero - RS Sophomore - Hawaii - 126.57

Jake Haener - Junior - Fresno State - 124.44

Max Gilliam - Senior - U.N.L.V. - 119.62

Levi Williams - RS Freshman - Wyoming - 117.32

Carson Baker - Sophomore - San Diego State - 107.23

Haaziq Daniels - Sophomore - Air Force - 105.66

Jason Shelley - Junior - Utah State - 80.47

19 minutes ago, Bronco7454 said:

Hank Bachmeier - Sophomore - Boise State - 187.19

Carson Strong - Sophomore - Nevada - 168.23

Nick Starkel - Grad Student - San Jose State - 157.19

Chevan Cordero - RS Sophomore - Hawaii - 126.57

Jake Haener - Junior - Fresno State - 124.44

Max Gilliam - Senior - U.N.L.V. - 119.62

Levi Williams - RS Freshman - Wyoming - 117.32

Carson Baker - Sophomore - San Diego State - 107.23

Haaziq Daniels - Sophomore - Air Force - 105.66

Jason Shelley - Junior - Utah State - 80.47

Patrick O'Brien - Senior - CSU:  ZERO INTs & Incompletions

Does Nevada play at CSU-San Diego this-yr?:

Carson -vs- Carson, in Carson

8 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Strong had a ton of attempts and Hank was more efficient with far fewer.    Completion %,  TD's per attempt, Ints per attempt are key drivers. Neither had an interception. Strong had 420 yards passing with 4 TD's to Hank's 268 and 3 TD's. The only metric that Hank was better in was yards per attempt (9.6 to Strong's 8.1), which is really a product of the style of offense with a lot of WR bubble screens and short passing plays. 

Strong was 39 of 52 (75% completion) while Hank was 20 of 28 (71%). Strong threw for 420 yards with 4 TD's while Hank threw for 268 yards and 3 TD's. Ave yards/TD's per completion is really the only metric that Hank was better at and that's a product of the type of offense Nevada runs with so many short passes, especially at the beginning of the game. 

1 minute ago, GoState99755 said:

No they play in Reno. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

I always though Carson Strong was a great name to put on a ribbon. Like Carson City was preserving through something.  

24 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Strong was 39 of 52 (75% completion) while Hank was 20 of 28 (71%). Strong threw for 420 yards with 4 TD's while Hank threw for 268 yards and 3 TD's. Ave yards/TD's per completion is really the only metric that Hank was better at and that's a product of the type of offense Nevada runs with so many short passes, especially at the beginning of the game. 

And Strong did it against the prized NFL farm team, too.

12 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

And Strong did it against the prized NFL farm team, too.

And after having his eyes dilated before the game and wearing those crazy glasses. And with no shoes. He did okay though.  

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I'd give him MWC player of the week.

Probably should just give him all of them now. It's best that way. 

41 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

It's an efficiency metric and not a cumulative stats metric...that's why Bachmeier was rated higher after week 1. If you were to extrapolate Bachmeier's stats on 52 attempts he would have had 6 TD's and 500 yards passing (at least mathematically).

Not saying Strong was less impressive than Bachmeier yesterday, but yards and TD's per attempt are big drivers with how the passing efficiency stat is calculated.

5 minutes ago, KingBronco said:

It's an efficiency metric and not a cumulative stats metric...that's why Bachmeier was rated higher after week 1. If you were to extrapolate Bachmeier's stats on 52 attempts he would have had 6 TD's and 500 yards passing (at least mathematically).

Not saying Strong was less impressive than Bachmeier yesterday, but yards and TD's per attempt are big drivers with how the passing efficiency stat is calculated.

This conversation always reminds me of the SDSU fans that would argue they had the best QB's in the league because they had great efficiency on 9 passing attempts a game.

1 minute ago, KingBronco said:

I understand that it's an efficiency metric...I was pointing out that his completion percentage with a sample size of 2x. his percentage completion was higher. I'm not sure I buy that math. At a 71.4% completion percentage, if he threw 52 passes, he would complete 37.1 of those. If we assume his average of 9.1 yards per attempt, that's 338 yards. Typically, the more passes you throw, the smaller your completion percentage is. At one point, before two drops and two passes out of bounds to avoid a sack before the half, Strong was completing 92% for 253 yards and two TD's, but I know that doesn't project out to the 522 yards that the math (without using statistical math) says it would. Either way, I was mostly posting the stats because KingPotato was posting in the Wyo-Nevada thread about how Carson was "statistically terrible". :D They both had good games though. I suspect the yards, completion percentage and extra TD would give Strong the nod for MWC offensive player of the week though. 

