Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

USU fans, tell me why you will beat Boise.

26 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

He led all DL/STUD in tackles per game before getting injured in the 7th game (2017). By quite a bit over most of them. He was well above both Jabril Frazier and Curtis Weaver

Whitney is fast and moves sideline to sideline really, really well.  He had issues at time at the point of attack in the run game but he is a lot older and stronger now, even if he is not that much heavier.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Whitney is fast and moves sideline to sideline really, really well.  He had issues at time at the point of attack in the run game but he is a lot older and stronger now, even if he is not that much heavier.

Yeah, he doesn't get upfield like all of the others. It'll definitely be a different kind of production than they normally get from that spot. 

43 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah, he doesn't get upfield like all of the others. It'll definitely be a different kind of production than they normally get from that spot. 

I think Whitney getting the first start speaks to the confidence the coaching staff has in the LB's and Safeties.  They expect these guys to get into lanes fast.  Whitney meanwhile can rush the passer and get to the sidelines.  He can also spy athletic QB's, which we will see a lot of this year.  Kline and Bagnah are huge talents.  I think at some point we see Bagnah rotate between DE and and Stud and could see Kline rotating between Stud and LB.  These two kids are monsters and would start for most all G5 teams.  In a year where practice was cut short and disrupted and we will be playing teams like AFA and BYU that have so much more practice time, it makes sense to play the 6th year senior.  

7 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think I read somewhere Whitney is one of the strongest guys on the team. It’s going to be interesting to watch our Dline this year. We had some great guys last year, but several were playing injured the last few games and weren’t playing anywhere near their peak. Same thing on the Oline. 

On 10/19/2020 at 7:04 AM, tailingpermit said:

The only reason we’ve lost to Utah State was because Rypien threw 27 interceptions, fumbled the ball 15 times and our starting running back was out with a concussion.  

That was the only game I can remember seeing BSU players actually physically intimidated by an opponent. The hits some of their players took in that game were brutal- four of which lead the ball being jarred loose. It was like a shark to blood by halftime with the score 45-10 and already out of hand at the break. Has BSU ever been manhandled like that in conference before or since?

As for this year....well, I am just happy to watch MWC football. I'm not sure what to make of the Aggies at this point, we look like we could be really good but being 14.5 point dogs makes it appear that no one else thinks that so maybe we're going to be just average. We'll see what new coordinators (yet again) bring to the table....it's hard to even think of any years in the past decade that we have had the same OC or DC from one year to the next.

There's so much change in scheme and coaching to start with that when you consider the normal player turnover (and this year's Covid impacts) it's hard to know what we'll see on the field.

What we do know - USU is deep and talented at RB. Should be solid and have depth at OL. Has two very good dual-threat QB's. Has good punt and kick returners. The offense will no longer operate at the breakneck pace it has been known for over the past few seasons.

What we don't know - Will USU LB's (a usual strength of the program) be improved? Can the thin DL hold up? Who will step up at DB now that both P5 transfers have left the team? Will the WR's pose enough of a threat to allow the running game to be effective?

USU fans no need to worry...and I think you'll like the reason why!

Through my exceptionally close contact with the BSU coaching staff - I was Chris Petersen's "coach speak" writer and came up with some great lines that you may have heard like, "It's hard" or "Really no, we do respect SJSU and expect to have a battle on our hands" - I've gotten the details on Boise State's Master Plan to humiliate...BYU!

Boise State is going to intentionally lose to both Utah State AND Air Force (by a lot!), then decimate BYU at home to eliminate hope for any glorious post-season for the Indy Borg!

You're welcome! :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

So apparently during an interview Hank said that Jack Sears was also getting 1st team reps at quarterback.  Harsin loves the 2 QB system for some reason.

Usually that is when there is a contrast in styles. Sears and Hillbilly have similar styles. 

4 of the last 7 years, the Boise backup had to start one or more games. I'm guessing it's more of a preparation thing

Well damn. Rumor is that we will not get to see what USU is week 1 as they are going to have several major contributors / slated starters out on Saturday due to C-19 testing results.

Should be a warm up scrimmage for BSU.

55 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

Well damn. Rumor is that we will not get to see what USU is week 1 as they are going to have several major contributors / slated starters out on Saturday due to C-19 testing results.

Should be a warm up scrimmage for BSU.

Where are you hearing this? I have a massive package. Would be a real bummer to be missing key pieces for the opener. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

6 minutes ago, Bob said:

If columbus is your QB then you will suck.

LOL.....you're the best.

Colombi is long gone and is now making his first start for Texas Tech this weekend. FWIW, he has looked really good so far in two relief appearances for them.