Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV vs San Diego St - Carson California

How many starters were you missing ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

14 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Fresno got their butts kicked by Todd Graham tonight in Fresno so that should be a winnable game for you.

Looks like this season will be full of fails, crapfests, shocking suprises...............The MWC thrown into action with 3+ weeks to prepare...............so what we see one week might be an anomaly the next week

My thing from this UNLV showing was that Arroyo seemed to have zero idea about the QB position & was just acting like this game was a preseason scrimmage with the revolving door at QB 

Hardly mentioned yet the officiating was consistent with a Chad Bunn bias. They missed a ton and the TD good God that was a gaff.

It looked exactly like what it was supposed to be. A top 2 MWC team with continuity in players, schemes and staff playing a bottom 2 team with depleted talent or new players along with an entirely new scheme/play-book and an entirely new staff. 

Congrats to the Aztecs for a win in this scrimmage. UNLV has miles to go so for those weaker game day fans, hold on it’s going to be a bumpy ride. This one is what it always was going to be.

20907F7F-6567-4513-8634-E79FFFA4E12B.gif

9 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

The BEST thing about that play was that Chance Bell (and all the other RBs last night) didn't run straight into the safety like he did last year.  :D

Couldn't have been more impressed with the improvement of last year's crop of RBs, and wow Greg Bell is pretty damn good.

Still have my concerns about our passing game. Hoping to see major improvements there, but not sure if the talent is there. Then again, I’m an old guy who grew up on Coryell’s Aztecs, so maybe I’m spoiled as to what a passing game should look like. 

9 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Aztec RB Greg Bell had quite the path to become the feature back in his Sr season.

Seems like he debuted fairly well.

19 carries,  111 yards. 1 TD

Rebs couldn't stop him.

9 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

How many starters were you missing ?

Not good news here. There are a few others, as well.

11 minutes ago, dshawfan said:

Still have my concerns about our passing game. Hoping to see major improvements there, but not sure if the talent is there. Then again, I’m an old guy who grew up on Coryell’s Aztecs, so maybe I’m spoiled as to what a passing game should look like. 

Old enough to be a "dshawfan" myself, as well as an "icurtis" and "hmoses" fan and I agree but you don't even have to go back that far. Az Hakim, Patrick Rowe, Darnay Scott, all of those guys could get separation from defenders and make the big catch.  We'll have to see as this very weird season progresses but we look as one dimensional this year as we've looked for the last few years

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 hours ago, dshawfan said:

Still early, but how do you compare him to Chapman?

8 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

WR and TE basically irrelevant since other than Gilliam, your QBs weren't going to hit them even if they were open.

FWIW, This was Kenyon Oblad's statline last year w/ UNLV's #1 WR Randall Grimes had 121 receiving yds and 1 TD... --nd he was inactive for this game. Not sure how Oblad declined so much this season to lose the starting job to Gilliam. My guess is Arroyo just has no idea what he has with this team and is using these games as scrimmages to determine that.  UNLV having a complete roster wouldn't of determined the outcome of this game, but I think they would've definitely been more potent on offense. 

image.png.acd87588ead2b0a3c497a80ad759b305.png

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

6 minutes ago, aztech said:

Still early, but how do you compare him to Chapman?

Yes, very early, I was more impressed w his BYU game than last night’s. Based on what I’ve seen so far, it seems like we have someone who can manage a game, not necessarily win you a game w his arm. Time will tell, but for now, he’s our current “Chapman” imo. 

3 hours ago, dshawfan said:

Yes, very early, I was more impressed w his BYU game than last night’s. Based on what I’ve seen so far, it seems like we have someone who can manage a game, not necessarily win you a game w his arm. Time will tell, but for now, he’s our current “Chapman” imo. 

What I'm going to look for in the coming games are Baker's progressions.  His arm looks to be the same as Chapman's, but that might be the difference.  Hopefully.   

20 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Wut? You don't like a throw to a back out in the flat with absolutely no blockers in the area? ;)

I've watched the replay several times.

UNLV was running a fake screen the strong side and wide side of the field hoping the Aztecs go with the flow of the play. The Aztecs were blitzing from the weak side and hence in perfect position to cover the misdirection screen. UNLV only had a guard and wr on the weak side after the play and ball fake, while the Aztecs had five guys.

The perfect defensive call for that play. UNLV would have scored had they stuck with the strong side screen. 

Americans Mayor

10 hours ago, dshawfan said:

imageproxy.jpeg

Americans Mayor

11 hours ago, dshawfan said:

Ok, I’ll bite.  Who was DShaw?

22 minutes ago, SpartanDude said:

Ok, I’ll bite.  Who was DShaw?

Dennis Shaw. Aztec QB under Coryell in the late 60’s. Drafted in the 2nd round by Buffalo in ‘70. Offensive Rookie of the Year. Played in the league for 4 or 5 teams, mostly as a backup. Monster in college. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say