Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wyoguns

Pokes vs Wolf Pack Game Thread

Just now, TheJackel said:

So the joke is that the UNLV football team would be called the... UNLV football team?  You’re right, hilarious.  Let’s get this guy on Comedy Central. 

WTF?!! Why so sensitive about your racist name and mascot?

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

WTF?!! Why so sensitive about your racist name and mascot?

Wow.  What a pivot.  Thank you for agreeing with my point though. The original joke doesn’t work because the name (UNLV/UNLV Football) he wants to change it to is already used en masse, so if we moved on from ‘Rebels’ and just said UNLV it’s not that big of a leap since it already happens. I knew you’d get there in the end. 

It is a great match-up. UNR having one of their better teams in a few years and Wyoming having another mediocre team that thinks they are better than mediocre. We'll find out which fan base is wrong and maybe a little more... we'll all have to deal with the winner thinking they've arrived 

16 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

It is a great match-up. UNR having one of their better teams in a few years and Wyoming having another mediocre team that thinks they are better than mediocre. We'll find out which fan base is wrong and maybe a little more... we'll all have to deal with the winner thinking they've arrived 

Pretty sure mediocre Wyoming damn near beat you in Boise with Tyler Vanderwall as the starting QB last year. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Back from a shetty offense

Phil’s computers predicts they’ll be approx. 35 ppg (close to Boise’s 2019 output.) Returning top 6 OL and 10/11 starters on offense has to count for something. Also - 3rd WR - only starter not returning is replaced by Melquan Stovall who was pretty good as a true freshman.

On defense Nevada returns 8 of top 11 tacklers. I think their continuity and experience is going to help.

However, they did get blown out by Wyoming last year 31-3.

If Bohl can keep churning out the greatest players in the world on his Wyoming teams, then they shouldn’t have a problem.

Wyoming returns 7 on offense (also entire OL and 9 who’ve started). If Chambers is healthy, Wyoming’s running game will be scary good. 

They only return 3 or 4 starters on defense though (and lost a lot of staff). They still are projected to be good but still pretty unknown and depth could become an issue at spots.

My prediction is somewhere around 35-24 Wyoming win.

3 hours ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

Last year, Nevada's offensive line play was akin to that of 5 cardboard cutouts. I think that bodes well for the COVID-19 athletic season. Big things ahead for the Pack!

And now we're down another starter:

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/miles-beach-the-wolf-packs-starting-left-tackle-has-retired

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Phil’s computers predicts they’ll be approx. 35 ppg (close to Boise’s 2019 output.) Returning top 6 OL and 10/11 starters on offense has to count for something. Also - 3rd WR - only starter not returning is replaced by Melquan Stovall who was pretty good as a true freshman.

On defense Nevada returns 8 of top 11 tacklers. I think their continuity and experience is going to help.

If Bohl can keep churning out the greatest players in the world on his Wyoming teams, then they shouldn’t have a problem.

Wyoming returns 7 on offense (also entire OL and 9 who’ve started). If Chambers is healthy, Wyoming’s running game will be scary good. 

They only return 3 or 4 starters on defense though (and lost a lot of staff). They still are projected to be good but still pretty unknown and depth could become an issue at spots.

Last year, a lot of guys on both sides of the ball that normally wouldn't play, got a lot of playing time due to starters going down all season on both sides. So, the experience will be there for a lot of guys, but how the new DC and company does is the big question.

Honestly, our biggest loss on offense was the WRs. And considering about how non-existent our passing game was, we don't really have much more room to fall.  But our running game... Yeah. Plus, we have 2 very good running QBs. One slightly moreso than the other, but the other one showed more touch when passing. So, hard to know which one will get the nod.

8 hours ago, The Brent Vigen Diet said:

Pretty sure mediocre Wyoming damn near beat you in Boise with Tyler Vanderwall as the starting QB last year. 

Congratulations on giving Boise's back up QB his first and only win of his career. Hey, but at least it was close, right? 

14 hours ago, TheJackel said:

So the joke is that the UNLV football team would be called the... UNLV football team?  You’re right, hilarious.  Let’s get this guy on Comedy Central. 

No. The joke is someone who's team's very mascot and name is threatened by trending societal mores calling someone else sensitive over their team's otherwise innocuous name. That someone being you.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

3 hours ago, Bob said:

Who is NV QB? I forgot

Carson Strong, who will hopefully make a big leap as a sophomore.

He showed some flashes last year, but having such poor pass protection made life difficult for a starting freshman. He has so much talent around him at RB and WR, let's hope the o-line is drastically improved or it could be another long season. At 6-4 195, he has the size and arm to be very good.

19 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

First of all. I do love PS magazines. I have every one since 2003. I reference them often. He does a lot of analysis that is great and I use those, but I weight some other things differently than he does and so the conclusions aren't always the same. UNR is a lot like Hawaii was in '17 (who I predicted to tank and they did. They won three games the next season). Hawaii had a 7 win Bowl season in '16 and returned almost everyone. Problem is, the wins didn't match their team statistically. That team got outgained on average by their opponents and outscored by almost 10 points on average. They just happened to win the close games and get killed in their losses. This UNR team looks a lot like that team... only a lot worse. Statistically, they were one of the worst teams in the conference, but pulled out a slew of close games and got destroyed in the others. They were terribly inefficient but somehow caught some breaks. I'll show you.

I'll give you their stats and where that ranked in the conference. Also, know that they missed both Air Force and Boise State which were easily the best two teams in the league.

Defense - gave up 6.07 yards per play. That ranked 9th in the league
Offense - 5.02 ypp, 11th
YPP defference - 1.05, 12th

Scoring Offense - 21.3, 11th
S Defense - 31.9, 3rd worst
Sc Diff - 10.6, 11th

Pass eff defense - 147.47, 11th
Carson Strong pass eff - 121.8, less than 1% point above NM QB and Wyoming's RB that happens to throw the ball from time to time. Well behind everyone else.

It would be amazing if they end up with a winning record. Plus, since PS published his mag, they have lost a starting LT and a DL that was the 2nd leading TFL on the team.

6 hours ago, bigd said:

Carson Strong, who will hopefully make a big leap as a sophomore.

He showed some flashes last year, but having such poor pass protection made life difficult for a starting freshman. He has so much talent around him at RB and WR, let's hope the o-line is drastically improved or it could be another long season. At 6-4 195, he has the size and arm to be very good.

Carson was statistically terrible last year

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Carson was statistically terrible last year

Yes he was, and we had a horrible start to the season (outside of the Purdue miracle). Those losses to Oregon and Hawaii were some of the most painful games I've ever witnessed. There is no doubt that we were really bad last season, and had a greatly inflated record. However, this was not the same team at the end of the season as it was at the beginning.

Strong was a freshman QB that was playing injured with an absolutely awful o-line. While his stats for the whole season are pretty bad, by the end of the year he was playing pretty well. The win against SDSU was what really turned our season and confidence around and helped us somewhat salvage what was an otherwise pitiful season. Here are his stats in our last five games (including our programs first ever road win over a top 25 team):

image.png.ed0b9b2f1b0f11264619de5bd9b0d548.png

131/200, 1359 yards, 66%, 271.8ypg, 8TD/1INT

Now, compare that to his prior 4 games (he was injured and replaced my Malik Henry for a couple games):

76/123, 635 yards, 62%, 158.8ypg, 0TD/6INT

image.png.a37ca8d013a2e243d7f8a98954908b7c.png

I honestly have no clue what to expect this season, but I'm cautiously optimistic that we could surprise.