Ibanez

Is the P5 breakaway coming sooner than we thought?

You have to download the file to read the it but it's pretty telling of where it is going and it's pretty damn bad news for the G5 and Indy's including Army and BYU.

8 minutes ago, alum93 said:

61% seems like a low number.  Why wouldn't it be much higher?  

Just a guess but schools like Oregon State and Iowa State are not built like Clemson and Alabama. 

• Like 1
Just now, Ibanez said:

Just a guess but schools like Oregon State and Iowa State are not built like Clemson and Alabama. 

Exactly this ^^^

After they cut out the G5 Pretenders, the Coat-Tail Hangers On (I'm taking to you, Washington State!) are next! 

Imagine a pie with fewer pieces and much higher revenue per program...that's the end game for the Blue Bloods.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Good point, that's only like 40 schools (rounded)

• Like 1

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is the conferences with the most money and freedom are complaining about both of those things. I don't have any idea where this is going but I fear it will erode fandom of the sport like we've never seen. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

Uh oh @#1Stunnerimage.png.6492df6527ab503d634ec176f7a26f6b.png 

Huh?

I don't think BYU's leadership wants to spend that much on athletics.

They are fine playin in the WCC and indy

But, if its a problem, BYU will simply contact US Senators (BYU grads) to do an anti-trust hearing on this.  This won't go anywhere because of politics. 

11 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Huh?

I don't think BYU's leadership wants to spend that much on athletics.

They are fine playin in the WCC and indy

But, if its a problem, BYU will simply contact US Senators (BYU grads) to do an anti-trust hearing on this.  This won't go anywhere because of politics. 

But they won't be on the P5. They will be stuck with the MWC, AAC, MAC, Sunbelt, and CUSA.

Just now, Ibanez said:

But they won't be on the P5. They will be stuck with the MWC, AAC, MAC, Sunbelt, and CUSA.

Yes, that is my point.  

I don't think that BYU's administration cares to be part of an arms race, and simply views college athletics as the good old college spirit sort of thing.  They will be fine with the G5.

I think that BYU's admin loves being in the WCC for most sports, and is fine with Football as is.  (If they cared they'd spend a whole lot more than football than they do).

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Yes, that is my point.  

I don't think that BYU's administration cares to be part of an arms race, and simply views college athletics as the good old college spirit sort of thing.  They will be fine with the G5.

I think that BYU's admin loves being in the WCC for most sports, and is fine with Football as is.  (If they cared they'd spend a whole lot more than football than they do).

I think you're wrong. I don't think anyone in the G5 wants to be left behind and if it does happen and some schools don't get pay games, I can see a large chunk dropping football.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
29 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I think you're wrong. I don't think anyone in the G5 wants to be left behind and if it does happen and some schools don't get pay games, I can see a large chunk dropping football.

Part of the problem of the arms race is that schools are over spending to keep up with a certain level, say lower level P5,  and they don't have the revenue to justify.  Take away chasing the P5 money and i think most, if not all, G5 schools will stay at the same level.  Right now the split is 65 P5 and 65 G5.  I can easily see those 65 G5 just continuing to play each other.  Is Wyoming vs CSU going to mean less to the fans because the SEC won't play MWC schools anymore?  I don't see the interest going away if P5 chose to break away.

4 hours ago, alum93 said:

Wonder if insiders are talking about thinning the P5 ranks some - There's some P5 schools that just got lucky & might be cut loose 

• Cheers 1
4 hours ago, Ibanez said:

it's coming............just a matter of cleaning up some internal matters & maybe even cutting some current P5's loose to create a nice 4 conference group of 12/14 schools (48 to 56 total) 

• Like 1