Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

USU fans, tell me why you will beat Boise.

I don't see a chance for the Aggies to contend but who knows.   The Aggied did have that game in 2014 that came out of nowhere before they bombed he rest of the season.

The Aggies will have a whole new offense, what should be a decent O-line, and 2 good backs.   They are going back to the 3-4 / 3-3-5 scheme with a new coordinator so they do have the advantage of surprise a bit on both sides of the ball.   There may be a good deal of rust on both sides that might keep the game closer than it should be allowing anything to happen late.  Sounds like weather might be a factor which theoretically might favor the Aggie ground game.  However, this is pretty much the same D that Boise shellacked last year albiet with hopefully a bit of competence on the coordinator side.

I think 27-10 for the Donks in a game that doesn't seem that close.

25 minutes ago, hickaggie said:

Sounds like weather might be a factor which theoretically might favor the Aggie ground game.

Looks like it will be wet (morning rain), but clearing up in the afternoon with 15 mph winds and about 45° at kickoff. Enough to cause extra turnovers?  Maybe.

18 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Tell me about Boise. How will your defensive line be? At what point will you #fireharsin? @kingpotatoany Idahoan RBs on the roster or are you still driving them away at an alarming rate? @BSUTOP25 sorry about your Patriots taking the L today. 

The skill positions are the best in the league. I heard the play-by-play guy for Boise on the radio the other day and he believes this is the best LB crop that he's seen since he's been here (12 years). Two SR CBs that have been starting since they were FR. Safety was a strength with tons of depth, but a couple transferred out over offseason (Arizona State and Oregon). Despite that the starting two look great... depth is a problem now, though.

But you asked about the lines. NT Scale Igiehon is a beast. He'll be All MW and a future NFL player. Nobody proven behind him however, although they did bring in some JC guys to shore up the lines. Next least concerning position would be the STUD. Every multi-year starter there has been a high draft pick for the last decade with the last three early entry. All signs point to Demetri Washington being the next in line. 4.5 sacks as a FR playing behind the MW POTY. Also get Sam Whitney back after a couple of injury riddled seasons. He was actually the starter ahead of Curtis Weaver before getting injured. Not the pass rusher that some of the others are, but great against the run. The next two positions are more concerning. DT the coaches have been raving about local product Scott Matlock and have a Utah transfer in Jackson Cravens that they like, but neither has done much in college. I think they'll be fine there, but have no idea. DE I'm even less optimistic. They have some young guys that were ok prospects out of high school and a JC kid who is, again, a decent prospect, but nothing to write home about. I can't imagine this position won't be weaker. I'm hoping that my expectations of being serviceable isn't out of line. Overall, I think the DL will be pretty good, possibly really good if someone shows up at the DE position. I'd be surprised if it was a poor line.

OL I have a bigger concern than I do the DL. Coach Bedell has been at Boise for 3 years and every year the OL starts really slow. But also every year they seem to figure it out by mid season. With a shortened season and inexperience that might be a really bad thing. They are in a better position than they were 3 years ago when they had to replace 4 starters and had NO experience returning. At least this year all of the projected starters have some experience and all of them have some starting experience, as well. LT Ojukwu is another future NFL guy. Basically for the last 20 years, if you play LT for Boise, you are going to get drafted. RT seems likely to be multi year Rice starter transfer, and behemoth (6'8" 300) Uzo. Feel pretty good with those two. OG Stetz is likely the next least concerning. He started the final 4 games and many fans thought the OL played better with him in the starting lineup than with Quevedo. I think Center will be a co-starter type situation with KHG and Harrington looking pretty even. KHG looked pretty good last year and even made a start. Harrington started 4 games a couple years ago before being injured the last couple years. Curren is the likely other starter at OG. He started a game at RT as a FR last year. Coaches seem to be pretty high on him. 

Overall, the DL should be good and the defense should be one of the leagues best. OL will almost certainly struggle early. If Boise starts the season 3-0, I think they go undefeated, but it's a very real possibility that they start the season 1-2. 

1 minute ago, kingpotato said:

The skill positions are the best in the league. I heard the play-by-play guy for Boise on the radio the other day and he believes this is the best LB crop that he's seen since he's been here (12 years). Two SR CBs that have been starting since they were FR. Safety was a strength with tons of depth, but a couple transferred out over offseason (Arizona State and Oregon). Despite that the starting two look great... depth is a problem now, though.

But you asked about the lines. NT Scale Igiehon is a beast. He'll be All MW and a future NFL player. Nobody proven behind him however, although they did bring in some JC guys to shore up the lines. Next least concerning position would be the STUD. Every multi-year starter there has been a high draft pick for the last decade with the last three early entry. All signs point to Demetri Washington being the next in line. 4.5 sacks as a FR playing behind the MW POTY. Also get Sam Whitney back after a couple of injury riddled seasons. He was actually the starter ahead of Curtis Weaver before getting injured. Not the pass rusher that some of the others are, but great against the run. The next two positions are more concerning. DT the coaches have been raving about local product Scott Matlock and have a Utah transfer in Jackson Cravens that they like, but neither has done much in college. I think they'll be fine there, but have no idea. DE I'm even less optimistic. They have some young guys that were ok prospects out of high school and a JC kid who is, again, a decent prospect, but nothing to write home about. I can't imagine this position won't be weaker. I'm hoping that my expectations of being serviceable isn't out of line. Overall, I think the DL will be pretty good, possibly really good if someone shows up at the DE position. I'd be surprised if it was a poor line.

