Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

ESPN to cut 300-700 jobs

7 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

It's not about "lefty" politics, or "righty" politics, it's about delivering a product.

The NBA is a business, the NFL is a business, ESPN is a business.  Businesses only survive because of their customers.  Once those businesses take a political stance, regardless of what it is, they just pissed off half of their customers.  That's bad business.  Leave the politics to Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, whatever.  Cover sports.  That's what made ESPN great.  I have no idea why they're running away from their successful formula.

It’s about lefty politics right now because that’s what’s being pimped. Obviously, most fans don’t want any kind of politics or anything else that has nothing to do with the sport.

kat.jpg

Just now, Nevada Convert said:

It’s about lefty politics right now because that’s what’s being pimped. Obviously, most fans don’t want any kind of politics or anything else that has nothing to do with the sport.

Fair enough.

On 10/18/2020 at 4:06 AM, Del Scorcho said:

why isn’t there a backlash for college football?

I seem to recall the University of Alabama football team marching in Tuscalusa a few months ago in favor of Black lives matter. Add in the University of Mississippi and Mississippi State with open political statements about their state flag. 

People upset about the NBA using their voice to better this country (a league that is 95% black), are simply on the wrong side of history IMO. They are the same type of losers still upset that Augusta National now allows female members. I don’t know why some people want to exist like is still 1950

Augusta now allows female members?  Unbelievable.  I need to cancel my membership.

15 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Racial inequality is left politics?  Certainly agree in a ideal world we would leave sports out of the political theater but the US is far from Ideal at the moment and politics in sport is not really new.

2 hours ago, Billings said:

Racial inequality is left politics?  Certainly agree in a ideal world we would leave sports out of the political theater but the US is far from Ideal at the moment and politics in sport is not really new.

some of our proudest moments in history involve political drama tied directly to sports:

- imagine deciding not to read an article or follow Jessie Owens in Berlin during the Olympics because those games were deemed too political

- how about Muhammad Ali and his stance against the Vietnam war. Would you not watch Muhammad Ali fight?

- how about the black power salute in the 68 Olympics in Mexico City calling attention to the lynchings in the US of black people and to draw attention to poverty and human rights (one of the most iconic photos in sports history). 

- imagine tuning into the 72 Olympics and listening to Jim McKay talk about the kidnapping of Israel athletes and deciding you weren't watching because politics are ruining sports?

- if you bought a ticket to a baseball game and found out it was Jackie Robinson day would go and celebrate it or decide it was too political? What about the celebration around the NFL for Pat Tillman. Those are our heroes, if given a chance I'm celebrating both men.

People who think you shouldn't mix politics and sports are the same clowns that were upset because a baseball players hair was too long 20 years ago or because an NBA player had a tattoo.

14 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

- how about the black power salute in the 68 Olympics in Mexico City calling attention to the lynchings in the US of black people and to draw attention to poverty and human rights (one of the most iconic photos in sports history). 

Not mentioned as often, but Lew Alcindor boycotted Mexico City for the exact same reasons.

And then there was the 80 Moscow Games.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 hours ago, Billings said:

Your lefty take on racial issues is political. Duh. Actually, there’s never been anything remotely close to this level as far as politics in sports is concerned. 

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

some of our proudest moments in history involve political drama tied directly to sports:

- imagine deciding not to read an article or follow Jessie Owens in Berlin during the Olympics because those games were deemed too political

- how about Muhammad Ali and his stance against the Vietnam war. Would you not watch Muhammad Ali fight?

- imagine tuning into the 72 Olympics and listening to Jim McKay talk about the kidnapping of Israel athletes and deciding you weren't watching because politics are ruining sports?

- if you bought a ticket to a baseball game and found out it was Jackie Robinson day would go and celebrate it or decide it was too political? What about the celebration around the NFL for Pat Tillman. Those are our heroes, if given a chance I'm celebrating both men.

People who think you shouldn't mix politics and sports are the same clowns that were upset because a baseball players hair was too long 20 years ago or because an NBA player had a tattoo.

Those are minor and temporary political incidents that don’t even come remotely close to the level of today. 

kat.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
On 10/18/2020 at 3:06 AM, Del Scorcho said:

why isn’t there a backlash for college football?