3 hours ago, roughrider said:

Strong had a ton of attempts and Hank was more efficient with far fewer.    Completion %,  TD's per attempt, Ints per attempt are key drivers.

Yards per attempt is a big one too. Hillybilly  at almost 10 ypa and Strong around 8 ypa. It's efficiency. Basically, if Hillbilly had thrown it as many times as Strong (52), he was have ended up with 500 yards and 5.6 TDs at the rate he was throwing. Carson would have had 226 yards and 2 TDs at his efficiency if he'd only thrown it 28 times.

It's actually not very difficult to figure out how they come up with efficiency.

1 hour ago, Slapdad said:

I understand that it's an efficiency metric...I was pointing out that his completion percentage with a sample size of 2x. his percentage completion was higher. I'm not sure I buy that math. At a 71.4% completion percentage, if he threw 52 passes, he would complete 37.1 of those. If we assume his average of 9.1 yards per attempt, that's 338 yards. Typically, the more passes you throw, the smaller your completion percentage is. At one point, before two drops and two passes out of bounds to avoid a sack before the half, Strong was completing 92% for 253 yards and two TD's, but I know that doesn't project out to the 522 yards that the math (without using statistical math) says it would. Either way, I was mostly posting the stats because KingPotato was posting in the Wyo-Nevada thread about how Carson was "statistically terrible". :D They both had good games though. I suspect the yards, completion percentage and extra TD would give Strong the nod for MWC offensive player of the week though. 

Completion % has very little to do with it. It's yards per attempt. That's why Air Force QBs often have a high efficiency despite having a low completion %. When they do hit, they go for big yards. And, BTW, Strong had a 8.1 ypa, not 9.1. All that other stuff you said was complete gibberish that has nothing to do with anything.

And I wasn't wrong about last year. He had a 6.2 ypa (poor), 11 TD to 7 ints (meh), and a 121.78 pass eff (poor). That's not good. Boise fans wanted to string up Southwick and he had a poor 141 pass eff. That's really low for a Boise QB... but a full 20 points higher than Strong last year.

Carson was more efficient than he was last year... but I might hold off on the chest beating just yet. He just played a team that returned almost no one from last year on the defensive side of the ball, and that is both players and coaches. Something that a guy who licks my nuts in threads, would notice me saying in that same thread. I pointed out multiple times how much wyofans were downplaying how much they lost on defense... much to their chagrin. I'm just pointing out facts... I can't control how much it's going to hurt all of your thin-skinned lil feelers

6 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

This conversation always reminds me of the SDSU fans that would argue they had the best QB's in the league because they had great efficiency on 9 passing attempts a game.

Argument?  Heck anybody with eyes knew that Cristian Chapman was the best QB in the MWC.

8 hours ago, Sputnik46 said:

I’ve never understood how these ratings are calculated.  I was surprised to see Bachmeier higher than Strong.

f76752bfc8fef94b26b729883eb6d232faa2213f

where

ATT = Number of passing attempts
COMP = Number of completions
YDS = Passing yards
TD = Touchdown passes
INT = Interceptions

7 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Completion % has very little to do with it. It's yards per attempt. That's why Air Force QBs often have a high efficiency despite having a low completion %. When they do hit, they go for big yards. And, BTW, Strong had a 8.1 ypa, not 9.1. All that other stuff you said was complete gibberish that has nothing to do with anything.

And I wasn't wrong about last year. He had a 6.2 ypa (poor), 11 TD to 7 ints (meh), and a 121.78 pass eff (poor). That's not good. Boise fans wanted to string up Southwick and he had a poor 141 pass eff. That's really low for a Boise QB... but a full 20 points higher than Strong last year.

Carson was more efficient than he was last year... but I might hold off on the chest beating just yet. He just played a team that returned almost no one from last year on the defensive side of the ball, and that is both players and coaches. Something that a guy who licks my nuts in threads, would notice me saying in that same thread. I pointed out multiple times how much wyofans were downplaying how much they lost on defense... much to their chagrin. I'm just pointing out facts... I can't control how much it's going to hurt all of your thin-skinned lil feelers

Licks your nuts? Thin skinned? Oh stop it. You brought up statistics, did you not? Did I ever say Strong's stats from last year were great? Nope. But if you're going to bring up stats from last year, it isn't unthinkable to talk about his stats after the first game of the year, so just simmer down.