Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Really Apple? Reaaaaaly? iPhone 12

5 minutes ago, CV147 said:

Gimmicky bullshit. People will still need to charge their damn phones. They'll just have to buy a charger separate. I wonder if Apple sells those.

What do you think lol?  Also the type of charging block it uses is different than older iPhone models.  So lets say you are upgrading from the 7 after making it last as long as you could, you will need to purchase a new charging block and a pair of air pods for about an additional $200.

22 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

What do you think lol?  Also the type of charging block it uses is different than older iPhone models.  So lets say you are upgrading from the 7 after making it last as long as you could, you will need to purchase a new charging block and a pair of air pods for about an additional $200.

The charging input is a standard USB C connector. There are plenty plenty of reasonably priced non Apple options for it.   I recently purchased a set of Jabra Elite75t true wireless earbuds for $145.00 which are better than AirPods IMO.  There are plenty of more than acceptable earbuds out there for far less.  If you need AirPods for some reason, feel free to pay the premium to show your friends that you're cool like that.

Jabra Elite 75t

Pull Quote:

"“Historically, I feel like they’ve really been at the forefront in terms of talking about climate change,” Zino tells The Verge."

And really, when it gets right down to it, isn't "talking" about climate change the most important thing ABOUT climate change?

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

Why does anyone still buy that overpriced shit?

How will all the other cool people know I buy overpriced shit if I don't buy the overpriced shit?

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

How will all the other cool people know I buy overpriced shit if I don't buy the overpriced shit?

Smart phones are, for most people, one of the most used items in our daily life, so I don't see $829-$1k as being that much...especially considering that most Samsung and OnePlus/Google smart phones are about the same price, so the alternatives aren't any cheaper. 

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

My kid told me it's going to be $2000!?

For two maybe. Apple learned when the huge price jump with iPhone X. 

41 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Smart phones are, for most people, one of the most used items in our daily life, so I don't see $829-$1k as being that much...especially considering that most Samsung and OnePlus/Google smart phones are about the same price, so the alternatives aren't any cheaper. 

For two maybe. Apple learned when the huge price jump with iPhone X. 

I've had the $800 phones and the $50 phones.  Right now I'm using a $200 Moto G and can do everything on it the S series Galaxies can do for the most part.  Biggest difference is the camera.  The processing power is more than enough for anything you will ever do with a smart phone, screen resolution is great.

I can not fathom spending more than $400 for a phone again.  You just don't get much more for the price and the phone will be outdated in two years.

17 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I've had the $800 phones and the $50 phones.  Right now I'm using a $200 Moto G and can do everything on it the S series Galaxies can do for the most part.  Biggest difference is the camera.  The processing power is more than enough for anything you will ever do with a smart phone, screen resolution is great.

I can not fathom spending more than $400 for a phone again.  You just don't get much more for the price and the phone will be outdated in two years.

I have no problem with Motorola. I just happen to happen to have settled into the Apple/iPhone universe and familiarity plays a big part with me. I've wandered a few times, going with a Samsung for a short time years ago and a Motorola Atrix back in 2012 or so, but it's just a pain in the ass to switch between different platforms.

But comparing the price of the Moto G and the iPhone 12 isn't an apples to apples comparison. The iPhone X is available for $418, but even the specs on that don't compare...the Moto G falls somewhere between the SE (which is free from you carrier these days) and the iPhone 8 ($350). The Motorola Edge is $1k and that would be a a better comparison to iPhone 12. 

6 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

I have no problem with Motorola. I just happen to happen to have settled into the Apple/iPhone universe and familiarity plays a big part with me. I've wandered a few times, going with a Samsung for a short time years ago and a Motorola Atrix back in 2012 or so, but it's just a pain in the ass to switch between different platforms.

But comparing the price of the Moto G and the iPhone 12 isn't an apples to apples comparison. The iPhone X is available for $418, but even the specs on that don't compare...the Moto G falls somewhere between the SE (which is free from you carrier these days) and the iPhone 8 ($350). The Motorola Edge is $1k and that would be a a better comparison to iPhone 12. 

The SE2 is a superior phone to the 8.  

And what do the "specs" get you.  Your life can not be possibly any better or any changed or your phone experience that different.  The specs on a $200 phone are still outrageous.  What are the specs and how do those specs impact your phone use?  Hint, they really do not.

I pre-ordered a Pro for my wife to replace her 8 Plus that's she's been using for over three years now. I was hoping to hold off on upgrading mine until these came out, but my X took a crap earlier in the year, so I'll be sticking with my 11 Pro Max for a while now. 

17 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

And what do the "specs" get you.  Your life can not be possibly any better or any changed or your phone experience that different.  The specs on a $200 phone are still outrageous.  What are the specs and how do those specs impact your phone use?  Hint, they really do not.

The specs may or may not improve your experience....I guess it just depends on what you do. We have more and more apps on our phones and those apps require more resources. I work in Oil & Gas and we have field ticketing apps that shorten our cash conversion cycle by letting the customer sign out in the field, we have apps that receive well measurements, our employees use it for time and attendance, we use it for out banking two-factor identification, and so on. Probably more importantly, when I'm at the fire station, all of our call notes come through an app on our phones (in addition to the the laptop on the truck), our HazMat response is through an app, and when I'm on the ambulance, we transmit vitals and pertinent information to the ER so they have it through an app (both on our phones and on iPads). I get that not everybody uses apps the same way, but to say there is no difference isn't true at all.....I can assure you that it does make a difference.