Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Final debate game thread

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Because the release of taxes show the President has not enriched himself at the expense of the American taxpayer and ignored the emoluments clause.  It’s a good check on corruption that should be required by all Presidents.

Isn’t that what the IRS is for? 

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Because the release of taxes show the President has not enriched himself at the expense of the American taxpayer and ignored the emoluments clause.  It’s a good check on corruption that should be required by all Presidents.

Nixon was the first to release his returns. It was leaked that he only paid about $800 in taxes on over $200,000 in income. He chose to release his returns to show transparency and to try to earn trust from Americans.

The famous "I am not a crook" line was part of Nixon talking about his tax returns, not Watergate as some remember.

I made my mistakes, but in all my years of public life, I have never profited from public service. I've earned every cent......because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook. I've earned everything I've got.

49 minutes ago, Bob said:

Anyone else notice that Biden, on a personal level, is scared of Trump. He  almost never looked at Trump or called him by his name. He always talked toward the moderator and called Trump "he", "him", "them" etc. His insults and times he uttered 'come on, man' were always sheepish and muted.. like when a whimp mutters bad things at a bully and really doesn't want to be heard. Trump, otoh, always called Biden "Joe"  and look straight at him while talking about him. Biden was intimidated and scared

Trump Looking directly at Biden: I ran because of you Joe. If you hadn't done such a terrible job I wouldn't have ran, but you did a terrible Job and I had to run. 

Biden: Looks down in Shame

3 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Everybody pays,  not just the high earners. Most businesses pay a percentage of the premium leaving the employees to pay their share. I pay 95% of my employees premium and 75% for family. They now pay 4x more for much worse coverage.

Obamacare was an economic disaster. It was sold on decreasing health care costs. Instead of attacking the problem of high health care costs, Obamacare exacerbated it. It substantially increased monthly premiums and deductibles. The intent apparently was to insure those who couldn’t afford health care. 

That could have been done by putting those people on Medicaid instead of subjecting the whole country to an outrageously overpriced system. Even those that are subsidized still can’t afford to see a doctor because of the high deductibles. Biden wants to continue with this boondoggle. No thanks. 

3 hours ago, sactowndog said:

I have stated multiple times on this board that tax returns will show none of that information. It's pretty much just numbers on the tax return. The real information you want is in the CPA's workpapers. Those don't belong to Trump and CPAs will not give those up without  a fight. 

10 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Isn’t that what the IRS is for? 

No not necessarily.  The IRS is looking at did you pay the right tax on declared income.  They aren’t looking into whether the source of your income is from foreign governments in violation of the emoluments clause.   

For example,  let’s assume everything in this article is true...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/09/how-everyone-is-quietly-lining-trumps-pockets/amp

All the IRS cares about is did Trump properly account for and pay taxes on his ownership in this property.   Who is renting it, are they paying fair market rates, etc. is not the concern of the IRS because it’s not tax fraud.   

1 minute ago, bornontheblue said:

I have stated multiple times on this board that tax returns will show none of that information. It's pretty much just numbers on the tax return. The real information you want is in the CPA's workpapers. Those don't belong to Trump and CPAs will not give those up without  a fight. 

I agree the tax returns are a start for investigative journalism not the answer.  

About what I expected from the debate. The Biden oil gaffe at the end may cost him dearly. He clarified his position well, but those in the oil industry in purple states (OH, PA) are only going to hear his first statement. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

2 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

and they won't admit that the hostility he receives, he brings on himself (not completely, but mostly)

I agree with that. If he loses he will only have himself to blame, but of course he won’t. If he had kept his mouth shut and went about the business of governing this election wouldn’t be close. I still believe his policies are much sounder and better for America than Biden’s. And we are going to find that out if Biden is elected. 

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

Guy attacks media corporations for years, calls them the enemy of the people, but whines if they don't give him enough softball questions or felate him.

I didn't hear his response, what kind of Ice Cream was ole Joe consuming?

110926run_defense710.jpg

5 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I'd like it known that I'm the least racist person on this message board

Just for the record

I would like to go on record as saying Itallians suck.  Crappy sandwiches, too much hair product and they let go of the Mob.

4 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Everybody pays,  not just the high earners. Most businesses pay a percentage of the premium leaving the employees to pay their share. I pay 95% of my employees premium and 75% for family. They now pay 4x more for much worse coverage.

Also Roberts explicitly sated the mandate was a tax, not the cost of Obamacare.  Huge difference.

3 hours ago, Bob said:

Anyone else notice that Biden, on a personal level, is scared of Trump. He  almost never looked at Trump or called him by his name. He always talked toward the moderator and called Trump "he", "him", "them" etc. His insults and times he uttered 'come on, man' were always sheepish and muted.. like when a whimp mutters bad things at a bully and really doesn't want to be heard. Trump, otoh, always called Biden "Joe"  and look straight at him while talking about him. Biden was intimidated and scared

Sounds like Trump got Bob's hormones aflowin'!

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

2 hours ago, madmartigan said:

About what I expected from the debate. The Biden oil gaffe at the end may cost him dearly. He clarified his position well, but those in the oil industry in purple states (OH, PA) are only going to hear his first statement. 

Not sure it will hurt him as much as you might think:

Recent polls show Pennsylvanians generally are mixed on the practice. A joint CBS and YouGov poll from August showed 52 percent of Pennsylvanians oppose fracking with 48 percent approving. Another August poll prepared by Democratic firm Global Strategy Group for the advocacy group Climate Power 2020 showed that while 61 percent of Pennsylvanians had a favorable view of the natural gas industry, only 32 percent had a favorable view of the fracking industry, compared to 50 percent unfavorable.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-fracking-fixation-not-landing-083912038.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9zZWFyY2gueWFob28uY29tLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKCjDnyDwnhVofPrfFGbutlBRSolH6hn6FeX__nZI71nFC32FQkTI_Ximg3lQZJ2BB0TUAvZ646UVhK4lRXWH8QDvnHp-zM2Da5GZydCk5-q6zIzalQM7pyteTdPQc-7eIwAuC2l_V3F6ZURsyL7IM_VgPGM8BLoWC-Z1N_B95-j

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say