Ibanez

Is the P5 breakaway coming sooner than we thought?

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Wonder if insiders are talking about thinning the P5 ranks some - There's some P5 schools that just got lucky & might be cut loose 

I’m told they’re wanting to kick out several P5s in order to invite CSU. That Denver alumni base of 1 million is VERY attractive. 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Wonder if insiders are talking about thinning the P5 ranks some - There's some P5 schools that just got lucky & might be cut loose 

So that just tells us 61% of the Big-5 schools would (or at least think they would) be invited to the ultimate top league. So 65 schools in Big-5 +Notre Dame, 61% of that rounds to 40 schools.  25 schools (ie the oregon states) would get stuck with the little-5.

Taking the top 40 schools out of D1 is actually what I think SHOULD happen.  They can have 8 five teams conferences. Play everyone in your conference twice (8 games) + 4 OOC game. Then have a 16 team playoff with 8 conference champs and 8 at large bids. 5

Meanwhile the leftover 90 current fbs schools (current little 5 plus 25 big 5 that get left out) can add the top 30 fcs schools. Create 12, 10 team conferences based off geography. Play 9 conference games and 3 OOC. 16 team playoff with 12 conference champions and 4 at large bids. 

Honestly I think that would almost be better for ALL involved parties. The best athletes can go to the top 40 schools and get paid and the rest of us can stop the crazy arms races and just focus on the sport. Sure there will be some tv money for us but the various majority will go to the top 40 schools.  

• Cheers 1
17 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

I’m told they’re wanting to kick out several P5s in order to invite CSU. That Denver alumni base of 1 million is VERY attractive. 

Nope.  We're hanging with the BYU plan.  Leadership has expressed a desire to not move to the top, just like BYU.

Interpretation:  Neither of us is going, let's make it OUR idea.

How could the number of power conferences be reduced to P4? Currently,
each P5 conference occupies an area of the country. If the number is
reduced to 4 either one area will be without a power conference or
there will be fewer power schools in the area and teams will play in a
distant conference. For example consider the impact if the ACC or the
PAC was eliminated.

This is nothing but a ploy by the Pac12 to get out of their twice annual beat down by the Carson St Aztecs.

Phuck em

6 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Therein lies the real truth of the matter. I have no doubt the P5 culls out the historic underperformers.

We'll see 4x12 Conferences + ND within five years. 

I also see this going nowhere because they want to be part of NCAABB. That is the one bargaining chip the NCAA has in all this. The March Madness Contract.

2 hours ago, since1670 said:

How could the number of power conferences be reduced to P4? Currently,
each P5 conference occupies an area of the country. If the number is
reduced to 4 either one area will be without a power conference or
there will be fewer power schools in the area and teams will play in a
distant conference. For example consider the impact if the ACC or the
PAC was eliminated.

Its not a stretch to see the Big Least portion of the ACC get cut loose nor to see Oregon St and Wazzu go.

The FB season is slow and boring right now, and you always see writers doing stories like this to drudge up more traffic. The P5’s were supposed to have broken away 7 years ago.

The P5’s are always looking for more home games to make money on, and they all might start shying away from playing FCS schools and instead more G5’s. FCS schools also embarrass the crap out of them when they beat P5’s. That just kind of hurts their narrative that they’re so much more advanced than FCS and G5’s. 

7 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Not only that, they have incredibly loyal students that put their money where their mouth is. CSU has more student season ticket holders than Alabama, USC, Ohio St., Norte Dame and every other FBS school. 

Also, CSU has other impressive things going for them. How many schools out there are BLM and LGBTQ certified? CSU isn’t, but they’re committed to getting to it down the road. So that’s really great news to hear there’s a commitment on that, and frankly, it really is a game changer.  

I almost hope there's a full breakaway in football.  That means all of the P5 schools will have to suffer through balanced schedules (no more playing 7 games at home and just 5 on the road), and on average half of them will have losing records every season (no more padding the victory column with wins against G5 and FCS opponents with a fraction of their budget and a huge recruiting disadvantage).  Their annual ticket sales revenue will drop, a lot more of their fans will end each season pissed off, and many more of their coaches will find themselves on the hot seat.

