Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

New Mexico vs Colorado State game cancelled:

8 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Well I got it sometime late last week and I've did everything the right way. Social distance and always wore a mask. I had to drive two times this week to Ontario for breathing treatment. And less than 24 hours after I got it, I got calls from the health departments in Oregon and Idaho answering questions. "Where have I been over the last 10 days?"" How many people do I work with?" Things like that.  What's funny is I haven't been on Idaho since September. The one thing every doctor has told me is the mask is more of a placebo effect than a prevention tool. The mask might help, but it's not really something to rely on. And I'm proof. I live in the freaking mountains and aside from going into the office where there is only one or two people there at any time and clocking in on the PC, I can't for the life of me figure out where else I could of got it unless it was the grocery store where everyone wears a mask.

The whole mask thing is a joke. Well, maybe not a joke but people put too much emphasis on it. I am pro empty stadiums all the way. I don't think there is a fight against mask. I think it's more of people have seen enough evidence to know they don't make much difference.

Covid isn't a joke however. It's not the worst I have ever felt but it's up there. My chest always hurts and I am constantly thinking "Heart attack?" It's not something you wanna be thinking about.

IMG_20201020_152902248.jpg

I'm sorry you have this, I hope you are feeling much better very soon.

As for wearing a mask, you did the right thing, you are wearing it to help prevent your droplets from spreading to other people. Thank you. If everyone did that it would cut down on the infection rate, just by reducing the amount of droplets hanging in the air.

5 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I think you put the higher risk individuals in the community in a bubble.  There is no benefit to treating healthy kids like lepers.

I agree we don't need to treat healthy kids like lepers, as long as it's understood they can be carriers. As for putting high risk individuals in bubbles, when the highlight of their summer has been to go to the dentist, it might be time to let them out of the house, lol. I actually don't think anyone needs to be locked up, IF we would all do the simplest of things to get this virus under control.. wear a mask, for the benefit of others. Wash your hands. Use a little space. And your health care providers will appreciate that as well.

12 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

As for wearing a mask, you did the right thing, you are wearing it to help prevent your droplets from spreading to other people. Thank you. If everyone did that it would cut down on the infection rate, just by reducing the amount of droplets hanging in the air.

I agree we don't need to treat healthy kids like lepers, as long as it's understood they can be carriers. As for putting high risk individuals in bubbles, when the highlight of their summer has been to go to the dentist, it might be time to let them out of the house, lol. I actually don't think anyone needs to be locked up, IF we would all do the simplest of things to get this virus under control.. wear a mask, for the benefit of others. Wash your hands. Use a little space. And your health care providers will appreciate that as well.

I catch a lot of grief about the hand washing vs masking thing.  I'm not an anti-masker (even though I think they're almost useless), but I tend to preach about the hand washing.  Folks need to learn how to do that.  It ain't just Covid either, I've read where a lack of hand sanitation is the biggest spreader of the flu.  I saw a noted cardiologist on TV mention that the most common transmission of the flu is oral-fecal.  Just wash your freaking hands folks, with soap.

Wasn't there a book at one time called "everything I need to know about life I learned in kindergarten"?  Or something like that.

10 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Going to the dentist is high on the list of risky things to do during the pandemic. I’m also not an anti masker that doubts their effectiveness. I wear one whenever I go into a store and rarely see anyone inside without a mask yet the contact rate is skyrocketing.

There are stories about a lot of people that are distancing and wearing a mask that don’t understand how they caught the virus. It’s giving some people a false sense of security. 

This pandemic isn’t going to be semi under control until a vaccine is available. 

CDC says everyone wears a mask...we can get it under control in 3-4weeks.

everyone wears a mask....cases are highest ever.

masks don’t work

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

1 hour ago, LoFasZz said:

masks don’t work

hmm...I wonder why :facepalm:

The 5 mask-wearers you meet in a world battling coronavirus - nj.com

Might as well not wear it at all if you don't wear it over your nose folks.

