Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

Are you better off today than 4 years ago. 56% says yes

24 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Interesting you would say that.  Republicans had a 29% better off rate with Obama.  Democrats had 71%.  I was trying to find the numbers for this one between parties to see who was more full of shit, but can't find it.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/188867/half-say-better-off-eight-years-ago.aspx?g_source=Economy&g_medium=newsfeed&g_campaign=tiles

ETA:  Makes you question your statement soup.  That was a poll if they were better off in 2016 than at the bottom of the greatest recession since the great depression, yet 66% of republicans say they were worse off.  66% said they were worse off with a restabilized economy, job growth back to normal or better in almost every sector, and stock market back to pre-recession or higher.  Smells like some bullshit to me.

You just made my point. Either tribe is going to say they are worse off under the opposing tribe. And I was being honest, Im about the same before and after Trump. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

You just made my point. Either tribe is going to say they are worse off under the opposing tribe. And I was honest, Im about the same before and after Trump. 

Well, no point has been made, because we haven't seen the party percentages for this year.  What I do see is somehow 66% of republicans were worse off in a rebounded economy than in the pit of the recession.  Is it that unlikely that 71% of all Americans were better in that scenario?  So, as I see it, Republicans were full of shit, but "Brown man bad".  Now I want to see if we can find out if this survey proves your claim, which very well may be the case, though unless the numbers are in the high 60's, there is more likely a chance that they are being honest than what the Republicans said in 2016, which is just laughable.  Let's see that split, please post if you find it, I like laughing at both parties bullshit hypocrisy.

At every point in my adult life, I have been better off financially than I was 4 years previous. Has nothing to do with who was POTUS at the time.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

37 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

There are a large percentage of Democrats that would never admit to being better off simply because of Trump no matter what the poll was about. 

Kinda like all the Republicans' who are apparently blind to the fact that the economy improved every year for the last 6 years of Obama's presidency.

4 hours ago, Bob said:

Fascinating. Usually any given incumbent president's reelection would be a foregone conclusion with numbers like these.

His foreign policy is sterling. He's proven he can build a powerful economy. Most are improving their lives and are satisfied. He solved illegal immigration. Why would you jeopardize that by voting in a party that wants to radically change America. But, but, but he's a buffoon. People can't see the forest through the trees

In order:

1. Ffs... He doesn't have a "policy." :rolleyes: His "foreign policy" was to back out of every multilateral agreement we had entered under President Blackestien. His "foreign policy" has been to shit all over the alliances my family spilled blood to build and protect, to back out of multilateral trade agreements which provided leverage against China, to give the world a big "f*ck you" by pulling out of a near-unanimous and non-binding commitment to battle climate change, and to suck the authoritarian dick of every strongman who's interests oppose our own. He hasn't brought troops home, but rather re-stationed them to whomever was the highest bidder - there are more troops in theater now than there were four years ago (Link). "Foreign policy..." what a f*cking joke. The man can't even sring together two coherent thoughts let alone define a policy. Hell, I doubt he could spell "policy."

2. He was given the reins to the strongest economy in our nation's history. Every. single. "win" - unemployment, market growth, et al - was a continuation of long wave trends established under the Obama administration. This shit's been demonstrated and backed up by DOL charts so many f*cking times it would be utterly redundant to do so again here. And his response to be handed the reins of the greatest-ever economy in our history was to increase national debt with unfunded tax cuts, all while increasing the trade deficit with his "policies" (Link). And let's not forget Obama created more jobs in his last three years than B¡tchtits Magoo did in his first three years in office (Link). In fact, Trump owns the worst job losses on record for any American president (Link).

3.  "Solved illegal immigration?" Lulz. You mean by royally f*cking up this country to the point that homeless refugees seeking to escape third world despots no longer want to come here? Or by instituting a policy by which ALL illegal immigrants are persecuted and prosecuted and have their children ripped apart from them? Or by unconstitutionally stealing congressionally appropriated funds intended to help active duty service members and their families just to fulfill a dumbAF campaign promise?

GTFO with your cultic shit you Kool-Aid© drinking c*ntmonkey.  :rolleyes:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

There are a large percentage of Democrats that would never admit to being better off simply because of Trump no matter what the poll was about. 

