Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronco7454

Earth compared to Jupiter

11 minutes ago, CV147 said:

And yet the sun is considered a "yellow dwarf" star.

Compared next to the largest stars it looks like Mars vs the sun in that picture.

Yeah the sun has a diameter a little over 100 times that of earth.  The largest Blue Giants have a diameter about 100 times larger than the sun.

They’re all a lot closer to each other than I previously though. Probably a fisheye lens or something. 

On 10/24/2020 at 2:01 PM, toonkee said:

RbNdo.gif

I came here for this 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 10/24/2020 at 1:13 PM, CV147 said:

And yet the sun is considered a "yellow dwarf" star.

Compared next to the largest stars it looks like Mars vs the sun in that picture.

Yep. When you start to look at the scale of things in our galaxy and then Universe you realize how small we are.  If you put the largest known star into the middle of our solar system it would extend almost to the orbit of Jupiter. 

image.jpeg

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

25 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Yep. When you start to look at the scale of things in our galaxy and then Universe you realize how small we are.  If you put the largest known star into the middle of our solar system it would extend half almost to the orbit of Jupiter.

fzgYoYj7tPHKSGWepRsfh-1200-80.jpg

3 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

fzgYoYj7tPHKSGWepRsfh-1200-80.jpg

And if we expanded that out to the entire star, our Sun wouldn’t even be visible.  

Just now, Jack Bauer said:

How's things going in here, guys?

Good.  Discussing how irrelevant we all are in the grand scheme of the size of the universe.  You?

5 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

You know, just checking out the "your mom" thread. Where is @Dr.Dre?

That’s not Dre’s account. He had me delete his a few years ago because he said he was done with message boards.