Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

ESPN to cut 300-700 jobs

1 minute ago, MWC Tex said:

How could you not when they are bleeding subscribers.  Especially now they gotten more political.

Exactly.  And your second point explains the first one.

According to data compiled by Sports Media Watch, golf’s U.S. Open was down 42 percent. The Kentucky Derby: 43 percent. The Stanley Cup finals: 61 percent. The vaunted NFL is down 13 percent early in its season. MLB’s division series were down 40 percent. 

If it were only due to politics - hockey wouldn’t be down more than basketball. Sports just aren’t as interesting right now outside of the norms we are used to.

ESPN would be better if they went back to their 90’s ways - highlights and focusing on the sports with less talking head bs.

12 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

If it were only due to politics - hockey wouldn’t be down more than basketball. Sports just aren’t as interesting right now outside of the norms we are used to.

ESPN would be better if they went back to their 90’s ways - highlights and focusing on the sports with less talking head bs.

Oh, i dont know...those Derby horses are all members of antifa, I hear...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, RSF said:

Oh, i dont know...those Derby horses are all members of antifa, I hear...

The horses are far more intelligent than members of antifa.

15 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Basically going out like MTV did back in the day.  

3 hours ago, Wyoguns said:

Basically going out like MTV did back in the day.  

They've actually done a pretty good job of diversifying their portfolio, getting into streaming and other ways to provide content.  The cable channel may go away but as a company they'll be fine.

I mean the easy solution for them to make money again is to STOP OVERPAYING FOR CONTENT

On 10/17/2020 at 12:53 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

No, there’s absolutely a backlash against the NBA for being so political. However, it’s not responsible for all of their declining numbers. 

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

No, there’s absolutely a backlash against the NBA for being so political. However, it’s not responsible for all of their declining numbers. 

why isn’t there a backlash for college football?

I seem to recall the University of Alabama football team marching in Tuscalusa a few months ago in favor of Black lives matter. Add in the University of Mississippi and Mississippi State with open political statements about their state flag. 

People upset about the NBA using their voice to better this country (a league that is 95% black), are simply on the wrong side of history IMO. They are the same type of losers still upset that Augusta National now allows female members. I don’t know why some people want to exist like is still 1950

6 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I seem to recall the University of Alabama football team marching in Tuscalusa a few months ago in favor of Black lives matter. Add in the University of Mississippi and Mississippi State with open political statements about their state flag. 

People upset about the NBA using their voice to better this country (a league that is 95% black), are simply on the wrong side of history IMO. They are the same type of losers still upset that Augusta National now allows female members. I don’t know why some people want to exist like is still 1950

IMO people have far closer ties to their college football team than average NBA fans do to any one basketball team.  Either because it is the face of the school they attended, or represents a city or town they were born in  that does not get much representation otherwise.  There is more emotion in the fandom.  NBA viewers tend to be just as likely to be fans of players as teams or just think the sport is fun to watch.  This might be too broad of a generalization but I think it's pretty accurate.

I watched college football all day yesterday and did not notice any social justice messaging.  It's rather in your face in the NBA.  It's not apples to apples.  I didn't mind the BLM and other branding in the NBA, it did not make the Denver come backs any less exciting and fun to watch.

16 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I completely disagree.  It's not the nature of the politics, it's the fact that they made sports political.  I wonder how all of those people on the right side of history would react if they tuned into an NFL game and saw "unborn lives matter" in the endzone.  Of course black lives matter, it's ridiculous to assume that there is more than a very tiny minority out there that don't think so.

The point is that I have a lot of TV I can turn on for political discussion.  I don't want that when I tune into sports, whether I agree with the politics or not.  Either way.

21 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

When I turn on the TV and watch a college game, I don’t see BLM crap on the FB field or in big font on their Jerseys on the sideline, or on billboards behind the bench. You might see little things here or there, but it’s not enough to feel like the sport is a fvcking commercial for Marxist bullshit and street rioting, looting & violence.

I haven’t looked, but I would imagine the NFL has taken some of a hit. They don’t pimp it nearly as bad as the NBA. The fans having to sit through a stupid black power national anthem has definitely pissed off those fans. 

Like I’ve been saying, pro sport owners have had to beg players to play this year, so they’re caving for this year. But they also know that next year they’ll have to go back to normal or there’s going to be a HUGE backlash. It’s a weird year, a lot of fans will put up with it now, but not next year.

Ultimately, the fans will decide what they want and they’ll get it. 

kat.jpg

5 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I completely disagree.  It's not the nature of the politics, it's the fact that they made sports political.  I wonder how all of those people on the right side of history would react if they tuned into an NFL game and saw "unborn lives matter" in the endzone.  Of course black lives matter, it's ridiculous to assume that there is more than a very tiny minority out there that don't think so.

The point is that I have a lot of TV I can turn on for political discussion.  I don't want that when I tune into sports, whether I agree with the politics or not.  Either way.

The same applies to ESPN. If I wanted lefty politics in sports highlights and shows, I’d be wanting an ESPDNC channel. Something tells me that’s never been a suggestion in their ‘new idea’ box. 

kat.jpg

Just now, Nevada Convert said:

The same applies to ESPN. If I wanted lefty politics in sports highlights and shows, I’d be wanting an ESPDNC channel. Something tells me that’s never been a suggestion in their ‘new idea’ box. 

It's not about "lefty" politics, or "righty" politics, it's about delivering a product.

The NBA is a business, the NFL is a business, ESPN is a business.  Businesses only survive because of their customers.  Once those businesses take a political stance, regardless of what it is, they just pissed off half of their customers.  That's bad business.  Leave the politics to Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, whatever.  Cover sports.  That's what made ESPN great.  I have no idea why they're running away from their successful formula.

14 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

When I turn on the TV and watch a college game, I don’t see BLM crap on the FB field or in big font on their Jerseys on the sideline, or on billboards behind the bench. You might see little things here or there, but it’s not enough to feel like the sport is a fvcking commercial for Marxist bullshit and street rioting, looting & violence.

I haven’t looked, but I would imagine the NFL has taken some of a hit. They don’t pimp it nearly as bad as the NBA. The fans having to sit through a stupid black power national anthem has definitely pissed off those fans. That “End Racism” in the back of the NFL end zones is a total eye sore. It could say “Cure Cancer”, etc. but it doesn’t matter. It just doesn’t belong there, and the only thing it accomplishes is annoying fans. Like a racist reads “End Racism” on a football field and then decides to change. LOL. 

Like I’ve been saying, pro sport owners have had to beg players to play this year, so they’re caving for this year. But they also know that next year they’ll have to go back to normal or there’s going to be a HUGE backlash. It’s a weird year, a lot of fans will put up with it now, but not next year.

Ultimately, the fans will decide what they want and they’ll get it. 

kat.jpg