There may be a short-term boost to their TV revenue, but I think the goose that lays the P5’s golden eggs is the image of superiority they’ve cultivated by rigging the existing system in their favor while promoting the myth of a level playing field.  A lot of them will look a lot less superior on a true level playing field.  How will that affect their casual fan support and attractiveness as TV properties over the long run?  My guess is, not positively.

Meanwhile the G5 could implement its own NCAA national championship playoff and take on the old AFL’s role, arguing that its top teams are competitively on par with the top P5 teams and that the P5 schools are cowards for dodging head-to-head competition.  In 10 or 15 years we could see mounting pressure for a college version of the Super Bowl matching the P5 and NCAA champions.  To me a breakaway eventually leading to that outcome would be far more appealing than preserving the stacked-deck status quo.

So who gets cut? I'll take a guess:

ACC- Probably no one. But Louisville and Boston College are most likely.

SEC- Again, no one. If someone was in trouble I'd imagine it's Vanderbilt and Mississippi State.

Big 12- Iowa State, Kansas State, and TCU are the most likely. West Virginia and Baylor are also not safe.

B1G- Rutgers would definitely get cut. They shouldn't be in the B1G anyway. It's ridiculous. Can't see no one else getting cut but Illinois is probably disposable.

PAC-12- Washington State is gone. Oregon State is most likely gone. Utah  shouldn't feel safe. I also think Cal and Stanford should entertain the possibility that no one cares about them but those two are probably safe.

The only Independent that matters is Notre Dame. I remember listing an article last year about what P5 conferences, coaches, and AD's think of BYU and I'm convinced BYU is a G5 team that is just more respected than the others but not really liked.

So, that is 16 teams that could be dropped from the P5 and that was a struggle and some of those are not likely. Wake Forest would be protected by the other Carolina schools, realistically Cal, Stanford, and Vandy would be protected. Northwesteen and Purdue, protected  The only sure fire cuts are Rutgers and Washington State. For those who has traveled and has been in Pullman, it's insane that WSU is a power 5 school.

I think the most likely scenario is the P5 schools expand to about 80 and then break off. I don't see them leaving out the academies. I just don't. Especially Army and Navy. Also, BYU won't get left out. You take 10 or so more schools that will be Independent or form a conference and that would be it.

11 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Therein lies the real truth of the matter. I have no doubt the P5 culls out the historic underperformers.

We'll see 4x12 Conferences + ND within five years. 

I also see this going nowhere because they want to be part of NCAABB. That is the one bargaining chip the NCAA has in all this. The March Madness Contract.

If the P5 break away from the NCAA in FB...........no reason they couldn't create their own CBB tournament & do to the NCAA what the NCAA did to the NIT - leave the NCAA as the second option tournament 

Biggest issue in this would be the rules of recruiting & any player payments - This move could really impact the schools left out 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ibanez said:

SEC- Again, no one. If someone was in trouble I'd imagine it's Vanderbilt and Mississippi State.

Big 12- Iowa State, Kansas State, and TCU are the most likely. West Virginia and Baylor are also not safe.

B1G- Rutgers would definitely get cut. They shouldn't be in the B1G anyway. It's ridiculous. Can't see no one else getting cut but Illinois is probably disposable.

PAC-12- Washington State is gone. Oregon State is most likely gone. Utah  shouldn't feel safe. I also think Cal and Stanford should entertain the possibility that no one cares about them but those two are probably safe.

The only Independent that matters is Notre Dame. I remember listing an article last year about what P5 conferences, coaches, and AD's think of BYU and I'm convinced BYU is a G5 team that is just more respected than the others but not really liked.

So, that is 16 teams that could be dropped from the P5 and that was a struggle and some of those are not likely. Wake Forest would be protected by the other Carolina schools, realistically Cal, Stanford, and Vandy would be protected. Northwesteen and Purdue, protected  The only sure fire cuts are Rutgers and Washington State. For those who has traveled and has been in Pullman, it's insane that WSU is a power 5 school.

