Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wyoguns

Pokes vs Wolf Pack Game Thread

17 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

We always look real on game one. Someone said games 2-5 will be 180 degrees different. That’s no lie in the Novell era. Play calling is still a head scratcher sometimes. I wonder if we use analytics to any degree. That said, the defense looked pretty good against a solid run game. Aztecs look like a machine as usual.

With you on play selection- some real "Head Scratchers". D looked good at times- RB solid- DLine beastly.

17 minutes ago, Rev McQuervo said:

With you on play selection- some real "Head Scratchers". D looked good at times- RB solid- DLine beastly.

Don’t forget those receivers. Doubs,  Turner and Cooks are the best trio Nevada has ever had imo. Then you throw in all those freshmen. Embarrassment of riches at that position.

20 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Don’t forget those receivers. Doubs,  Turner and Cooks are the best trio Nevada has ever had imo. Then you throw in all those freshmen. Embarrassment of riches at that position.

Whoa, now. I love our receivers and I love the enthusiasm, but Rishard Mathews, Brandon Wimberly, and Virgil Green would like a word.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

4 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Whoa, now. I love our receivers and I love the enthusiasm, but Rishard Mathews, Brandon Wimberly, and Virgil Green would like a word.

True enough. I forget that the 3 of them overlapped a year. I always think of Wimberly more of a Fajardo era guy. But yes, it's too early to say this crew is better but from a physical standpoint, I think our current trio is superior even considering the current offensive scheme. That other group had the benefit of having arguably the best o lines and qbs in nevada history, not to mention HOF coach.

7 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

True enough. I forget that the 3 of them overlapped a year. I always think of Wimberly more of a Fajardo era guy. But yes, it's too early to say this crew is better but from a physical standpoint, I think our current trio is superior even considering the current offensive scheme. That other group had the benefit of having arguably the best o lines and qbs in nevada history, not to mention HOF coach.

I’m excited as hell to watch them, no doubt. And with Tau added to the mix, let’s go!

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

10 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

6 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Who else was with Alex V?

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Who else was with Alex V?

That was before I was watching the Pack but according to sports reference Cornell west, Damond Wilkins, Steve Michenry, and a freshman Geoff Noisy. I was thinking Noisy, Insley, and a one armed mannequin would be a damn good trio as well.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/nevada/1995-roster.html

It was a good game. Fun to watch at times even. I really think the team was deflated in the first half after the Chambers injury. The players had to be gutted for him. I was how everyone in this thread reacted, the other players have watched him work his way back and I am sure were really excited for him to be back and he is the leader of this team. I think it must have really been a blow to have that happen on the third play. They were able to get things back together at half time and were able to come back. Our defense has some holes on the DL and secondary and I wasn't impressed with our OL pass protecting. Lets see how we do moving forward and build on that second half.

I'm not even going to complain about Vigen. It is what it is and after every game I see "Fire Vigen". The playcalling is part of the game plan and part of Bohls DNA. Its like being a fan of a Mike LEach team and complaining after every game that he throws the ball too much and would it hurt to line up under center and run the ball some. I prefer more wide open football but it is what it is with Bohl and Vigen.  

13 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

That was before I was watching the Pack but according to sports reference Cornell west, Damond Wilkins, Steve Michenry, and a freshman Geoff Noisy. I was thinking Noisy, Insley, and a one armed mannequin would be a damn good trio as well.

Alex Van Dyke, 2nd Round pick, Geoff Noisy, and Trevor Insley all had a cup of coffee in the NFL. Not a bad group of WRs for a Big West club. 

13 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Indeed. And Cornell West and McHenry were both really good receivers. Geoff didn't do much that year, but he developed into one hell of a receiver (and an even better guy), obviously. And Insley had the best hands I've ever seen.

21 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Alex Van Dyke, 2nd Round pick, Geoff Noisy, and Trevor Insley all had a cup of coffee in the NFL. Not a bad group of WRs for a Big West club. 

Noisy set the record for most receptions in a D-I college career, and held the record for all of one year before Insley broke it the next season. Of note, Noisy was a chemical engineering major. Smart guy. 

