Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super six

Fresno state cutting wrestling

26 minutes ago, Super six said:

Big loss for the valley.

Not really IMO.  We need to tighten our belt and focus on the main sports and cut as many of the “useless” sports (ie: women’s equestrian) as possible. 
Yes I know about the Title IX stuff but no unnecessary excess. 

18 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Not really IMO.  We need to tighten our belt and focus on the main sports and cut as many of the “useless” sports (ie: women’s equestrian) as possible. 

Athletics reports operating expenses for equestrian at between $200,000 and $225,000 per year. For that cost, athletics can report almost 40 additional female athletes for Title IX purposes.

As a comparison, men's tennis costs $125,000-$130,000 for 10 players (6 are actually international recruits). Women's tennis costs also about $125,000-$130,000 for 8 players (7 are international recruits).

I'm not a fan of equestrian but I think it helps provide a larger Title IX participation number offset for football at a decent cost.

9 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Athletics reports operating expenses for equestrian at between $200,000 and $225,000 per year. For that cost, athletics can report almost 40 additional female athletes for Title IX purposes.

As a comparison, men's tennis costs $125,000-$130,000 for 10 players (6 are actually international recruits). Women's tennis costs also about $125,000-$130,000 for 8 players (7 are international recruits).

I'm not a fan of equestrian but I think it helps provide a larger Title IX participation number offset for football at a decent cost.

However it works, but put most of the resources towards football as long as it's in compliance with Title IX.

57 minutes ago, Cincy said:

As we talked about when Boise cut wrestling, the loss is to the community as a whole, not necessarily the school.  Wrestling is a cheap sport and provides opportunity to a lot of kids that may not be able to afford to play baseball, travel for basketball and football, etc...

46 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

As we talked about when Boise cut wrestling, the loss is to the community as a whole, not necessarily the school.  Wrestling is a cheap sport and provides opportunity to a lot of kids that may not be able to afford to play baseball, travel for basketball and football, etc...

Yes but you gotta take care of #1 which is football. Not much survives without a strong football program. 

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

And Boise cut baseball one year after its reinstatement.  Talk about a double whammy

https://gobulldogs.com/news/2020/10/16/general-fresno-state-athletics-announces-program-changes.aspx

At the conclusion of the 2020-21 academic year, the following sports teams will be discontinued: varsity lacrosse, men's tennis and wrestling. Fresno State Athletics expects an overall annual budget savings of approximately $2.5 million, once all scholarships and other contractual obligations have been fulfilled.

Following the reduction, Fresno State will continue to sponsor 18 NCAA Division I sports (six men's sports and 12 women's sports), serving and supporting approximately 430 student-athletes, while also ensuring the University's ongoing commitment to gender equity

That sucks.  I hate to hear it, Bulldogs.  So many good wrestlers in the state, many who would never see college without it.  The more wrestling is eliminated in scholarship athletics, the less it will be prevalent in high school.  And I believe martial arts needs to be promoted to youth.

13 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

That sucks.  I hate to hear it, Bulldogs.  So many good wrestlers in the state, many who would never see college without it.  The more wrestling is eliminated in scholarship athletics, the less it will be prevalent in high school.  And I believe martial arts needs to be promoted to youth.

Want to make sure you do not raise a bully?  Get them a good martial arts instructor or coach at a young age.  Also helps them not be bullied.

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Want to make sure you do not raise a bully?  Get them a good martial arts instructor or coach at a young age.  Also helps them not be bullied.

C’mon didn’t you see those karate dudes in Karate Kid bully DanielSan all the time? Until Mr Miagi taught him wax on wax off.