OL I have a bigger concern than I do the DL. Coach Bedell has been at Boise for 3 years and every year the OL starts really slow. But also every year they seem to figure it out by mid season. With a shortened season and inexperience that might be a really bad thing. They are in a better position than they were 3 years ago when they had to replace 4 starters and had NO experience returning. At least this year all of the projected starters have some experience and all of them have some starting experience, as well. LT Ojukwu is another future NFL guy. Basically for the last 20 years, if you play LT for Boise, you are going to get drafted. RT seems likely to be multi year Rice starter transfer, and behemoth (6'8" 300) Uzo. Feel pretty good with those two. OG Stetz is likely the next least concerning. He started the final 4 games and many fans thought the OL played better with him in the starting lineup than with Quevedo. I think Center will be a co-starter type situation with KHG and Harrington looking pretty even. KHG looked pretty good last year and even made a start. Harrington started 4 games a couple years ago before being injured the last couple years. Curren is the likely other starter at OG. He started a game at RT as a FR last year. Coaches seem to be pretty high on him. 

Overall, the DL should be good and the defense should be one of the leagues best. OL will almost certainly struggle early. If Boise starts the season 3-0, I think they go undefeated, but it's a very real possibility that they start the season 1-2. 

Please now address my question about firing harsin and Idahoans on the roster. Thank you. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Just now, madmartigan said:

Please now address my question about firing harsin and Idahoans on the roster. Thank you. 

It was disappointing to lose Keegan. I think he'll be really good (on defense). I'm not sure if you've ever been to Declo, but it's not surprising that coming from there to Boise would be a bit of a culture shock. Logan was probably a better fit for a small town boy and is actually much closer to Declo than is Boise. I think he has All MW potential

@madmartigan

Well, the first depth chart addressed one of my biggest concerns. Looks like Washington put on about 10 pounds in the offseason and he's been moved to DE, where there was almost no experience returning. I love the move. Whitney is a former starter at the STUD with a lot of young talent behind him. Feeling even better about the DL now.

2020 Depth Chart.jpg

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

Unlikely Harsin gets his automatic contract-extending 8 wins this year, so there's that.

Idahoan RB - Obi Gee from small-school Cole-Valley Christian in Ada County. He's an Idaho state champion 100m runner. Also r-FR Tyler Crowe from Nampa's Skyview HS. He was Idaho's HS POY in 2018-19.  Both are walkons but I'd expect one to earn a scholarship and become a solid 4th quarter contributor before too long. Boise only has 6 RBs on the roster, and one (Juco-transfer Taequon Tyler) is out for the season.  That leaves the three scholarship guys and these two walkons.

6 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Gary Anderson vs. Boise:

2019 lost 56-21 (utah state)

2016 lost 38-24 (oregon state)

2010 lost 50-14 (utah state)

2009 lost 52-21 (utah state)

2006 lost 36-3 (Utah's DC - Harsin was Boise's OC)

Outside of that one anomaly, Utah State has never matched up well against Boise. Even some of their better teams, they weren't very competitive

20 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Looks like we moved Washington to DE and have Whitney, Bagnah and Kline at Stud.  That shores up the D-line pretty well IMO.

18 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Gary Anderson vs. Boise:

To be fair, neither of the 3 Utah State losses were with good teams and OSU got killed by everyone when Gary was there.   Last year USU was in free fall by the Boise game with Woody's injury, a d-coordinator in over his head running the wrong scheme, and an O-coordinator running an offense he didn't understand or want to run.   USU and Boise weren't in the same conference in Gary's only other 2 non-losing seasons.    Point taken however.   I expect another beatdown.

14 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I think this is a really good math up for Boise to start with. Their biggest question (OL) goes up against a front 7 that loses a lot

Our OL is the strongest position group at USU. Our DL OTOH... eek. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

40 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Looks like we moved Washington to DE and have Whitney, Bagnah and Kline at Stud.  That shores up the D-line pretty well IMO.

Yeah, I really like that. I have very little concern with the DL now. They'll need to build some depth with the newer guys, but I feel much better rotating those guys in than relying on them

7 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah, I really like that. I have very little concern with the DL now. They'll need to build some depth with the newer guys, but I feel much better rotating those guys in than relying on them

I think the pass rush will be fine with this line up and it should be strong against the run as well.  

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think the pass rush will be fine with this line up and it should be strong against the run as well.  

When I saw Dmitri had bulked up to 275, I was thinking that is a pretty big STUD. When coaches describe him as being a "strong" and "powerful" pass rusher, it makes all of the sense in the world that he would move to DE. It also allows their most experienced player on the line in Sam Whitney to get his old starting spot back. This group with the LBs I feel is going to be a strong rush defense, but I think they'll be able to get tot he QB as well.

3 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Whitney is so small (6'-2", 225) compared to Bagnah (6'-4", 244) and Kline (6'-4", 241).  Seems weird to me that he is regarded as the positions best run-stopper at his size. 

Just now, bsu_alum9 said:

Whitney is so small (6'-2", 225) compared to Bagnah (6'-4", 244) and Kline (6'-4", 241).  Seems weird to me that he is regarded as the positions best run-stopper at his size. 

He's a 6th year senior and really quick.  That said I would not be surprised to see Bagnah and Kline take more and more snaps away from him as the year progresses.

22 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Gary Anderson vs. Boise:

Let me know where I can bet the damn farm on Boise. I think the Aggies are in for a rough year.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

He led all DL/STUD in tackles per game before getting injured in the 7th game (2017). By quite a bit over most of them. He was well above both Jabril Frazier and Curtis Weaver