Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

The Challenge to the ACA. Dumbest thing ever? Prolly.

https://www.kff.org/health-reform/issue-brief/explaining-california-v-texas-a-guide-to-the-case-challenging-the-aca/

Read that and tell me it is not just...moronic.  I figured since so much is being made of it with the SCOTUS nominee, we could discuss it.

"In the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), Congress set the shared responsibility payment at zero dollars as of January 1, 2019, leading to the current litigation. In December 2019, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit affirmed the trial court’s decision that the individual mandate is no longer constitutional because the associated financial penalty no longer “produces at least some revenue” for the federal government.2 But, instead of deciding whether the rest of the ACA must be struck down, the 5th Circuit sent the case back to the trial court for additional analysis. However, the Supreme Court has now agreed to review the case."  :lol:

11 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Why must it generate revenue to be constitutional? Is that really a thing?

Most court watchers think two things will happen here.  First They will consider whether Texas and the individual plaintiffs have standing to bring the lawsuit to challenge the individual mandate.  Good chance it gets tossed right here.  Or, they remove the mandate and keep the rest of the law intact.  These are the likely outcomes.  The handwringing is much ado about nothing, because the challenge is so patently absurd.

So, big misconception is that the individual mandate was scrapped.  No, did not do that.  What they did do was change the penalty to 0.  The entire argument now is that since it was ruled the mandate was constitutional as is it was a tax, that removing the penalty but leaving the mandate in the law means it is no longer a tax and is thus not constitutional.

Tell me that is not just the dumbest thing you have ever heard.

9 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Surprised board members are not taking a chance to laugh at the sheer stupidity of some Republicans.

This is literally the stupidest political theatre of the past two years.  

It is sheer stupidity.  Democrats are using the repeal of the ACA to club ACB like a baby seal as well as the senators and Trump.  All they had to do is just not pursue this lawsuit and actually defend the ACA like the government would nomally do.  It is as much of an unforced error as acting like a jackass and getting Covid 19.  It is as stupid as not passing the $1200 stimulus and the unemployment. 

Posted Image

3 minutes ago, Akkula said:

It is sheer stupidity.  Democrats are using the repeal of the ACA to club ACB like a baby seal as well as the senators and Trump.  All they had to do is just not pursue this lawsuit and actually defend the ACA like the government would nomally do.  It is as much of an unforced error as acting like a jackass and getting Covid 19.  It is as stupid as not passing the $1200 stimulus and the unemployment. 

The actual challenge is even dumber.  

BTW ACB just said removing the mandate would still allow the ACA to stand.

There you go dems.  The ACA is not in any danger by the SCOTUS.

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Surprised board members are not taking a chance to laugh at the sheer stupidity of some Republicans.

They have a hard on for the ACA. In case you haven't noticed, Trump has spent the last four years undoing everything "Obama." This will be the big win for him if the ACA is legally undone.

Former WH employees say he's obsessed with Obama. The last four years have been about undoing the Obama legacy. This is all about revenge for the WH Press Dinner. 

Sadly, he doesn't give a rats ass if tens of millions are left without affordable health insurance. Its about him getting the laugh and last insult against Obama.

This, truly is, Obamas fault.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

20 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

They have a hard on for the ACA. In case you haven't noticed, Trump has spent the last four years undoing everything "Obama." This will be the big win for him if the ACA is legally undone.

Former WH employees say he's obsessed with Obama. The last four years have been about undoing the Obama legacy. This is all about revenge for the WH Press Dinner. 

Sadly, he doesn't give a rats ass if tens of millions are left without affordable health insurance. Its about him getting the laugh and last insult against Obama.

This, truly is, Obamas fault.

I like your zeal buddy,  However the joke is the actual challenge.  Please read it.  It is funnier and more idiotic than  you can imagine.  It's about the mandate.

Just guessing most people are not responding because Republicans will realize how stupid they sound and Democrats will realize how stupid they sound thinking the challenge has even a 1% of overturning the ACA.

You (not you just your parties and people you vote for) are all dumb as shit.  Carry on.

5 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Edit: Misread

10 minutes ago, Danimaji said:

Most people aren't watching the hearing. ACB isn't revealing any of her positions and the questions are all theater. Everyone knows she will be confirmed. Waste of time

The ACA challenge is the crux of the hearing, I am just stunned nobody here wants to talk about the knitty gritty of it and laugh at Texas GOP with me.  Even if doing so is admitting the ACA is not under any threat on November 10th.

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The ACA challenge is the crux of the hearing, I am just stunned nobody here wants to talk about the knitty gritty of it and laugh at Texas GOP with me.  Even if doing so is admitting the ACA is not under any threat on November 10th.

I'd take the time to laugh at them, but I'm afraid I'll have to take them seriously since they've successfully suppressed absentee voting in urban counties. They've limited each county to one dropbox

3 minutes ago, Danimaji said:

I'd take the time to laugh at them, but I'm afraid I'll have to take them seriously since they've successfully suppressed absentee voting in urban counties. They've limited each county to one dropbox

Take your lulz when you can get em I say.

5 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I like your zeal buddy,  However the joke is the actual challenge.  Please read it.  It is funnier and more idiotic than  you can imagine.  It's about the mandate.

I got that part immediately, I was responding to your query as to why they are doing this.

Its about Trump being a dickhead in order to Phuck over the Obama Legacy.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

9 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

BTW ACB just said removing the mandate would still allow the ACA to stand.

Link?

I’m trying to find this in any of the articles on the hearing, would be grateful if you could provide one with the quote.  

30 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Link?

I’m trying to find this in any of the articles on the hearing, would be grateful if you could provide one with the quote.  

I saw it too. Though when asked for simple "yes" or "no" questions on things, she really played "ring around the rosie".

I also found it funny that the fed gov is just pushing to overturn the mandate and protections for pre existing conditions while telling the public they will protect pre existing conditions coverage. 

4 minutes ago, tspoke said:

I also found it funny that the fed gov is just pushing to overturn the mandate and protections for pre existing conditions while telling the public they will protect pre existing conditions coverage. 

It's like they WANT to lose elections.  First year I will not be voting for a single Republican on the down ballet.  And not just because this woman looks great on a horse.

Jordan wins Idaho's Democratic gubernatorial primary

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It's like they WANT to lose elections.  First year I will not be voting for a single Republican on the down ballet.  And not just because this woman looks great on a horse.

Jordan wins Idaho's Democratic gubernatorial primary

Did you have a link to that ACB quote?