Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wyoguns

Pokes vs Wolf Pack Game Thread

9 minutes ago, bigd said:

Yes he was, and we had a horrible start to the season (outside of the Purdue miracle). Those losses to Oregon and Hawaii were some of the most painful games I've ever witnessed. There is no doubt that we were really bad last season, and had a greatly inflated record. However, this was not the same team at the end of the season as it was at the beginning.

Strong was a freshman QB that was playing injured with an absolutely awful o-line. While his stats for the whole season are pretty bad, by the end of the year he was playing pretty well. The win against SDSU was what really turned our season and confidence around and helped us somewhat salvage what was an otherwise pitiful season. Here are his stats in our last five games (including our programs first ever road win over a top 25 team):

image.png.ed0b9b2f1b0f11264619de5bd9b0d548.png

131/200, 1359 yards, 66%, 271.8ypg, 8TD/1INT

Now, compare that to his prior 4 games (he was injured and replaced my Malik Henry for a couple games):

76/123, 635 yards, 62%, 158.8ypg, 0TD/6INT

image.png.a37ca8d013a2e243d7f8a98954908b7c.png

I honestly have no clue what to expect this season, but I'm cautiously optimistic that we could surprise.

My god. I remembered hating last season but 2020 had made me forget why other than losing the cannon but winning the fight against the (redacted cuz racism). That four game stretch was an abomination.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:06 PM, TheJackel said:

Time to mark the “UNR Fans Being Sensitive About Their Name” square on your MWC Football bingo card

I wouldn’t exactly say I’m sensitive about it or it upsets me or anything, but it’s been a decade now. I can understand non-sports fans not knowing, but as a sports fan, how can you not know? 

Best game of the week and my two (second/third) most favorite program's in the MGC.

This will be a Dog Fight, pissed its their first game, wish they were playing later in the season.

I pick Wyo to win the Mtn-Nevada will be a beast this year as well yet Aztecs will prevail (D is only concern otherwise our O will be better than the past 4 years).

Safe game to both programs- I will be on a 840 mile ride in Baja and will miss...

18 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Chambers and Williams both to play for WYO according to Coach Bohl.  Could we see them on the field at the same time?

I have always had in the back of my mind an RPO offense where when the qb makes his read to hand-off or not, either option still has the pass option. You have WR running routes on both sides of the field and if for example Williams and Chambers are bot hin the back field, Williams can either keep the ball or hand it to Chambers if he keeps it it is a regular RPO where he can run it or pass but if he hands it to chambers, chambers also has the option to pass it. I'm sure there are many reasons why it won't work but a guy can dream. I will continue to think I am an offensive genius unitl proven wrong.

10 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

Unpopular opinion here but I wish they’d just give the keys to Williams and let him go with it unless Chambers has made HUGE strides in his ability to pass....

Yea disagree.  Chambers is more dynamic and is a proven leader.  Both are certainly pro prospects based on their abilities...just that Chambers' prospects likely lies at the tight end position.  We have two weapons, so let's use them both!

48 minutes ago, tspoke said:

I have always had in the back of my mind an RPO offense where when the qb makes his read to hand-off or not, either option still has the pass option. You have WR running routes on both sides of the field and if for example Williams and Chambers are bot hin the back field, Williams can either keep the ball or hand it to Chambers if he keeps it it is a regular RPO where he can run it or pass but if he hands it to chambers, chambers also has the option to pass it. I'm sure there are many reasons why it won't work but a guy can dream. I will continue to think I am an offensive genius unitl proven wrong.

Haha I'd love to see it...but let's be realistic, we have Vigen and Bohl calling plays so I don't think we would be seeing something very creative like that.   Also - keep in mind that Chambers still wears QB pads.  But I do think we might see plays where Williams runs onto the field and Chambers lines up outside with a quick throw to him and an RPO option based on the safety's reaction.

Chambers is 8-2 as a starter if I remember right.  Would love to see Williams get some reps but have to ride with Chambers as the starter, he has earned it.

40 minutes ago, gold-n-brown said:

Chambers is 8-2 as a starter if I remember right.  Would love to see Williams get some reps but have to ride with Chambers as the starter, he has earned it.

It’s hard to argue against chambers because all he does is win but....Williams has a way bigger upside in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Wyoguns said:

It’s hard to argue against chambers because all he does is win but....Williams has a way bigger upside in my opinion.

Could be, but all I want to do is win.

Can either Wyo QB throw? I know TVW couldn’t throw for shit. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

9 hours ago, madmartigan said:

9 hours ago, madmartigan said:

TVW...strong arm, poor accuracy, poor decisions, little mobility. There is a reason he is at Idaho State.  

Chambers is Tim Tebow which isn’t a bad thing (guy won a National Championship and a heisman just wasn’t a pro quarterback).  Williams has the tools you look for in a pro QB prospect but let’s see how he develops.  

21 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

TVW...strong arm, poor accuracy, poor decisions, little mobility. There is a reason he is at Idaho State.  

Chambers is Tim Tebow which isn’t a bad thing (guy won a National Championship and a heisman just wasn’t a pro quarterback).  Williams has the tools you look for in a pro QB prospect but let’s see how he develops.  

Chambers' accuracy improved throughout the season until he got hurt....his last two game he was 15-24, 250ish 3TD, 1INT..    That tends to happen when you're a freshman.  Same with Levi.   He was under .500 in the bowl game, but proved he is a player.   Combined the two of them are something like 12-2 as starters?  And both have Josh Allen skillsets.   I like what we have at QB.....both big, young and talented.

Most of the losses the last two seasons were when TVW was at QB......you pointed out the reasons why above.  

Wyoming released their current 2-deep today and a few surprises:

-Chambers gets the nod over Williams (not a huge surprise)

-Treyton Welch (true Soph.) jumps to the #1 TE position above the two 6'7" guys

- Garret Crall is not listed at DE, still has a foot issue that knocks him out this week.

-Freshman gets the start at fullback over senior (but with our RB depth, I feel like the FB position will be closer to 100% blocking than previous years)

- I was slightly surprised that Titus Swen wasn't listed as a 3rd RB option or as an "OR" backup

9 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Wyoming released their current 2-deep today and a few surprises:

-Chambers gets the nod over Williams (not a huge surprise)

-Treyton Welch (true Soph.) jumps to the #1 TE position above the two 6'7" guys

- Garret Crall is not listed at DE, still has a foot issue that knocks him out this week.

-Freshman gets the start at fullback over senior (but with our RB depth, I feel like the FB position will be closer to 100% blocking than previous years)

- I was slightly surprised that Titus Swen wasn't listed as a 3rd RB option or as an "OR" backup

Wyo is a young team. 

Odd stat. Bohl and Norvell have the exact same winning percentage. Granted Bohl has been at Wyo twice as long as Norvell has been at Nevada.

Norvell’s father passed away this week. Gotta throw him some love because he’s a good dude and his dad was a well respected person.