Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anon5251042

Mountain West Announces 2020 Football National Television Package

14 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Same old CBSSN for SDSU.   Why does Hawaii only show two games on here? Is this typical?  I don't recall missing a game between them and SDSU before

Hey...you guys did get one game on FS1/FS2 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

21 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Same old CBSSN for SDSU.   Why does Hawaii only show two games on here? Is this typical?  I don't recall missing a game between them and SDSU before

To earn its full $3.1 million PPV payout from Spectrum, UH is obligated to make seven games available for the PPV package.  With two games in this shortened eight-game season being televised nationally by CBS/Fox, Spectrum will get only six.  That will cut UH's payment from Spectrum by $400,000, to $2.7 million.

However that $400,000 revenue hit won't necessarily fall solely on UH, since the MWC has agreed that it will make up whatever revenue differential exists between what UH earns from the Spectrum PPV deal and whatever the other 11 MWC members are earning on average from the CBS/Fox TV deal.  So if the average payout to MWC schools is any higher than $2.7 million, UH will get a cut of CBS/Fox money to make up the difference, thereby slightly reducing the average payout to the other 11 MWC schools.

Given all of the above, I'm guessing that both UH and the conference did their best to convince CBS and Fox to minimize the number of UH games they're showing nationally this year.

One other note for those of you unfamiliar with the Spectrum PPV arrangement: it only applies to viewers in the Hawaii market.  Viewers anywhere else in the world will be able to view the games via Spectrum's streaming service.  I believe the streaming option is free, but if it's not the cost will be nominal.

2 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

To earn its full $3.1 million PPV payout from Spectrum, UH is obligated to make seven games available for the PPV package.  With two games in this shortened eight-game season being televised nationally by CBS/Fox, Spectrum will get only six.  That will cut UH's payment from Spectrum by $400,000, to $2.7 million.

However that $400,000 revenue hit won't necessarily fall solely on UH, since the MWC has agreed that it will make up whatever revenue differential exists between what UH earns from the Spectrum PPV deal and whatever the other 11 MWC members are earning on average from the CBS/Fox TV deal.  So if the average payout to MWC schools is any higher than $2.7 million, UH will get a cut of CBS/Fox money to make up the difference, thereby slightly reducing the average payout to the other 11 MWC schools.

Given all of the above, I'm guessing that both UH and the conference did their best to convince CBS and Fox to minimize the number of UH games they're showing nationally this year.

You'll pay those travel subs and LIKE it dammit. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Well... guess I'll be looking to change streaming providers again. Currently, I only get FS1, and no CBSSN. So, it looks like Im shifting the YouTubeTV if I want to watch MWC football, and basketball as well. I'll have to google it again, but I think YouTubeTV offers FS1/2, and CBSSN, and the ESPN's.

edit: from I could find out on YTTV, they offer FS1, but not 2, and they ddon't offer CBSSN. DirecTV does offer FS1/2, but only offers CBSSN on their high dollar package, the 285 channel package... damn!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

9 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Carson State like Boise,  has been a late kick staple for CBSSN. 

Not much has changed in that respect.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

9 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

One other note for those of you unfamiliar with the Spectrum PPV arrangement: it only applies to viewers in the Hawaii market.  Viewers anywhere else in the world will be able to view the games via Spectrum's streaming service.  I believe the streaming option is free, but if it's not the cost will be nominal.

Spectrum can kick rocks 

Related image

14 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Well... guess I'll be looking to change streaming providers again. Currently, I only get FS1, and no CBSSN. So, it looks like Im shifting the YouTubeTV if I want to watch MWC football, and basketball as well. I'll have to google it again, but I think YouTubeTV offers FS1/2, and CBSSN, and the ESPN's.

edit: from I could find out on YTTV, they offer FS1, but not 2, and they ddon't offer CBSSN. DirecTV does offer FS1/2, but only offers CBSSN on their high dollar package, the 285 channel package... damn!

I've been using YouTube TV for a couple of months now. I get FS 1 and 2, but that might be a location thing?  I do get CBSSN as well. The unlimited DVR is awesome - I record games I'd never watch normally and then speed through them. If you're cheap like me, sharing with other people is great on YTTV - I never get their recommendations or recordings. I should caveat that I'm a big Google user (Pixel, Chromecast), but the people who have iPhones seem to like it too. 

16 minutes ago, mondego said:

I've been using YouTube TV for a couple of months now. I get FS 1 and 2, but that might be a location thing?  I do get CBSSN as well. The unlimited DVR is awesome - I record games I'd never watch normally and then speed through them. If you're cheap like me, sharing with other people is great on YTTV - I never get their recommendations or recordings. I should caveat that I'm a big Google user (Pixel, Chromecast), but the people who have iPhones seem to like it too. 

This.  I set all NFL and college football games to record.  When I have time, I'll watch whatever game I want.  There's even a cool (new?) feature I recently discovered for watching just the "key" plays - it filters the game down to scoring plays, big gains, sacks or other tackles for loss, etc. - kind of an extended highlight reel of the top 20-40 plays from the game.

Guest #1Stunner
47 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

The Hawaii deal needs to be reworked and their FB Content included in our main TV deal. It's pretty dumb that most Hawaii home games can't/won't be seen by most of the country. 

I agree it is odd, and seems like Hawaii is trading exposure for a pittance more.

But Hawaii just signed another 5-year deal.

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2020/09/05/sports/uh-extends-tv-deal-with-spectrum/

The University of Hawaii has a new, more lucrative five-year TV rights extension with Spectrum but will have to deliver at least seven football games a year to earn the full $3.1 million yearly average.

UH was contracted to receive $2.54 million for the final year of the agreement that expired June 30.

The new deal, which was announced Thursday, runs through July 2024 with an option for a one-year extension that carries a 3% increase in rights fees.

The contract carries a $400,000 deduction for each football game that it is short. If four games are not made available UH gets just $750,000, according to the agreement.

57 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

The Hawaii deal needs to be reworked and their FB Content included in our main TV deal. It's pretty dumb that most Hawaii home games can't/won't be seen by most of the country. 

Considering the home games start after midnight in "most of the country", no one is going to see them anyway.

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

Considering the home games start after midnight in "most of the country", no one is going to see them anyway.

UH's home games start at 6:00 p.m. HST.  Depending on Daylight Savings Time, that's either 9:00 p.m. Pacific and 10:00 p.m. Mountain or 8:00 p.m. Pacific and 9:00 p.m. Mountain.

I know that's past some people's bedtime though.

18 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

I have Hulu live and get CBSSN , all the ESPN  channels, FS1 and FS2, SEC NETWORK,ACC NETWORK, pretty much all the  channels I need for sports except for PAC 12 NETWORK. 

19 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

UH's home games start at 6:00 p.m. HST.  Depending on Daylight Savings Time, that's either 9:00 p.m. Pacific and 10:00 p.m. Mountain or 8:00 p.m. Pacific and 9:00 p.m. Mountain.

I know that's past some people's bedtime though.

Yeah, but Aztec said "most of the country" and they live in the Central and Eastern time zones. 

Not calling you out Mongoose, but folks here have been bitching about TV deals as long as I've been here and I'm sure longer than that. As many times as the economic forces of demographics are brought up as the primary driver of our media contracts, most just refuse to acknowledge or understand. They look to blame something or more often someone, usually Thompson, instead of facing reality.  /rant

19 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

FuboTV has all the MWC channels. I’ve been with them for two years now. Zero complaints.

Fs1/2, cbssn, and all the espn’s? Whats your cost?
Same question for @wyo 1 please? Im paying $45 right now for sling orange&blue

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."