Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

WAC Expansion? WAC reportedly offering membership to 4 Texas schools

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

I get it. Everyone here hates New Mexico State but they don't deserve this.

Yes they do!

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Jeez. I'll tell you what needs to happen. The western teams in C-USA and the Sunbelt need to make one conference and the eastern teams need to make another one. Have NMSU join the western conference and have Liberty and Umass join the east.

I don't understand why this hasn't happened yet, especially after the 2020 apocalypse.

I do not hate New Mexico State.

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Matt Brown in his newsletter says he has been told Southern Utah is one of the others approached about leaving the Big Sky to play in the WAC instead.

1 SFA

2 Lamar

3 Sam Houston State

4 Ab. Christian

5 SUU

6 __________

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

1 SFA

2 Lamar

3 Sam Houston State

4 Ab. Christian

5 SUU

6 __________

6. Tarleton State; they're already in the WAC

7. Dixie State; they're already in the WAC

16 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

So, would the league be FBS or FCS?

IF they added football my expectation would be FCS. At this point nothing says for sure they would add football though.

But Big Sky football is at 13 teams and sprawling across the west. Theoretically the WAC could add some Big Sky and Southland FCS football teams and become a more compact (located in just the southwest) FCS conference than the Big Sky.

If it was FCS then NMSU could possibly make a choice between staying a FBS independent or dropping to FCS to be with conference mates.

18 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

6. Tarleton State; they're already in the WAC

7. Dixie State; they're already in the WAC

Both of those are currently FCS independents so WAC football would give them a football conference home.

45 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Both of those are currently FCS independents so WAC football would give them a football conference home.

Bingo.  I was pointing out to Stunner that once the WAC adds four more members Tarleton and Dixie would round it off.  

On 10/23/2020 at 12:31 PM, Ibanez said:

Jeez. I'll tell you what needs to happen. The western teams in C-USA and the Sunbelt need to make one conference and the eastern teams need to make another one. Have NMSU join the western conference and have Liberty and Umass join the east.

I don't understand why this hasn't happened yet, especially after the 2020 apocalypse.

I've been pushing the same Conference realignment. It makes zero sense for G5 conferences to span two, let alone three time zones. 

The NM, Ok, and Texas schools should be in the same Conference. Period. All the Florida schools should be in the same Conference for the same reason.

They just don't have the money for that much travel.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 10/24/2020 at 12:25 PM, Spot50B said:

I doubt NMSU drops down. If it is a FCS league, I wouldn't include them in the total at this point.

I agree.  The addition of the schools will bring stability to the WAC with increased numbers.  As far as NMSU is concerned,  FBS independent schedules look just fine and continue to be filled with MWC, CUSA, and Sun Belt teams.  Here is the 2024 schedule already,  4 years out.

Home:  Hawaii, Northern Illinois, Louisiana, Abilene, UNM

Away:  Wyoming, Fresno, Texas A&M, Liberty, UTEP

As far as basketball,  simply put the last 3 years of RPI / NET rankings and P5 wins up against all the MWC teams, and include head to head records as well.  The only thing missing is an NCAA tourney win, and we lost by 2 to Final Four Auburn with 2 missed free throws and a missed open three pointer at the buzzer.  Clearly the WAC hasn't hurt in that respect with the program to compete at a high level.  Jans is an awesome coach and will continue with his fourth season.  Yes, NMSU would love to have all its programs in a conference, but considering that is not an option at the moment or in the near future,  i like where we are at for both independent football and WAC basketball as the next best alternative.  Scheduling G5 teams for football will always be preferable to FCS.  The fact that so many MWC teams are playing in Aggie Memorial Stadium is a bonus.  Unlike Idaho that dropped down, we have the advantage of building a schedule around our 2 long time rivals, UNM and UTEP, one of whom is always a home game.  Throw in 2 money games and that is 4 games every year, and then add in 1 FCS and 7 more G5 schools.  So far so good.  Who knows, we just might find another bowl season like 2017 where we beat a USU level team.   Here is the link to future schedules.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2024/team/new-mexico-state