I seem to recall the University of Alabama football team marching in Tuscalusa a few months ago in favor of Black lives matter. Add in the University of Mississippi and Mississippi State with open political statements about their state flag. 

People upset about the NBA using their voice to better this country (a league that is 95% black), are simply on the wrong side of history IMO. They are the same type of losers still upset that Augusta National now allows female members. I don’t know why some people want to exist like is still 1950

I thought you said you hate the NBA and stopped watching years ago?

I tend to agree.  NBA style basketball is boring now.  I prefer college ball.

Guest #1Stunner
On 10/18/2020 at 7:29 PM, Headbutt said:

I completely disagree.  It's not the nature of the politics, it's the fact that they made sports political.  I wonder how all of those people on the right side of history would react if they tuned into an NFL game and saw "unborn lives matter" in the endzone.  Of course black lives matter, it's ridiculous to assume that there is more than a very tiny minority out there that don't think so.

The point is that I have a lot of TV I can turn on for political discussion.  I don't want that when I tune into sports, whether I agree with the politics or not.  Either way.

I agree.  ESPN spends too much time on politics and not enough time on Sports.  People are tuning out.

Even during a football broadcast, the announcers will stop discussing the game and go on a tangent 

Guest #1Stunner
On 10/19/2020 at 6:43 PM, Del Scorcho said:

some of our proudest moments in history involve political drama tied directly to sports

I agree .

The problem though is real "political moments" are few and far between. 

If every sports broadcast is manufactured into a "moment" then what you have is a political news show and not a sports channel.  People don't want that.

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

I agree .

The problem though is real "political moments" are few and far between. 

If every sports broadcast is manufactured into a "moment" then what you have is a political news show and not a sports channel.  People don't want that.

we had a couple of days of protests (rightly so) over police brutality. Nobody is saying politics need to a primary focus of sports. There hasn't been a political statements in 6 weeks that I'm aware of.

On 10/20/2020 at 12:19 AM, Nevada Convert said:

Your lefty take on racial issues is political. Duh. Actually, there’s never been anything remotely close to this level as far as politics in sports is concerned. 

Maybe if you consider the social media effect.  Like all of these previous sporting issues, history will rewrite this one too.  And they will rewrite it such that there was an "Obvious anti-racism" side. 

When the Disnified version of the Colin Kapernick movie comes out, half of the old people will lie to their grandkids about what side they were really on.

26 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

Maybe if you consider the social media effect.  Like all of these previous sporting issues, history will rewrite this one too.  And they will rewrite it such that there was an "Obvious anti-racism" side. 

When the Disnified version of the Colin Kapernick movie comes out, half of the old people will lie to their grandkids about what side they were really on.

That's ok. Kapernick doesn't even know what side he's on. Shine on UNR.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

On 10/17/2020 at 12:53 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

If it were only due to politics - hockey wouldn’t be down more than basketball. Sports just aren’t as interesting right now outside of the norms we are used to.

ESPN would be better if they went back to their 90’s ways - highlights and focusing on the sports with less talking head bs.

Guess you miss all the BLM references in all the pro sports and from the talking heads.  When BLM was on the mound in baseball that did it for me.  

18 hours ago, WAC_FAN said:

I know, blacks are starting to wake up and realize they’ve been taken for granted and are expected to fall in like with Dem Party bullshit. You can hate Trump, but he’s put more true substance on the table for blacks to have better lives than anyone in 50 years. He already accomplished that in his first term, and with ICE-T’s feedback on Trump’s Platinum Plan, if this happens, you’ll have to go back 100 years or more. ICE-T contacted both campaigns. Biden ignored his call, and Trump was very interested to hear his point of view, and Trump implemented it.

Like I said, the right side of history is empowering blacks to work hard with the tools offered to them to get started and get it done. The self esteem and happiness gained from these kinds of life experiences are how you get the ghetto turned around. Not the negative racist hateful perpetual victimization extremIst crybaby bullshit that Kaepernick pedals. There’s an original movie in 60’s and 70’s called the Black Panthers and Black Power movement. It was a total disaster. So now Colin wants to do a remake of it and expects it to be a hit? That’s the definition of insanity. Hate is like a cancer that spreads around in your brain until there is no more logic. He was a great kid raised by a great family, and then he chose a dark path of hate and racism, no different than a white kid going off to hate and racism with white power. 

kat.jpg