There are a large percentage of Republicans that would never admit to being better off under Obama, simply because of Obama, no matter what. Tribalism is a powerful drug.

I can say, without question, that I have done better financially under the last two Democratic Presidents than I have done under the last two Republican Presidents. That said, I agree with Mano (?) that those four administrations had very little to do with the level of my financial success.

Here's a great analogy of where we are at right now as a country, Donald Trump not withstanding. 

Imagine you work in an office where your boss, who you think is a jerk, and he needs your help to finish his projects. If you help him, he keeps his job and maybe even gets a promotion — and, even worse, you and your friends may lose your jobs. If you refuse to help him, you become his boss, and he may get fired. Now add in a deep dose of disagreement — you hate his projects, and believe them to be bad for the company and even the world — and a bunch of colleagues who also hate your boss and will be mad at you if you help him. Think you’ll help him under those conditions?

That’s basically our political system right now. Bipartisan cooperation is often necessary for governance but electorally irrational for either party to offer.

I'm better off because I bought cardboard when it was 14 cents a ton.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

44% of people haven't seen progress?  Interesting.  

According to Trumpistan, they don't matter.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

You just made my point. Either tribe is going to say they are worse off under the opposing tribe. And I was being honest, Im about the same before and after Trump. 

I've gone batshit crazy over the last four years. But, financially I'm okay.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

I am better off now than I was 4 years ago because I made decisions that predicted the current situation under a dumpster fire administration.

ME too.  I moved money when the outbreak hit china and retired to get the hell away from the C virus in schools.   Quietly hiding on an island.  Life is good

6 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

I am definitely better off today than 4 years ago due to me making some sound financial decisions and having amazing experiences (most of them not even occuring in this country) that helped me improve as a person.  It has nothing to do with who the president is.

If we're talking financially, I'm as well off today as I was four years ago and it does have something to do with the president. Many of my competitors for consulting work have been refusing to meet with people in person whereas I've been willing to provided everybody is masked up so I've been getting a bigger slice of a smaller pie.

That said, I feel very sorry for small retail business owners. Even on foo-foo Ventura Boulevard ~15% of the shops are now vacant and in the almost 20 years we've lived in this area that has never been the case before. North of us the vacancy rate is probably double that. (The stock market has probably never been such a deceptive indicator of the health of the economy and Trump's stupidity has a lot to do with it.)

1 hour ago, Billings said:

ME too.  I moved money when the outbreak hit china and retired to get the hell away from the C virus in schools.   Quietly hiding on an island.  Life is good

I didn't go that far, but by the end of the Obama admin I smelled a recession coming (wasn't sure when or why, but I knew it was coming) and when Trump was elected I knew it would be worse than I thought initially and there would be some crisis that compounded it. My household actively worked for sustainability and stability both in our professional lives and in our expenses. We're in a position to ride out whatever economic storm we're in the midst of right now. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

24 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I didn't go that far, but by the end of the Obama admin I smelled a recession coming (wasn't sure when or why, but I knew it was coming) and when Trump was elected I knew it would be worse than I thought initially and there would be some crisis that compounded it. My household actively worked for sustainability and stability both in our professional lives and in our expenses. We're in a position to ride out whatever economic storm we're in the midst of right now. 

Yea.  Well I did just retire to Hawaii so the island thing seems like a bit extreme way to say it :)   Being debt free was a huge goal but that was set before the Trump disaster.  I got hammered during the dot com bust and learned a few lessons on that one.  Moving investments was a deliberate change and a reaction to trump and how I thought he would respond to an eventual virus outbreak here.

5 hours ago, Bob said:

Fascinating. Usually any given incumbent president's reelection would be a foregone conclusion with numbers like these.

His foreign policy is sterling. He's proven he can build a powerful economy. Most are improving their lives and are satisfied. He solved illegal immigration. Why would you jeopardize that by voting in a party that wants to radically change America. But, but, but he's a buffoon. People can't see the forest through the trees

He solved illegal immigration?  Nice!  What was the solution?  6 new miles of shiny wall has to be part of it.  

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

"Zero." What a great description of George W. Bush's economic prowess!

More like wars which the Democrats also supported and the mortgage crisis initiated by the Democrats supporting home loans to those that couldn’t afford them.