bornontheblue

Final debate game thread

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

Oil is going the way of the Dodo at least for the majority of auto's ................like Coal, 8-Tracks, Livery Stables , things come & go due to technology & advancements in science and engineering 

Oils won't go away totally but its not going to be the power player in the coming century it was in the 20th century 

I get that, and you get that. But the oil industry and those who work for them, are going to take offense upon hearing that. Biden shouldn't have said anything about that tonight, I think that was a huge mistake.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Yeah I know you do.  That is why I qualified my statements.  I’m surrounded by medical professionals, but not dealing with it daily.

I think your statement understates the difficulty those with pre-existing conditions had in finding any type of reasonable insurance.  The expansion of Medicare in states who approved it did help but I disagree all of it.

Regardless, we as a country can no longer afford in a global economy to be paying 1.8 times the next highest country for health care costs.   It’s simply not sustainable.   And it’s not all lawyers.   

Absolutely it is difficult for anyone with pre-existing conditions with or without insurance to get care. I don't understate it at all. My nurse's son has a congenital heart condition with average (aka crappy) commercial insurance. Unable to find anyone to do a procedure for less than 20k (inclusive of hospital) due to no network providers. Doesn't qualify for subsidized ACA plans and the deductible would have been $6000 anyway. I told her to have him quit his job so that he can qualify for Medicaid but he isn't eligible until the enrollment period 6 months later. I agree we can't afford it. Doctors aren't benefitting. Most patients aren't benefitting. Follow the money.

2 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I get that, and you get that. But the oil industry and those who work for them, are going to take offense upon hearing that. Biden shouldn't have said anything about that tonight, I think that was a huge mistake.

But it could help with liberals who aren't crazy about him. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Akkula said:

But it could help with liberals who aren't crazy about him. 

Yes, good point. But had he been able to win in Texas, he'd have locked down the presidency. I think that possibility is gone now. But I don't think anyone has ever planned on Biden winning in Texas, anyway.

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

As a guy who owns a few thousand shares of ...................Energy Transfer LP (ET) & Western Midstream Partners, LP (WES) 

I can understand the thinking - I'm in it for the "dividends" or Partnership Distribution 

But still, fracking isn't an issue other than a few states or locations ..............and as times change Texas will come into play because of their total population Oil will become less & less a power player 

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

Yes, good point. But had he been able to win in Texas, he'd have locked down the presidency. I think that possibility is gone now. But I don't think anyone has ever planned on Biden winning in Texas, anyway.

A lot of people (including those that live near Big Oil) don't realize that a lot of Oil Companies are also becoming leaders in Renewable Energy.  It's not like they'll go away, just adapt.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Soften it anyway you like, The fact still remains that the Republican party did everything they could to sabotage the affordable care act. They didn’t care how it affected Americans that needed affordable health care, they still don’t. That’s why they’re in court right now to try to kill what’s left of it.

The ACA is currently the law of the land. Whether or not the Republicans are fighting against it has no effect on the results and costs of implementing the ACA since it's inception. Not softening anything. The only affect the Republicans have made is the repeal of the individual mandate which came for tax year 2019.

1 minute ago, WAC_FAN said:

A lot of people (including those that live near Big Oil) don't realize that a lot of Oil Companies are also becoming leaders in Renewable Energy.  It's not like they'll go away, just adapt.

I agree with that. I was simply referring to it as a perception issue, two weeks before the election.

1 minute ago, WAC_FAN said:

Just like people don’t realize Altria is becoming a big player in Pot.   It’s America, when those who fund politicians have sufficient dollars invested it will become legal. 

19 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Yep Biden just killed any chance he had in Texas. He may have also screwed up his lead in Pennsylvania.  I mean he’s not wrong, we need to get off of oil.   We’re running out of it.  But still phucked up there. 

We're far from running out. I live in oil and gas country. There are reserves near existing reservoirs that are identified that at least equal to what is being drilled. It's just not economic to develop with current prices.

Just now, NMpackalum said:

We're far from running out. I live in oil and gas country. There are reserves near existing reservoirs that are identified that at least equal to what is being drilled. It's just not economic to develop with current prices.

Gold mining in NV - Which is the 3rd or 4th largest gold producing jurisdiction on the planet, is the same way .............when gold prices are high they go after the harder to get gold............when prices are low they go after the easy to get gold 

Thing about oil.............it's not going away like Blacksmiths, but the auto dependence on oil will decline in coming years.............but oil is used on lots of other ways besides being refined into gasoline & deisel

Coal will be the one harder hit in the next 50 years - already power plants are moving away from coal in the US 

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

I hated the ACA and still blame it for losing my health coverage which convinced me to go back to school.

But where's the GOP plan? Crickets.

The problem is very complex. For example, Trump pushed for association plans. Great idea except for it's not profitable for insurance brokers to sell so there aren't any plans. GOP and Dems have had many ideas that can't be implemented due to the State by state nature of insurance regulation. Try complaining about Blue Cross to the state insurance commissioner. Round file.