Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Final debate game thread

10 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Soften it anyway you like, The fact still remains that the Republican party did everything they could to sabotage the affordable care act. They didn’t care how it affected Americans that needed affordable health care, they still don’t. That’s why they’re in court right now to try to kill what’s left of it.

The ACA is currently the law of the land. Whether or not the Republicans are fighting against it has no effect on the results and costs of implementing the ACA since it's inception. Not softening anything. The only affect the Republicans have made is the repeal of the individual mandate which came for tax year 2019.

1 minute ago, WAC_FAN said:

A lot of people (including those that live near Big Oil) don't realize that a lot of Oil Companies are also becoming leaders in Renewable Energy.  It's not like they'll go away, just adapt.

I agree with that. I was simply referring to it as a perception issue, two weeks before the election.

1 minute ago, WAC_FAN said:

A lot of people (including those that live near Big Oil) don't realize that a lot of Oil Companies are also becoming leaders in Renewable Energy.  It's not like they'll go away, just adapt.

Just like people don’t realize Altria is becoming a big player in Pot.   It’s America, when those who fund politicians have sufficient dollars invested it will become legal. 

19 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Yep Biden just killed any chance he had in Texas. He may have also screwed up his lead in Pennsylvania.  I mean he’s not wrong, we need to get off of oil.   We’re running out of it.  But still phucked up there. 

We're far from running out. I live in oil and gas country. There are reserves near existing reservoirs that are identified that at least equal to what is being drilled. It's just not economic to develop with current prices.

Just now, NMpackalum said:

We're far from running out. I live in oil and gas country. There are reserves near existing reservoirs that are identified that at least equal to what is being drilled. It's just not economic to develop with current prices.

Gold mining in NV - Which is the 3rd or 4th largest gold producing jurisdiction on the planet, is the same way .............when gold prices are high they go after the harder to get gold............when prices are low they go after the easy to get gold 

Thing about oil.............it's not going away like Blacksmiths, but the auto dependence on oil will decline in coming years.............but oil is used on lots of other ways besides being refined into gasoline & deisel

Coal will be the one harder hit in the next 50 years - already power plants are moving away from coal in the US 

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

I hated the ACA and still blame it for losing my health coverage which convinced me to go back to school.

But where's the GOP plan? Crickets.

The problem is very complex. For example, Trump pushed for association plans. Great idea except for it's not profitable for insurance brokers to sell so there aren't any plans. GOP and Dems have had many ideas that can't be implemented due to the State by state nature of insurance regulation. Try complaining about Blue Cross to the state insurance commissioner. Round file.

30 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Yep Biden just killed any chance he had in Texas. He may have also screwed up his lead in Pennsylvania.  I mean he’s not wrong, we need to get off of oil.   We’re running out of it.  But still phucked up there. 

I dunno if that's true in pennsylvania. Trump was already doing fine in shale country. I don't think the retirees in Allentown or women in the philly suburbs who he needs to win in PA care as much about fracking as they do about COVID.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Absolutely it is difficult for anyone with pre-existing conditions with or without insurance to get care. I don't understate it at all. My nurse's son has a congenital heart condition with average (aka crappy) commercial insurance. Unable to find anyone to do a procedure for less than 20k (inclusive of hospital) due to no network providers. Doesn't qualify for subsidized ACA plans and the deductible would have been $6000 anyway. I told her to have him quit his job so that he can qualify for Medicaid but he isn't eligible until the enrollment period 6 months later. I agree we can't afford it. Doctors aren't benefitting. Most patients aren't benefitting. Follow the money.

Yeah I know where the money is and I agree it’s not the Docs.

The current model is not sustainable and the Republicans have no plan but opposition.

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Gold mining in NV - Which is the 3rd or 4th largest gold producing jurisdiction on the planet, is the same way .............when gold prices are high they go after the harder to get gold............when prices are low they go after the easy to get gold 

Thing about oil.............it's not going away like Blacksmiths, but the auto dependence on oil will decline in coming years.............but oil is used on lots of other ways besides being refined into gasoline & deisel

Coal will be the one harder hit in the next 50 years - already power plants are moving away from coal in the US 

Coal is pretty much dead already. The coal mines and power plants in the Southwest would have been closed already except for their inordinate economic effects on the Native American tribes. 

The gold miners must be working 24/7 at these prices.

I've seen 2 post debate polls, one saying Biden won by 9 and another showing Biden won by 12.

That seems to somewhat match with national polls, so Trump did nothing to gain a much needed boost

2 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

The problem is very complex. For example, Trump pushed for association plans. Great idea except for it's not profitable for insurance brokers to sell so there aren't any plans. GOP and Dems have had many ideas that can't be implemented due to the State by state nature of insurance regulation. Try complaining about Blue Cross to the state insurance commissioner. Round file.

I dont doubt its complicated. I had a hard time keeping up with it when there was so much reporting on health care industry at the time.

But the politics of it is pretty simple. If the gop is gonna dismantle a program that people use and dont have an option to replace it, it's a GOP problem. Getting a replacement requires the plan, and it requires the votes. They haven't got those things, so right now the optics are that they are just trying to break something instead of fix it.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

5 minutes ago, Maji said:

This election is over. Goodbye Trump

Don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, bornontheblue said:

You might be right, but if you are wrong a lot of people are going to point out what a fool you are. I wouldn’t take the victory lap just yet. 

Just now, mugtang said:

Don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched.  

Great minds :ph34r:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater