Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AztecMD

Transfers will not have to sit out a year under new proposal

40 minutes ago, AztecMD said:

https://www.si.com/college/2020/10/13/ncaa-proposal-transfer-immediate-eligibility

Wyoming, Utah State and Fresno are f***ed.  Discuss.  

Why did you single out those 3 schools? 

Utah State is a bit better insulated than you think as 70% of the football roster comes from the state of Utah. I think USU will be OK in this scenario. Have you ever seen a spectrum crowd in full force? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

14 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Why did you single out those 3 schools? 

Utah State is a bit better insulated than you think as 70% of the football roster comes from the state of Utah. I think USU will be OK in this scenario. Have you ever seen a spectrum crowd in full force? 

Because in the opinion of most D-1 athletes their locations are not desirable if they have the chance to be rerecruited and go elsewhere.  SDSU, Boise, UNLV will dramatically benefit from this rule change....maybe CSU, maybe Hawaii but thats about it.  The K-States, Oregon States,  Wazzu and every other midlevel Power 5 in a crappy location will get rocked by this as well.  The tectonic plates of the NCAA just shifted dramatically and I can't wait to see where it all shakes out. 

8 minutes ago, AztecMD said:

Because in the opinion of most D-1 athletes their locations are not desirable if they have the chance to be rerecruited and go elsewhere.  SDSU, Boise, UNLV will dramatically benefit from this rule change....maybe CSU, maybe Hawaii but thats about it.  The K-States, Oregon States,  Wazzu and every other midlevel Power 5 in a crappy location will get rocked by this as well.  The tectonic plates of the NCAA just shifted dramatically and I can't wait to see where it all shakes out. 

Wow, that's fantastic and proven accurate analysis.  Football players and recruits will assuredly go to pre-determined list of 'desirable locations'.  Congratulations to UNLV and Hawaii in all of their past top high school recruiting classes in the MWC when recruits were free to pick any school of their choosing with the most desirable of locations!  Oh wait, that never happened...

4 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Wow, that's fantastic and proven accurate analysis.  Football players and recruits will assuredly go to pre-determined list of 'desirable locations'.  Congratulations to UNLV and Hawaii in all of their past top high school recruiting classes in the MWC when recruits were free to pick any school of their choosing with the most desirable of locations!  Oh wait, that never happened...

Success in the MWC gives those athletes a choice to be re-recruited.  Most MWC athletes would have signed with USC or Bama out of high school if they could have but reality is a stubborn thing.  There is a world of difference between success recruiting high school athletes and success in the transfer market.  High school players want to be on the news and put on the blue blood hat for their family and friends....transfers have been humbled seeing the talent surrounding them and typically just want to start or log significant minutes.   There is a hierarchy in college athletics whether you want to admit it or not and high school recruiting typically falls in line with it.  The news today boils down to how likely a player is to stay with the program that recruited them if they have significant success.  I really like SDSU's odds here and as previously stated don't like Utah States (or similar schools).  Guys like Josh Allen would likely move on in this new world when given the opportunity.   SDSU will lose some star power as well but I think we will clean up in talent coming down from the power 5.  We will of course see but I am ecstatic by the news today.   

Its the right move. I have no problem wit hit. Give them a one time opportunity to transfer. Its only fair wit hthe amount of coachs that get to move around without penalty. Even if it ends up hurting smaller schools it is the right decision.

And I think its effect on smaller schools is overblown. Sure will some athletes leave to a bigger school as soon as they proved themselves, sure if it happens in their early years but that already happens some. But others will like the situation they are in and stay even if they have the chance to move to a bigger school. Also players at bigger schools that get beat out will have a chance to move as well and could end up at smaller schools the same way. 

2 minutes ago, AztecMD said:

Success in the MWC gives those athletes a choice to be re-recruited.  Most MWC athletes would have signed with USC or Bama out of high school if they could have but reality is a stubborn thing.  There is a world of difference between success recruiting high school athletes and success in the transfer market.  High school players want to be on the news and put on the blue blood hat for their family and friends....transfers have been humbled seeing the talent surrounding them and typically just want to start or log significant minutes.   There is a hierarchy in college athletics whether you want to admit it or not and high school recruiting typically falls in line with it.  The news today boils down to how likely a player is to stay with the program that recruited them if they have significant success.  I really like SDSU's odds here and as previously stated don't like Utah States (or similar schools).  Guys like Josh Allen would likely move on in this new world when given the opportunity.   SDSU will lose some star power as well but I think we will clean up in talent coming down from the power 5.  We will of course see but I am ecstatic by the news today.   

Call it for what it is - this is just rambling speculation not grounded in any realities.  But even the logic itself is poor at best - that somehow location is irrelevant to the high school recruit but later becomes relevant to the P5 player looking to transfer.  

And everyone should be happy with the news.  It has always been wrong to restrict the transfer of college student athletes while coaches are free to leave on a whim.

24 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Its the right move. I have no problem wit hit. Give them a one time opportunity to transfer. Its only fair wit hthe amount of coachs that get to move around without penalty. Even if it ends up hurting smaller schools it is the right decision.

And I think its effect on smaller schools is overblown. Sure will some athletes leave to a bigger school as soon as they proved themselves, sure if it happens in their early years but that already happens some. But others will like the situation they are in and stay even if they have the chance to move to a bigger school. Also players at bigger schools that get beat out will have a chance to move as well and could end up at smaller schools the same way. 

This. There will be a lot of P5 transfers that leave because they're riding the pine for immediate PT in G5 programs. USU has secured a number of players from the U of U that were very productive and played a lot. These were graduate transfers that *GASP* chose to go to Logan over other places. Surprising indeed. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

4 hours ago, tspoke said:

The kids in the SEC think they will be a star then when they are buried in the dept chart USU, Fresno and Wyoming step in. I think will help those 3 schools much more than it will hurt them. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

IMO this will help the MW a lot more than it will hurt. We've had a lot of great players who transferred in from the P5, but not that many who have left (except for SJSU, hopefully they're able to turn it around). If someone is a stud at this level, it's more of a risk to transfer to a P5 school in most cases.

11 hours ago, calvegas04 said:

P5 will have their pick of the top talent now out of the G5 schools

^^^^^  This ^^^^^^

If you thought keeping track of a basketball roster was Herculean, wait until you try to manage 85 kids that aren't happy because they didn't move up the depth chart in Spring Ball or Fall Camp.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

13 hours ago, bigd said:

IMO this will help the MW a lot more than it will hurt. We've had a lot of great players who transferred in from the P5, but not that many who have left (except for SJSU, hopefully they're able to turn it around). If someone is a stud at this level, it's more of a risk to transfer to a P5 school in most cases.

What this does is make it extremely difficult for a lot of G5’s to deal with the HUGE increase in cost of recruiting players because it will be recruiting chaos. There’s only one P5 transfer player I can think of for Nevada that panned out great and that was Rishard Matthews. 

I imagine you’ll see kids that were disappointed they didn’t get a P5 offer instead of going the JC route, they be more willing to sign with a G5 and then transfer after one season since there’s no 1 year wait. 

kat.jpg