Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

100-year-old Holocaust survivor compares Trump to Hitler

One might think Ruth could look back with some sense of contentment and comfort at a lifetime of triumph over tragedy, but that’s not the case. In our recent conversation, she lamented the nation’s current crises, saying “I’ve seen a lot in my 100 years, but I don’t know why I had to stick around for all of this. It’s awful”.

Ruth, who is marking her 100th birthday on September 30th, and isn’t overly thrilled with the occasion. As she told me a few weeks ago, “I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody”.

The woman who was forced to listen daily to Adolf Hitler’s lunatic rants on the radio for seven years in the 1930s was blunt: “When I hear Trump speak, I hear Hitler again. When I see his rallies, it’s like what I saw in Nazi Germany”.

So I told Ruth in 2016 I thought she was exaggerating, that the Holocaust was an event unique in its horror, that the unhinged diatribes of Donald Trump, as racist and moronic as they might be, were not equivalent to genocide.

Four years later, I’ve come to realize Ruth is right. Donald Trump still is not the Adolf Hitler of 1944. But he legitimately can be compared to the Hitler of 1934 – and that, perhaps, is by design. Legal filings from Trump’s first divorce revealed he owned and studied a book of the Führer’s early speeches. A new analysis by prominent civil liberties attorney Burt Neuborne cites twenty ways Trump’s words and actions are similar to those of Hitler in the early years of the Third Reich, from the attacks on mainstream media and objective truth to huge rallies, mass detention, ultranationalism and demonization of all opponents.

In recent weeks, as early voting begins, Trump has repeatedly refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses in November. This is no surprise to Ruth, who told me earlier this month that “Trump is like a dictator. He’s crazy like Hitler was”.

Despite the barbed wire and caged children, a detention center in Texas is not Dachau in BavariaBut when an eyewitness such as Ruth Nussbaum with a century of wisdom and lived experience warns us of the similarities, we ignore her at our own peril.

https://forward.com/scribe/455507/100-year-old-holocaust-survivor-compares-trump-to-hitler/

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

11 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Good rule to follow.  You ONLY get to use the Hitler comparison if Hitler actually tried to murder you.

My grandparents didn’t move to the U.S. from Germany until 1952. And my grandmother used to always say that Americans are naive in thinking that it can’t happen here. That under the right circumstances it could happen most anywhere.

I always had a difficult time imagining it. 

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

My grandparents didn’t move to the U.S. from Germany until 1952. And my grandmother used to always say that Americans are naive in thinking that it can’t happen here. That under the right circumstances it could happen most anywhere.

It would take something extraordinary.  Our institutions are much stronger, more well entrenched and protected than Germany's were post WWI.  Something that would lead to a complete shut down of the economy to the point people were going hungry and the supply chain completely.  I could see a (more) serious pandemic leading to some scary stuff, given how we saw things break down with this one and the selfish nature of many of us shine through.  

10 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It would take something extraordinary.  Our institutions are much stronger, more well entrenched and protected than Germany's were post WWI.  Something that would lead to a complete shut down of the economy to the point people were going hungry and the supply chain completely.  I could see a (more) serious pandemic leading to some scary stuff, given how we saw things break down with this one and the selfish nature of many of us shine through.  

Agreed. And I want to be careful in not being the guy that draws a direct line between Hitler and Trump. But you can see how it happens. The onslaught of propaganda, the nationalistic fervor, the general absence of reason. Crackdowns on protests under the guise of law and order. A pandemic. None of these things that we have seen have risen to the perfect storm of 1930s Germany, but it shows us the seeds that can grow into something far uglier under a weaker system or more severe pressures.

16 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I agree with you, but I think there has been some serious erosion in some of those institutions, particularly in the last 4 years.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

43 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I agree with you, but I think there has been some serious erosion in some of those institutions, particularly in the last 4 years.

I agree. The Senate already completely failed to do their job and have been co-opted by Trump.   Trump isn’t Hitler but he is absolutely a neo fascist authoritarian.  4 more years of Trump and a Republican Senate will absolutely corrode those institutions further.

17 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I agree. The Senate already completely failed to do their job and have been co-opted by Trump.   Trump isn’t Hitler but he is absolutely a neo fascist authoritarian.  4 more years of Trump and a Republican Senate will absolutely corrode those institutions further.

