Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Debate commission to mute mics

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

if we don't seriously look at police reform, were going to be involved in a war, but it won't be a foreign one

Is there that much civil unrest in your neighborhood in Utah?

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

You should have seen the side eye from Mrs. Johnson when there were only two types of funeral potatoes last week.

11 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

after the discussion on foreign policy I hope the moderator focuses on these other pressing issues facing the American people:

- should pineapple be allowed as a topping on pizza

- what was the meaning behind the ending of the Sopranos

- Boise's Turf is it an unfair advantage

- how did Stella get her groove back

2 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

after the discussion on foreign policy I hope the moderator focuses on these other pressing issues facing the American people:

- should pineapple be allowed as a topping on pizza

- what was the meaning behind the ending of the Sopranos

- Boise's Turf is it an unfair advantage

- how did Stella get her groove back

Yes, dunno, nah and dirty mind dance GIF

3 hours ago, Bob said:

Should be a positive for Trump. He'll be forced to let Biden talk his own grave.

Great point. Biden didn’t do well at all. Trump needs to let him speak. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

On 10/19/2020 at 11:06 PM, toonkee said:

Fox News is #1. Fox News is big media. Fox is well entangled with ex-Republican officials and and aides and ex and future members of Trump's administration. Fox News is hosting Thursday's debate yet this still has to be difficult because Trump is a garbage person. It's really that simple.

Chris Wallace isn't a member of the conservative establishment, agreed?  Ailes was.  Brit is, Bret is, Krauthammer was, and then of course you have the talkshow people.  But they weren't moderating the debate.

I don't know what you really mean by "it's really that simple".

Yes, Fox News is big media.  And to be honest, so is Rush.  More people hear him each day than Anderson Cooper.  So if you said there was no difference between the conservative elite/establishment and Rush/Hannity/NRO, et all, I would agree with you.  There is a reason, Ailes, Schumer, and Graham had a meeting with Rush to discuss immigration reform.

But when Rush has Trump on his show, he openly calls it a Trump rally.  Where when Stephanapolis has a "town hall" with undecided voters, we get equally softball questions from George and democrat donors/operatives.  I'm not pretending Rush is objective, why are we pretending democrat operatives are?

UNLV2001, and the "libertarians" on our board like Retro and YRF scoff at anything from Fox as propaganda, yet proclaim other media as sources of record.  The media homers on this board spartan with no vowels  and NVGiant seem determined to defend the farce that todays print journalists are objective arbiters and not activists in the political process. 

I think it's a false analogy you are making.

5 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Chris Wallace isn't a member of the conservative establishment, agreed?  Ailes was.  Brit is, Bret is, Krauthammer was, and then of course you have the talkshow people.  But they weren't moderating the debate.

Yes, Fox News is big media.  And to be honest, so is Rush.  More people hear him each day than Anderson Cooper.  So if you said there was no difference between the conservative elite/establishment and Rush/Hannity/NRO, et all, I would agree with you.  There is a reason, Ailes, Schumer, and Graham had a meeting with Rush to discuss immigration reform.

But when Rush has Trump on his show, he openly calls it a Trump rally.  Where when Stephanapolis has a "town hall" with undecided voters, we get equally softball questions from George and democrat donors/operatives.  I'm not pretending Rush is objective, why are we pretending democrat operatives are?

UNLV2001, and the "libertarians" on our board like Retro and YRF scoff at anything from Fox as propaganda, yet proclaim other media as sources of record.  The media homers on this board spartan with no vowels  and NVGiant seem determined to defend the farce that todays print journalists are objective arbiters and not activists in the political process. 

If you’re going to call us out specifically, well then at least tag @smltwnrckrand me. Sheesh.

But I’ll admit, all journalists are against you.

5 hours ago, CPslograd said:

1. Not a libertarian
  2. Fox is far right skewed and fails fact checks with relative regularity. There are better sources on the right for actual news, as they've effectively become a television version of two of Murdoch's other ventures, the New York Post and The Sun.
  3. I don't call everything from Fox "propaganda", but when I read stuff from them I take it with a pretty big grain of salt. 

2 hours ago, NVGiant said:

If you’re going to call us out specifically, well then at least tag @smltwnrckrand me. Sheesh.

But I’ll admit, all journalists are against you.

Moderation of a debate with trump in it seems like such a weird hill to die on in the anti-media argument. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Moderation of a debate with trump in it seems like such a weird hill to die on in the anti-media argument. 

It's as if anti-media sentiment has been so ingrained, oh, for the last 40 years or so, that it has become a blanket narrative that helps them escape ever criticizing their own. ... even in this case, when Trump's behavior is clearly the one and only real problem.

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

It's as if anti-media sentiment has been so ingrained, oh, for the last 40 years or so, that it has become a blanket narrative that helps them escape ever criticizing their own.

Good faith conservatives are frustrated right now. I kinda get it.

It's like political comfort food to blame the media. It's the big tent that they can still all stand under.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

10 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Good faith conservatives are frustrated right now. I kinda get it.

It's like political comfort food to blame the media. It's the big tent that they can still stand under.

You make a good point. Yet turning questions about debate moderation into a gripe about media undermines their anti-media argument. But it does support the argument that those who are first to accuse "the media" of bias are often blind to how their own biases have shaped their perceptions. 

8 hours ago, CPslograd said:

I'm not defending MSNBC, abc, etc. or saying they're not on the tank for Dems, I'm saying the #1 news network is in the tank for Republicans.  The different ties the parties might have to the networks don't seem to matter all that much. The job is getting done in both places.

The false analogy is comparing Trump to typical and expecting the media to have a typical relationship with him.