On 10/20/2020 at 12:32 PM, LoboMan59 said:

I don't agree. I do think we need to take this seriously. If people would bucket down for just a few weeks, we'd be in a better place than we are now. But people need their latte's and their food brought to them, and their haircuts... who cares if people are dying. She has a difficult job, and the death threats to her and her family are coming from... trump supporters. If she would drop the 14 day quarantine, this place would an even bigger hellhole. we're 1000 dead now, and gonna get worse. 

Most everybody did shut down in March and it didn't work.  Cannot pretend to shutdown for months as it would lead to much greater death and hardship than Covid.  If my mom got Covid she probably wouldn't last 15 minutes with the health issues she already has.  But we're not going to lock her up in a closet until one day it all goes away.  People should take precautions, people should not be inside with large groups, etc.  The economic havoc of prolonged shutdowns far outweighs the risks of covid imo.   If someone has a nice house and a job and is doing well, and then a year later their homeless living on the street - are you going to go up to them and say hey, aren't you going to thank our governor because they didn't let you get the Covid that has a 90-something % rate of survival! 

Guest #1Stunner
On 10/20/2020 at 2:41 PM, Headbutt said:

I agree as far as NM is concerned.  They already know they can't play.  CSU was ready to go this week with a watered down depth chart, and barring something more drastic will be on the plane to Fresno next week.

Addazio has been trying to put together a large scrimmage for a couple of weeks.  Air quality permitting, I bet he'll use this as an opportunity to get that done.

Seems like New Mexico needs to make a decision about whether they can play October 30/31 right now...

If this State ban prevents them from playing, and it rolls into next week, they will cancel next weekend's game, and whoever they are scheduled to play won't have time to find a replacement game. 

14 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Seems like New Mexico needs to make a decision about whether they can play October 30/31 right now...

If this State ban prevents them from playing, and it rolls into next week, they will cancel next weekend's game, and whoever they are scheduled to play won't have time to find a replacement game. 

This is what I don't understand. I thought the MWC sat down with NM and CA prior to the announcement of moving forward with 8-game conference only schedule to make sure they were on board and it could be done under their respective guidelines. Where was the breakdown before they even get to game 1? 

1 hour ago, pokerider said:

nah, this is mine here

Mizuno Classic G2 Baseball Catcher's Face Mask - Walmart.com

Some masks aren’t much better. A lot of people don’t understand the size of virus particles are smaller than the mesh in most masks and go right through the mask. When you can feel your breath on the outside of your mask, virus particles are going right through it.

Yes, it does catch larger sneezing and coughing particles from spreading, but that’s a very small percentage compared to what is  passing through during normal breathing. IMO distancing is more effective than a mask. 

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

CSU went looking for a new opponent when they got the news, but the notice was too short.  It's not just being willing to play a football game, there are a lot of travel considerations.  Charter, hotel, equipment truck.

Yes, if you know you can't play, you owe it to the other team and the conference to notify them as early as possible.

On 10/20/2020 at 11:43 AM, Lobonado said:

Protect the elderly and the vulnerable and let everyone else live their normal lives. We've been under "lockdown" since March and I'm sure every single person has been exposed the virus by now. I know 6 people who had the virus last week and it was just a cold for them. I got it too and had a headache for 3 days. (I always wear a mask) My condolences to all those who have lost a loved one, but MLG is a power hungry Gov that is squashing NM.  Now UNM athletics is gonna take a big hit when we are the only team in the MW not playing football and probably bball because of MLG. Wake up NM!

On 10/20/2020 at 2:34 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

I don't like politics but setting aside the vast constitutional law issues, how does a 14 day quarantine of out of state travelers even rationally relate to public health?  The coronavirus is everywhere (including within the State of New Mexico).  Effectively, the Governor is pushing an almost self imposed death penalty on New Mexico's athletics programs.  I'll be curious how the MWC works out media payouts among members that don't even participate.  I'm certainly glad that Wyoming does not have a governor with that line of thinking.

On 10/20/2020 at 2:44 PM, Ibanez said:

Well I got it sometime late last week and I've did everything the right way. Social distance and always wore a mask. I had to drive two times this week to Ontario for breathing treatment. And less than 24 hours after I got it, I got calls from the health departments in Oregon and Idaho answering questions. "Where have I been over the last 10 days?"" How many people do I work with?" Things like that.  What's funny is I haven't been on Idaho since September. The one thing every doctor has told me is the mask is more of a placebo effect than a prevention tool. The mask might help, but it's not really something to rely on. And I'm proof. I live in the freaking mountains and aside from going into the office where there is only one or two people there at any time and clocking in on the PC, I can't for the life of me figure out where else I could of got it unless it was the grocery store where everyone wears a mask.