I think the most likely scenario is the P5 schools expand to about 80 and then break off. I don't see them leaving out the academies. I just don't. Especially Army and Navy. Also, BYU won't get left out. You take 10 or so more schools that will be Independent or form a conference and that would be it.

Let me see if I get what you have said before, and what you believe now. You believe that BSU is leaving the MWC in March do you still believe that ?

You believe that Utah should not feel safe if this very unlikely shuffle happens, Well Utah has become a member of the AAU academically which is important to schools in the Pac-12 also we are spending $80 million on our stadium for a expansion which is  needed. the capacity will be over 51,000 We are a upper division school in football in the Pac-12. I have no fear of the future as far as Utah goes.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

it's coming............just a matter of cleaning up some internal matters & maybe even cutting some current P5's loose to create a nice 4 conference group of 12/14 schools (48 to 56 total) 

There are currently 65 P5 and 65 G5 schools.  I always thought we could see 4 x 16 team conferences at the P5 level.  12 and 14 would work also, although i can't see cutting 17 teams to get from 65 down to 48.  I think there would be major pushback from schools with deep pockets if they tried to get much smaller than 64 teams.  I was thinking it was 5-10 years down the road for the official breakaway in football.  Maybe with the chatter it could happen a little sooner.  At the G5 level,  AAC, MWC, CUSA, MAC, and Sun Belt stay roughly the same plus or minus a team or two.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

Let me see if I get what you have said before, and what you believe now. You believe that BSU is leaving the MWC in March do you still believe that ?

You believe that Utah should not feel safe if this very unlikely shuffle happens, Well Utah has become a member of the AAU academically which is important to schools in the Pac-12 also we are spending $80 million on our stadium for a expansion which is  needed. the capacity will be over 51,000 We are a upper division school in football in the Pac-12. I have no fear of the future as far as Utah goes.

Here I thought you were a Utah State fan. 

15 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Here I thought you were a Utah State fan. 

I went to the U, but when I got transferred to Logan I met some aggie coach's, and became a fan of USU as well as the U. I'm a long time USU donor, and season ticket holder, I go to a Ute football game once and awhile.

In Utah we can love more than one don't you know

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 2
8 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Not a chance in hell the B1G drops Rutgers.

"In expanding its scholastic footprint, the Big Ten also increased the value of the BTN's New York and D.C. subscribers. According to SNL Kagan data, cable operators pay an estimated "in-market" rate of $1 per sub per month, more than double the $0.44 fees charged outside the conference's home markets. Cablevision alone serves 2.64 million video customers in New York, New Jersey and southwestern Connecticut; with the upgraded fee in place, BTN sees its annual payout from the operator rise to around $31.7 million from $13.9 million"

https://adage.com/article/media/east-young-man-expansion-a-boon-big-ten-network/300748"

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

I did believe Boise State is leaving. I still do but this season has really screw es everything up. And if FOX and CBS continues to lay out the extra cash to make everyone happy Boise State might be content staying as always having an outside shot at the access bowl.

I don't believe there would be a split. Not til the end of the new TV deals anyway. So what? Probably a decade away? And I do think all of the P5 teams are safe except WSU and Rutgers. There the B1G hates Rutgers and wished they could have a do over for either Missouri or Kansas. But me picking teams to get dropped was me making a point. Even trying to select teams conferences would drop....even those teams would make no sense to cut  Hence why I said they would add a few more and not drop some.

I had read somewhere about a break off by the P5. Similar to this one but they would want 80-85 teams. Don't remember the specifics but it had to do with scheduling and travel. And they were talking to B1G Presidents and other B1G officials.

I spent several hours looking for the article and have never found it again.

Oh, since I guess you are a Utah fan the reason I said Utah might get chosen is just because you were one of the new schools in the conference. I'm sure if every conference member was told locked three or four to drop Utah gets chosen by every one. Cal schools are gonna stay together. Zona schools will as well. And Oregon and Washington probably care more about each other than their younger brothers. That's just the way it is.