Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

As of 10/11 do you think it was a good decision for the MW to delay the start of football season?

Obviously there are benefits to delaying and would have been benefits to starting  on 9/4. Basically "football" wise looks like it would have been better to start 9/4 but "health" wise looks (at least at this moment) it was smart to wait.

9/4

-More games on major tv networks. Heck could have had a prime time CBS game the first few weeks until the SEC started.

-OOC games. Sure would have been mostly vs BYU/AAC/CUSA/Sun Belt but would still give teams a chance to sch 1-2 OOC in additional to the 8 conference games

-More flexibility to make up games. Would have had an extra 1-2 weeks at the end of the season to make up missed conference games. 

-Easier chance for Boise/Air Force/whoever to sneak into the polls. Very possible both Boise/Air Force would have been ranked.

-Easier to hold on to players. I mean Fresno literally lost their top defensive player because of the delay and lost their punter. 

10/24

-Easier access to COVID testing.

-More COVID knowledge (ie we have seen other conferences deal with it, the MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL also have better understanding of the disease). We basically can see a few teams might get hit with COVID but on the whole most of the season will likely get played. 

-More players already exposed to COVID which could help to lessen potential outbreaks (ie say 9/4 5% of MW football players have had COVID, by 10/24 that number will be higher)

-Avoided COVID upticks in certain MW areas (Fresno was spiking for a bit)

-Avoided the wildfires. Those would have likely put Fresno/San Jose/Nevada out of commission for a week or two 

-Still have a shot at the Access bowl

Of course I wanted a full season of fb. But, Covid-wise, this is the right thing to do.

I hope the late start has caused MW football fans and administrators alike to look at the poor decisions by other conferences and not repeat them. This way, we can have a better fb season than the other conferences. A season without cancelled games and stupid fans doing stupid things.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Hindsight is a luxury only politicians can afford. Everything looks very different in the world 4 months later. It will look different still in another month as well. Just remember, it’s still 2020for another few months.

11 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Hindsight is a luxury only politicians can afford. Everything looks very different in the world 4 months later. It will look different still in another month as well. Just remember, it’s still 2020for another few months.

I said at the time that it was stupid to cancel.

The California schools wouldn’t have been allowed to practice and or play in September anyway.  Actually I don’t think Nevada or UNLV would’ve been allowed to play either, neither would New Mexico. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

19 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Seems like it was the only choice. Rapid tests were the game-changer. Without those, we’d still be talking about a spring season.

Exactly. Until quick testing turnaround was available, the MWC presidents weren’t going to budge. The decision to go ahead was made in mid to late September. At that point a month was necessary for teams to get ready for the season. 

It was a stupid decision.   No reason to cancel the season 2 months before it’s starts.  You could even cancel right before the season starts if needed, but the unfortunately, the MW has too many liberal governors that the MW presidents have to follow to keep financial funding of their schools.

I think the people in charge are doing the best job they can. We’re in a different place than we were in the summer leading up to the start of the season. I’m just grateful to have Wolf Pack football.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Yes, just look at Houston, Notre Dame and others who are muddling their way through the chaos.  It was a good decision to let those teams flail around a bit and I hope the MWC learned enough from them to not allow chaos into its season.

16 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

Yes, just look at Houston, Notre Dame and others who are muddling their way through the chaos.  It was a good decision to let those teams flail around a bit and I hope the MWC learned enough from them to not allow chaos into its season.

:lol::rotflmfao:

Sorry, but I had to ask myself which MWC you were referring to.  Otherwise...good points.

To matter of fact cancel was the wrong decision.

They should have just postponing the start date until it was safe.

As such, we won't know until after the season happens.

If there turns out there was an outbreak and something bad happens to an MWC Player, I'm going to feel terrible.

It was a political decision.  There is no way CA, HI, CO, or NM would have allowed it to happen earlier.  Likely the same story in other states.  I'm still pretty unsure if it will go off as planned for exactly those reasons.

Had figuring out a way to make it happen been a priority, then we absolutely should have started on schedule (if we had opponents to play), but it wasn't a priority.  The priority was to shut down as much as possible.

Starting late leaves us almost no leeway to reschedule based on the revised criteria for safety.  Yeah, we should have started earlier, but then again I should have bought Apple stock in the '70's.  It's all moot now.