Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Really Apple? Reaaaaaly? iPhone 12

9 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

The specs may or may not improve your experience....I guess it just depends on what you do. We have more and more apps on our phones and those apps require more resources. I work in Oil & Gas and we have field ticketing apps that shorten our cash conversion cycle by letting the customer sign out in the field, we have apps that receive well measurements, our employees use it for time and attendance, we use it for out banking two-factor identification, and so on. Probably more importantly, when I'm at the fire station, all of our call notes come through an app on our phones (in addition to the the laptop on the truck), our HazMat response is through an app, and when I'm on the ambulance, we transmit vitals and pertinent information to the ER so they have it through an app (both on our phones and on iPads). I get that not everybody uses apps the same way, but to say there is no difference isn't true at all.....I can assure you that it does make a difference. 

Trust me, those apps are not even coming close to processing a tiny fraction of your phones processing power based on what you told me about them.  I used a $70 work phone given to me for the phone company I worked for (Verizon Visible) that had far more going on then that.

1 hour ago, Slapdad said:

The specs may or may not improve your experience....I guess it just depends on what you do. We have more and more apps on our phones and those apps require more resources. I work in Oil & Gas and we have field ticketing apps that shorten our cash conversion cycle by letting the customer sign out in the field, we have apps that receive well measurements, our employees use it for time and attendance, we use it for out banking two-factor identification, and so on. Probably more importantly, when I'm at the fire station, all of our call notes come through an app on our phones (in addition to the the laptop on the truck), our HazMat response is through an app, and when I'm on the ambulance, we transmit vitals and pertinent information to the ER so they have it through an app (both on our phones and on iPads). I get that not everybody uses apps the same way, but to say there is no difference isn't true at all.....I can assure you that it does make a difference. 

My pixel has apps too lol. 

Apple is a lifestyle brand. That's cool though. Knock yourself out.

9 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Apple is really freaking sweet if you are totally invested into the Apple ID ecosystem with a Mac, iPads and a Home Kit.  Android is not nearly so seamless and easy.  If you are just using the phone as a phone and have a PC and no other Apple devices....you are paying a lot to do nothing you can't do for a tiny fraction of the price.  Even the Camera is a generation behind in quality the the best Androids.

All the above posts are greek to me. I’ll bet I’m the only one on this board who only has a home land line. My wife has a $40 flip phone I borrow if I’m away and we need to stay in touch. Other than that we have no need for an expensive phone with all the bells and whistles. 

I am seven years into smart phones (little late i know) and own my second one. Bought the "tough phone", some kinda Kyocera brand, which does way more then I  would ever use.  Like the maps, and could not live without spotify. My daughter seems to always have the newest phone but she has a great job so whatever.

Unless you want a better camera, I feel like all these phones do pretty much the same thing.

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

I don't believe that I ever said that iPhones were the only phones that had apps....and I wasn't really waiting for your approval to use an iPhone, but now that I have it, a weight has been lifted.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Apple is really freaking sweet if you are totally invested into the Apple ID ecosystem with a Mac, iPads and a Home Kit.  Android is not nearly so seamless and easy.  If you are just using the phone as a phone and have a PC and no other Apple devices....you are paying a lot to do nothing you can't do for a tiny fraction of the price.  Even the Camera is a generation behind in quality the the best Androids.

I use some other Apple products & services, but I don't use everything that the make, only the ones that I feel are the best out there. The other Apple products and services that I do use are seamless, but I've also seen others that haven't been as seamless as Apple might have advertised. Do cheaper phones work fine? Sure. Are newer phones with the latest processors faster than the cheaper/older phones? Of course. Is it a huge difference? Probably not. Do specs matter? Of course they do. Claiming that the specs really don't matter is silly and spending $800 every three years to get the new phone with the new gizmos and toys is hardly going to break the bank. I could care less what phone anyone has (like I said, I've tried phones from five different companies), but I've always found that people like to hate Apple like people like to hate Starbucks for whatever reason. 

I'm using my Galaxy Note 8 I got 3 years ago and it's still ticking. It's a good phone and I haven't had any issues. My wife on the other hand was using a Galaxy 7 and it was a piece of junk. We finally got her a Moto G Stylus and it's great for the price we paid. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

13 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I had the launch version of the iPod Touch and yeah the iUniverse is a major PITA. Maybe some people like having to jump through hoops to access the content they paid for, but not for me. Whenever an iDevice given to me, it was given away to a relative or friend within a day.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

6 hours ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Hey, if you want to wear that green badge of shame in the text thread with your iPhone friends, knock yourself out. 

I have a big dick instead tho.

18 hours ago, renoskier said:

My kid told me it's going to be $2000!?

18 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

No - on website they have prices from $829 (64 gb) to $979 (256 gb). 

Only $37 per month over two years.

I just ordered the 12pro and am trading in my iPhone X. It’ll be $10 a month for 2 years but I will probably just pay it off early. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Not including the plug isn’t a big deal. I have quite a few of those.  Plus my surge protectors all have USB ports too. It’s not an issue imo. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

16 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I've had the $800 phones and the $50 phones.  Right now I'm using a $200 Moto G and can do everything on it the S series Galaxies can do for the most part.  Biggest difference is the camera.  The processing power is more than enough for anything you will ever do with a smart phone, screen resolution is great.

I can not fathom spending more than $400 for a phone again.  You just don't get much more for the price and the phone will be outdated in two years.

When I have the choice, I prefer a traditional computer desk setup: a real keyboard to type and a real mouse to navigate an full sized monitor, in a comfortable office chair and adjustable desk. To me that is much more preferable than pecking at miniscule letters on a tiny screen. If i had a cheapo phone, then I would need to hassle with a pc setup at my desk to do all that. But all my Galaxy phones double as desktop workstations thanks to Dex. No need to worry about syncing, missing features, or any other issues that arise when jumping from one environment to another.

Just now, Maynard Delecto said:

When I have the choice, I prefer a traditional computer desk setup: a real keyboard to type and a real mouse to navigate an full sized monitor, in a comfortable office chair and adjustable desk. To me that is much more preferable than pecking at miniscule letters on a tiny screen. If i had a cheapo phone, then I would need to hassle with a pc setup at my desk to do all that. But all my Galaxy phones double as desktop workstations thanks to Dex. No need to worry about syncing, missing features, or any other issues that arise when jumping from one environment to another.

I actually agree with you.  A laptop or desktop is a far better browsing and working experience.

Apple >>>>>> Samsung/Android when it comes to updates. 

We kept an old iphone 6 around to let the kids youtube their video game stuff, and it was updated up until a couple months ago. That's like five plus years of security updates. IME, youre lucky to get two years worth of updates from Android.

14 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

All the above posts are greek to me. I’ll bet I’m the only one on this board who only has a home land line.

Ill take that bet. 

You just said you use your wife's phone, so...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

I got a Tracfone Galaxy smartphone. And I only have that because the older flip phones were discontinued and no longer serviceable. Honestly, other than texting and making phone calls, I don't have much use for most of the other crap on there.

I do miss playing snake on the old Nokia phones though. Simple, yet challenging game.

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I actually agree with you.  A laptop or desktop is a far better browsing and working experience.

200%. A phone or a tablet is a Swiss army knife. It's rarely the best tool for any application, really.