The whole mask thing is a joke. Well, maybe not a joke but people put too much emphasis on it. I am pro empty stadiums all the way. I don't think there is a fight against mask. I think it's more of people have seen enough evidence to know they don't make much difference.

Covid isn't a joke however. It's not the worst I have ever felt but it's up there. My chest always hurts and I am constantly thinking "Heart attack?" It's not something you wanna be thinking about.

IMG_20201020_152902248.jpg

On 10/20/2020 at 5:04 PM, Headbutt said:

So, I'll disagree with you here.  She's not listening to doctors and going with science.  Science tells us that the group of individuals we're discussing are at almost zero risk of any harm from the virus.  Just like the common cold.  If she were using science she'd recognize that certain groups are more at risk than others, and take different steps to protect different groups.  Making a blanket policy is nothing less than a power play IMO.  There is every reason in the world to isolate nursing homes, or put in certain safety protocols for certain interactions (public in the grocery store, police on a traffic stop, etc.), there is also no reasonable cause to not let 20 year old kids interact.  None whatsoever.  Yes, that group will get infected, but they won't get any sicker than they would've if they had caught the flu last year.  There is zero scientific reason to screw with practices or cause a college athlete to not be able to compete just on a risk basis.  If they're positive, and it's proven to not be a false positive they need to stay home.  If not, let them play.

17 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Going to the dentist is high on the list of risky things to do during the pandemic. I’m also not an anti masker that doubts their effectiveness. I wear one whenever I go into a store and rarely see anyone inside without a mask yet the contact rate is skyrocketing.

There are stories about a lot of people that are distancing and wearing a mask that don’t understand how they caught the virus. It’s giving some people a false sense of security. 

This pandemic isn’t going to be semi under control until a vaccine is available. 

17 hours ago, LoFasZz said:

masks don’t work

440F2EAC-3BD5-457B-8C5E-E430A94D4FD3.jpeg

20 hours ago, LoFasZz said:

masks don’t work

Or you could just look at trumps super spreader event...

15 hours ago, Headbutt said:

CSU went looking for a new opponent when they got the news, but the notice was too short.  It's not just being willing to play a football game, there are a lot of travel considerations.  Charter, hotel, equipment truck.

Yes, if you know you can't play, you owe it to the other team and the conference to notify them as early as possible.

UNM was penalized for being in the wrong county. The governor is going by a rolling 14 day average. Yes, UNM had 9 players test positive, but they were quickly isolated, and the rest of the team had since tested negative for covid. But because the numbers spiked in Bernalillo county, through no fault of their own, UNM couldn't travel without having to comeback and quarantine for 2 weeks, so no SJSU, and then travel to Hawaii, then 14 day quarantine again! The AD is trying to work with the state government to get them to see UNM as a separate category/entity from the county, so that this isn't an issue in the future. 

Here's a zoom call with the AD and coach G. explaining the situation. According to them, they had little heads up this was coming... you decide...

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

38 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

UNM was penalized for being in the wrong county. The governor is going by a rolling 14 day average. Yes, UNM had 9 players test positive, but they were quickly isolated, and the rest of the team had since tested negative for covid. But because the numbers spiked in Bernalillo county, through no fault of their own, UNM couldn't travel without having to comeback and quarantine for 2 weeks, so no SJSU, and then travel to Hawaii, then 14 day quarantine again! The AD is trying to work with the state government to get them to see UNM as a separate category/entity from the county, so that this isn't an issue in the future. 

Here's a zoom call with the AD and coach G. explaining the situation. According to them, they had little heads up this was coming... you decide...

After watching that presser, I sense a lot of frustration from the AD. Sounds like he was blind-sided.

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Or you could just look at trumps super spreader event...

I blame the Dentists

I'm starting to suspect that they are reusing the floss!!!