27 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Thanks, it was Insley I was wondering about. Couldn't remember if he was in the same era as Van Dyke.

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Indeed. And Cornell West and McHenry were both really good receivers. Geoff didn't do much that year, but he developed into one hell of a receiver (and an even better guy), obviously. And Insley had the best hands I've ever seen.

I’ve heard that about Insley from a lot of people. If the qb could throw it anywhere close to where he could get his hands on it, he’d catch it.

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Not at all. With that crop, and then on the ground a decade later Mitchell, Hubbard, Lippincott, Kaep, Tau Jefferson...Ault had his flaws but he knew how to move the ball at a genius level.

One point about the game.  The 'incomplete pass' call was pivotal.  The refs clearly got the call wrong because the call they made was an impossibility.  The call was the endzone throw that Hearn ended up with but was called incomplete.

It seems obvious, but if a ball doesn't touch the ground and if neither player goes out of bounds then it is either a catch or a pick (it can't be neither). The only decision that should have been available was did the receiver establish possession before Hearn ended up with the ball. The ultimate decision of incomplete was clearly wrong because it was not a possibility.  I dont believe that many reviewing that play would have concluded that the receiver established possession, therefore it had to be a pick.

14 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

One point about the game.  The 'incomplete pass' call was pivotal.  The refs clearly got the call wrong because the call they made was an impossibility.  The call was the endzone throw that Hearn ended up with but was called incomplete.

It seems obvious, but if a ball doesn't touch the ground and if neither player goes out of bounds then it is either a catch or a pick (it can't be neither). The only decision that should have been available was did the receiver establish possession before Hearn ended up with the ball. The ultimate decision of incomplete was clearly wrong because it was not a possibility.  I dont believe that many reviewing that play would have concluded that the receiver established possession, therefore it had to be a pick.

Just playing devil's advocate... It could be that the on-field officials in real time thought the ball hit the ground and called it incomplete. Then when they took it replay, they didn't have a clear and obvious view of one player or another having possession so they had to stick with what they called on the field.

I think Wyoming got screwed on that play... but there were many other aspects of the game that are to blame for the loss than that 1 bad call.

40 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Just playing devil's advocate... It could be that the on-field officials in real time thought the ball hit the ground and called it incomplete. Then when they took it replay, they didn't have a clear and obvious view of one player or another having possession so they had to stick with what they called on the field.

I think Wyoming got screwed on that play... but there were many other aspects of the game that are to blame for the loss than that 1 bad call.

It was def the wrong call. But after watching the replay a few more times, that’s prob a TD for Nevada without the PI. So... if Wyo “deserved” to win that game than I’d feel bad about it. I do feel bad for that QB. What a horrible deal for that kid. 

4 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

That was undoubtedly the best group of WR's ever. AVD was gone by the time a freshman Insley started at Oregon, but AVD, Wilkins, Noisy, and Insley all came in to beat the records set by the guy before him. Insley still holds the yards for a season record. This is a damn good group though. 

2 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I’m not blaming the loss on the one call.  It was pivotal but there are always many plays in a game that impact the outcome.

But, as far as the call, it doesn’t matter what the on field officials saw because there is absolutely no dispute that the ball never hit the ground.  Thus to avoid an impossibility that couldn’t be the right call, the review should have been to decide whether it was a TD or an interception and nothing else because nothing else was a possibility.  There can be no argument that the officials got the call right because their call was an impossibility.  

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

It was def the wrong call. But after watching the replay a few more times, that’s prob a TD for Nevada without the PI. So... if Wyo “deserved” to win that game than I’d feel bad about it. I do feel bad for that QB. What a horrible deal for that kid. 

I agree that it was pass interference according to the textbook rule.  That said, there are numerous pass interferences both offensive and defensive that aren’t called in any given game and under the current rules, PI isn’t reviewable.  

Gut wrenching for Chambers.  Third year in a row with a season ending injury.  But he will hopefully be back next year as a 4th year Sophomore.