Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

100-year-old Holocaust survivor compares Trump to Hitler

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

I’ll make a minor point here. I do not believe private self defense was the primary motivation of the 2A. I think they believed a militia system would limit the power of the federal government by reducing the need for a standing army. And the only way to ensure that state militias would be effective is if the right to bear arms was secured.

These were men who thought it a good idea to draw guns over petty disputes though, so I don’t believe they’d have a problem with current interpretation including self defense.

Nor do I.  My point is pretty much yours.  HMHB is arguing the 2nd Amendment was not primarily to limit the power of the federal government.  A power he believes is no longer a threat.

17 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Great, well my understanding is that the NFA regulated:

• Machine Guns
  • Hand Grenades
  • Silencers
  • Sawed Off Shotguns
  • Poison Gas
  • Missiles

Since Thomas Jefferson thought we didn't need to regulate any of this stuff then I agree with you.  Hopefully the Supreme Court with ACB will invalidate this law and we let all you guys run around with hand grenades, machine guns, and silencers.  We also hope they overturn Roe.

Democrats need to stop worry about these things so much and just let them happen.  That is the fastest way to a constitutional amendment once we have right wing militias grenading the president (like Anwar Sadat) and attacking the bureau of reclamation with machine guns.

Honestly, I am not really sure why Democrats defend these things against Thomas Jefferson's wishes.

You are getting there!  Yes, if you want take scary black guns away from scary black and white people there is a process in place!  Pass a constitutional amendment.  The government can't use chemical weapons so no reason for the populace to have them, though.   

Great news regarding abortion and an originalists like ACB, when clear legal constitutional text does not exist one must observe precedent!  ACB has also ruled with the pro choice crowd in Price Vs Chicago!  Under...guess whaaaaaat.  A right to privacy!!

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You are getting there!  Yes, if you want take scary black guns away from scary black and white people there is a process in place!  Pass a constitutional amendment.  The government can't use chemical weapons so no reason for the populace to have them, though.   

Great news regarding abortion and an originalists like ACB, when clear legal constitutional text does not exist one must observe precedent!  ACB has also ruled with the pro choice crowd in Price Vs Chicago!  Under...guess whaaaaaat.  A right to privacy!!

One of the biggest mistakes Democrats make is to insulate voters from the consequences of right wing crackpottery.  The filibuster should go away so that Republicans can easily take away social security, medicare, healthcare and we can awash ourselves with hand grenades at every sporting event.  

The American people really have little skin in the game and they can't seem to see the differences between the parties.  We should allow them to see the stark contrasts and I am guessing we would see voting like we have never seen in history.  All of this filibuster bullshit is a problem because it allows one party to have wild eyed and crazy ideas without ever getting them enacted nor punished for them by the voters.

Posted Image

17 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Nor do I.  My point is pretty much yours.  HMHB is arguing the 2nd Amendment was not primarily to limit the power of the federal government.  A power he believes is no longer a threat.

Or, keep up with me here, the second amendment protects the right to arm yourself for personal defense so the Republic not being in danger of a new Hitler matters not at all and is not a valid argument to repeal it.  The framers in dozens of writings and legal texts expressed this aspect of the second amendment.  SCOTUS has agreed in every 2A case this century.

3 minutes ago, Akkula said:

One of the biggest mistakes Democrats make is to insulate voters from the consequences of right wing crackpottery.  The filibuster should go away so that Republicans can easily take away social security, medicare, healthcare and we can awash ourselves with hand grenades at every sporting event.  

The American people really have little skin in the game and they can't seem to see the differences between the parties.  We should allow them to see the stark contrasts and I am guessing we would see voting like we have never seen in history.  All of this filibuster bullshit is a problem because it allows one party to have wild eyed and crazy ideas without ever getting them enacted nor punished for them by the voters.

Nah, Thomas Jefferson's ghost told me he disagrees with you and that protections exist to promote moderation.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nah, Thomas Jefferson's ghost told me he disagrees with you and that protections exist to promote moderation.

Moderates don't carry around chest belts full of grenades and banana clips. If he would have wanted the filibuster he would have put it in the constitution and his writings you reference.  Buh bye filibuster.

Posted Image

1 minute ago, Akkula said:

Moderates don't carry around chest belts full of grenades and banana clips. If he would have wanted the filibuster he would have put it in the constitution and his writings you reference.  Buh bye filibuster.

Guess what, when machine guns as you put it were legal, that never happened either.  In fact things were "more" peaceful.  

Gun laws were passed because the fed did not like wealth redistribution (bank robbers) and black people (See Regan).  If you favor wealth redistribution and are anti racist you should really see why I deserve to have a portable nuclear device.

Also, John Adams specter says he always hated straw man fallacy.  Cato is nodding in agreement.

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Guess what, when machine guns as you put it were legal, that never happened either.  In fact things were "more" peaceful.  

Gun laws were passed because the fed did not like wealth redistribution (bank robbers) and black people (See Regan).  If you favor wealth redistribution and are anti racist you should really see why I deserve to have a portable nuclear device.

Also, John Adams specter says he always hated straw man fallacy.  Cato is nodding in agreement.

Adams was a lunatic. :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I would also point out that the time honored filibuster that we are talking about was made possible because of a man WHO DID NOTHING WRONG!!!

Burr was a nightmare.

45 minutes ago, Akkula said:

My chest belt has ninja throwing stars and banana chips.

Cuz thats how moderates roll...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.