Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Make Lying Wrong Again

14 hours ago, sactowndog said:

So here is an article that restores some faith in Christianity and Christians.  I know most have you have voted but this captures a fair chunk of my thoughts. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/24/opinions/trump-lies-evangelicals-avlon/index.html

Your faith is being restored because they're voting for the candidate you're voting for. There is no question that Trump's proficiency at lying is unmatched, but let's not pretend that Biden has not or does not lie. A lot of Christians will still vote for Trump based on the abortion issue. 

1 minute ago, NorCalCoug said:

All you care about is that everyone votes for the candidate you want them to.  That’s what restoration of your faith is based upon.  This is an idiotic thread.  You should be embarrassed for starting it.

Copy cat! :D

I've been thinking lately about all of the behaviors we have been seeing in political leadership, not just lying.

I have concerns about the societal impacts for the future of the behaviors occurring. Lying, name-calling, etc. have all been observed by a new generation as "normal" behavior.

Some express concern about the impacts/influences of media and entertainment on the young, especially if it is modeling beliefs and behaviors they disagree with.

After Bill Clinton tried to redefine the definition of "sexual relations", studies found the same redefinition happening among teenagers. They followed what they saw modeled.

As a society in coming years we will see what we reap in behaviors from the words and actions of the last few years.

3 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

I've been thinking lately about all of the behaviors we have been seeing in political leadership, not just lying.

I have concerns about the societal impacts for the future of the behaviors occurring. Lying, name-calling, etc. have all been observed by a new generation as "normal" behavior.

Some express concern about the impacts/influences of media and entertainment on the young, especially if it is modeling beliefs and behaviors they disagree with.

After Bill Clinton tried to redefine the definition of "sexual relations", studies found the same redefinition happening among teenagers. They followed what they saw modeled.

As a society in coming years we will see what we reap in behaviors from the words and actions of the last few years.

The last few decades is more like it. 

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

True. But, it's been nuanced. I just turned 54 on Saturday. ....I've never seen two presidential candidates tell each other to shut up....nor have I ever seen the possibility of MUTING a candidates microphone brought up in debate protocol. The last few years has been a turning point in the civility of this country. It's gone down the shitter. 

5 hours ago, Slapdad said:

Your faith is being restored because they're voting for the candidate you're voting for. There is no question that Trump's proficiency at lying is unmatched, but let's not pretend that Biden has not or does not lie. A lot of Christians will still vote for Trump based on the abortion issue. 

No you have it backward.  It’s all about knowing some other Christians feel Trump is anathema to most of what we profess to believe.   

20 hours ago, sactowndog said:

So here is an article that restores some faith in Christianity and Christians.  I know most have you have voted but this captures a fair chunk of my thoughts. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/24/opinions/trump-lies-evangelicals-avlon/index.html

Has anyone told you that you're an idiot yet?

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

I guess we can blame Newt Gingrich. He looked at politics as power, not leadership. Back in 1978, Gingrich gave a speech to the College Republicans convention. He said:

"I think that one of the great problems we have in the Republican Party is that we don't encourage you to be nasty. We encourage you to be neat, obedient, and loyal and faithful and all those Boy Scout words, which would be great around the camp fire, but are lousy in politics."

57 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

No you have it backward.  It’s all about knowing some other Christians feel Trump is anathema to most of what we profess to believe.   

Just cast your vote for Biden and feel morally superior to everyone else because of your interpretation of Christianity and how people should act and vote according to it.  Your opinion here is purely partisan and not at all religious.

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 hour ago, FresnoFacts said:

I guess we can blame Newt Gingrich. He looked at politics as power, not leadership. Back in 1978, Gingrich gave a speech to the College Republicans convention. He said:

"I think that one of the great problems we have in the Republican Party is that we don't encourage you to be nasty. We encourage you to be neat, obedient, and loyal and faithful and all those Boy Scout words, which would be great around the camp fire, but are lousy in politics."

I’ve always felt that’s when it started. Gingrich in the House and Limbaugh in the background. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

2 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

Gingrich was right. The Democrat’s proved being nasty works. Obama got elected twice that way. 

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Unlike the OP I've decided that God hates liars , racists and authoritarians and will be casting a vote for the candidate who is the least of those things.  

Libertarian Presidential Candidate, Jo Jorgensen, drinking the Basil🤔.  Might have my vote : whiskey

Not sure that alcohol is old enough to be eligible, sorry.