Ibanez

Is the P5 breakaway coming sooner than we thought?

1 hour ago, ole blu dude said:

I went to the U, but when I got transferred to Logan I met some aggie coach's, and became a fan of USU as well as the U. I'm a long time USU donor, and season ticket holder, I go to a Ute football game once and awhile.

In Utah we can love more than one don't you know

I will allow dual allegiances given you are a U of U alum and now live in Logan. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ole blu dude said:

I went to the U, but when I got transferred to Logan I met some aggie coach's, and became a fan of USU as well as the U. I'm a long time USU donor, and season ticket holder, I go to a Ute football game once and awhile.

In Utah we can love more than one don't you know

"Why settle for just one"

The Polygamy Porter Ale motto.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

I did believe Boise State is leaving. I still do but this season has really screw es everything up. And if FOX and CBS continues to lay out the extra cash to make everyone happy Boise State might be content staying as always having an outside shot at the access bowl.

I don't believe there would be a split. Not til the end of the new TV deals anyway. So what? Probably a decade away? And I do think all of the P5 teams are safe except WSU and Rutgers. There the B1G hates Rutgers and wished they could have a do over for either Missouri or Kansas. But me picking teams to get dropped was me making a point. Even trying to select teams conferences would drop....even those teams would make no sense to cut  Hence why I said they would add a few more and not drop some.

I had read somewhere about a break off by the P5. Similar to this one but they would want 80-85 teams. Don't remember the specifics but it had to do with scheduling and travel. And they were talking to B1G Presidents and other B1G officials.

I spent several hours looking for the article and have never found it again.

Oh, since I guess you are a Utah fan the reason I said Utah might get chosen is just because you were one of the new schools in the conference. I'm sure if every conference member was told locked three or four to drop Utah gets chosen by every one. Cal schools are gonna stay together. Zona schools will as well. And Oregon and Washington probably care more about each other than their younger brothers. That's just the way it is.

In terms of long standing partnerships, I would agree. But, one must also remember, the Utes fill their stadium every week. Only two other PAC schools can make that claim. 

This move towards "A League of their Own" is about money and eyeballs.  I guarantee Utah offers far more of that than Wazzu and Oregon State. Hence, they are out of the P5.

SEC - cuts Vandy and Arkansas

Little 12 - Two of Iowa State, K State, Tex Tech or TCU.

B1G -  Three of Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, or Illinois. The last three can remain members of the Academic Big Ten, but they offer zero eyeballs, athletic competitiveness, or value to the new P5. Nebraska ? Sorry, the only relevance you used to have was football. You're just filler for a conference schedule now.

ACC 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

I did believe Boise State is leaving. I still do but this season has really screw es everything up. And if FOX and CBS continues to lay out the extra cash to make everyone happy Boise State might be content staying as always having an outside shot at the access bowl.

I don't believe there would be a split. Not til the end of the new TV deals anyway. So what? Probably a decade away? And I do think all of the P5 teams are safe except WSU and Rutgers. There the B1G hates Rutgers and wished they could have a do over for either Missouri or Kansas. But me picking teams to get dropped was me making a point. Even trying to select teams conferences would drop....even those teams would make no sense to cut  Hence why I said they would add a few more and not drop some.

I had read somewhere about a break off by the P5. Similar to this one but they would want 80-85 teams. Don't remember the specifics but it had to do with scheduling and travel. And they were talking to B1G Presidents and other B1G officials.

I spent several hours looking for the article and have never found it again.

Oh, since I guess you are a Utah fan the reason I said Utah might get chosen is just because you were one of the new schools in the conference. I'm sure if every conference member was told locked three or four to drop Utah gets chosen by every one. Cal schools are gonna stay together. Zona schools will as well. And Oregon and Washington probably care more about each other than their younger brothers. That's just the way it is.

BS.  The way the T.V. and B1G channel is structured Rutgers was a huge financial win for them.  Far more than Missouri or even Kansas would have been.