How exactly did the Senate fail in their job ? 

Guest #1Stunner

Comparing Donald Trump to Hitler is over the top embarrassing.

Trump is a buffoon, but he's not close to Adolf Hitler, nor is any current, major politician in America.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Agreed. And I want to be careful in not being the guy that draws a direct line between Hitler and Trump. But you can see how it happens. The onslaught of propaganda, the nationalistic fervor, the general absence of reason. Crackdowns on protests under the guise of law and order. A pandemic. None of these things that we have seen have risen to the perfect storm of 1930s Germany, but it shows us the seeds that can grow into something far uglier under a weaker system or more severe pressures.

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

The assumption here seems to approach this as if the threat of such a thing would come from the Right Wing (as opposed to the Left).  I don't know about that.

Bottom line, when we get to the point where free speech is restricted, or free expression is restricted (either by the Government or Private Business who control the speech forums), then we should be concerned.

But highly doubt that a Hitler Scenario would ever happen in the United States. 

11 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Comparing Donald Trump to Hitler is over the top embarrassing.

Trump is a buffoon, but he's not close to Adolf Hitler, nor is any current, major politician in America.

I'm sure the 100-year-old Holocaust survivor will take your criticism of her to heart. 

2 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Anybody else watched "The Wave" in middle school?

18 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

The assumption here seems to approach this as if the threat of such a thing would come from the Right Wing (as opposed to the Left).  I don't know about that.

Bottom line, when we get to the point where free speech is restricted, or free expression is restricted (either by the Government or Private Business who control the speech forums), then we should be concerned.

But highly doubt that a Hitler Scenario would ever happen in the United States. 

No one made any assumption in regard to the left or right but you. But any apt comparison to Hitler's regime would likely be to a right-leaning fascist movement. As it makes sense that a Stalinesque comparison would be made for something from the left.

As a side note, private businesses have controlled "speech forums" since the beginning of the printed word. And we have more free speech, not less, than at just about any time in our history, in large part because those private businesses (social media) exist. We can argue whether that has had a corrosive effect on our dialogue, though.

Guest #1Stunner
17 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I'm sure the 100-year-old Holocaust survivor will take your criticism of her to heart. 

^^^ Stupid Comment

Who cares what she says---it's her opinion, not the GOSPEL TRUTH, that can't be challenged.   

The only people posting this and nodding their heads in approval to this silly comparison are people with Donald Trump Boners, like yourself, who have this fantasy that Buffoon Trump is a secret Hitler 2.0 or something. 

Her comparison of Donald Trump to Adolf Hitler is silly and embarrassing.   There is no comparison of Buffoon Trump to one of greatest murderers / oppressors in World History.   Hitler ran on the platform of attacking the Jews... there is no comparison. 

Better than ask her, I would just ask some of my own family members, who were imprisoned in German camps , but they died already.  Maybe @Joe from WY has a family member still alive that he could ask.

3 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

So I told Ruth in 2016 I thought she was exaggerating, that the Holocaust was an event unique in its horror, that the unhinged diatribes of Donald Trump, as racist and moronic as they might be, were not equivalent to genocide.

Four years later, I’ve come to realize Ruth is right. Donald Trump still is not the Adolf Hitler of 1944. But he legitimately can be compared to the Hitler of 1934 – and that, perhaps, is by design. Legal filings from Trump’s first divorce revealed he owned and studied a book of the Führer’s early speeches. A new analysis by prominent civil liberties attorney Burt Neuborne cites twenty ways Trump’s words and actions are similar to those of Hitler in the early years of the Third Reich, from the attacks on mainstream media and objective truth to huge rallies, mass detention, ultranationalism and demonization of all opponents.

In recent weeks, as early voting begins, Trump has repeatedly refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses in November. This is no surprise to Ruth, who told me earlier this month that “Trump is like a dictator. He’s crazy like Hitler was”.

Despite the barbed wire and caged children, a detention center in Texas is not Dachau in BavariaBut when an eyewitness such as Ruth Nussbaum with a century of wisdom and lived experience warns us of the similarities, we ignore her at our own peril.

https://forward.com/scribe/455507/100-year-old-holocaust-survivor-compares-trump-to-hitler/

Been saying this very same thing in other threads. He’s a beginning Hitler.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.