Whatever you are reading on twitter is nonsense and in no way reflects what the Presidents feel.  Rutgers is an elite Academic institution in the NYC market. 

• Like 1
Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The idea that the B1G would voluntarily kick out a team that counts as being in the NYC market is the most absurd thing.

Do we count Joser as an 8-million person media market?  Relevance does have an impact, too.

Just now, bsu_alum9 said:

Do we count Joser as an 8-million person media market?  Relevance does have an impact, too.

No, it does not in the dolla dolla bills in this example.  

"Cable operators pay an estimated "in-market" rate of $1 per sub per month, more than double the $0.44 fees charged outside the conference's home markets. Cablevision alone serves 2.64 million video customers in New York, New Jersey and southwestern Connecticut"

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

No, it does not in the dolla dolla bills in this example.  

"Cable operators pay an estimated "in-market" rate of $1 per sub per month, more than double the $0.44 fees charged outside the conference's home markets. Cablevision alone serves 2.64 million video customers in New York, New Jersey and southwestern Connecticut"

Okay my point was dumb.  Just checked revenue by athletic department and Rutgers is in the top 40.

Either way Boise is probably not on the autonomous side.

image.png.a88b8dbf6158ec443ef343b6fe6a6297.png

2 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Okay my point was dumb.  Just checked revenue by athletic department and Rutgers is in the top 40.

Either way Boise is probably not on the autonomous side.

image.png.a88b8dbf6158ec443ef343b6fe6a6297.png

There were a lot of articles at the time about the monetary value of having a B1G footprint in that media market beyond just T3 which I cited.  I will see if I can find more.  Bottom line is every B1G team makes more by having Rutgers in the conference then they would without, which is why they were invited.  

• Cheers 1
19 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

BS.  The way the T.V. and B1G channel is structured Rutgers was a huge financial win for them.  Far more than Missouri or even Kansas would have been.

Whatever you are reading on twitter is nonsense and in no way reflects what the Presidents feel.  Rutgers is an elite Academic institution in the NYC market. 

It was The Athletic. They have always seemed reputable to me.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

"Why settle for just one"

The Polygamy Porter Ale motto.

my old t-shirt also says "take some home to the wives" but I don't see that anymore :shrug:

• Haha 1
On 10/14/2020 at 2:24 AM, Spaztecs said:

Its not a stretch to see the Big Least portion of the ACC get cut loose nor to see Oregon St and Wazzu go.

Virginia Tech and Miami are not going anywhere. Mayhaps BC, Pitt or even Louisville would be demoted. However I doubt Louisville is going anyplace.

15 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Rutgers and Maryland control their markets.  Within 24 hours of them joining the B1G, the B1G was added on all local cable TV packages in the NYC and DC markets within 24 hours.  Their addition was worth millions to the B1G literally instantly.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
5 hours ago, WAC_FAN said:

Rutgers and Maryland control their markets.  Within 24 hours of them joining the B1G, the B1G was added on all local cable TV packages in the NYC and DC markets within 24 hours.  Their addition was worth millions to the B1G literally instantly.

This exactly.

You know who in a theoretical breakaway would lose their spot in the Big 10?

Nobody.

BTW...Just because 40-odd schools said yes to a potential (football) breakaway doesnt mean thats the number it would end up being.  Any big state school, even one with a historically shitty football team, is going to be part of it.  Any school willing to spend the bucks is going to be part of it.  And that includes schools that voted 'no'.  'Cuz anonymous survey answers arent binding.

14 hours ago, lakesbison said:

yea Big 10 wont hurt.

I wanna see 8 team playoff

5 Power 5 champ teams

2 G5 teams

1 Wild Card P5 team

Not a chance they'd ever give two automatic bids to the G5.  We'd be lucky to get just one.  There will likely be 2 P5 wild cards and 1 auto bid G5 going to the highest ranked G5 team.